• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 899 Views - Last Post: 04 February 2008 - 08:16 PM

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

This is pissing me off.

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:25 AM

Technically this could be in the networking forum but it's more of a rant then anything...

My big project this weekend was completely redoing my home office. 2 brand new desks, other new furniture.. it's like an entirely new room in here.

When I got it all set back up my network decided it needed to play games with me, right now I'm running a standard Linksys router, commercial class switch and a couple VoIP adapters connected via a long span cable to a cable modem.

I'm dropping all kinds of packets, at first I thought it was the cable from my desktop to the switch, then I noticed that my file server is also dropping packets, so I thought maybe it was the switch itself or the cable going to the router. I'm running pings to my router and out to a Level3 DNS server and I'm noticing that packets to the router drop at the same time as the internet which means it's a switch or router problem.

I'm heading to Office Max to pick up a new router, switch, and 25' cable. I'm done doing my day job at home.

I do "find the problem" diagnostics all-day-every-day at work, and now I'm doing my job at home. My question to you folks is, do you ever get into the same kind of situation? Get as annoyed as I do?

Discuss,

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: This is pissing me off.

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: This is pissing me off.

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:38 AM

Do i get frustrated?

Hell yes.

My computer seems to be falling apart recently and i think i am way overdue for reformatting and starting a clean install of windows. I would do it this very second if i didnt need my computer for coursework.

I think i can get really worked up over the stupidest things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:48 AM

I always do my job at home, but I think for me it's a little different than for you Marko since I do contract programming from home (along with tutorials & snippets). Now I did have to do a lot of network troubleshooting here at home when I first set up my new wireless network and installed the new access points (living room & front porch, for those nice summer nights when I want to be outside).

Now, if I didn't love programming as much as I do I think it would upset me if I had to do my job at home as well, so I feel your pain :)

P.S: Right now I'm fighting connectivity issues simply because we're in the middle of a huge winter storm thats already dumped over 11 inches with more on the way (and more coming down). Thats a big downfall to living in the country, with weather like this you lose power, phone (and internet), but I cant hunt in my backyard in the city lol!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:26 AM

I'm always having fun at my house, i have one computer with XP SP2 that i made in late november of '07 that refuses to work correctly. When I upgraded to SP2 from SP1 for the third time 2 days ago so that i could get VS '08, the thing decided again not to give me a taskbar. This computer is soo much faster than my dell from '03 thats a freakin budget PC. So i have a small network linking them so that i can have internet on both. The only problem is that my old dell is running SP1 and does everything correctly, but 20 times slower. It literally takes me .09 seconds on average to refresh most webpages, but on my dell, it takes me nearly 8 seconds. And when i compile code, don't even get me started. im using VS '03 on it and to compile the simplest bit of code, such as a hello world program takes nearly 30 seconds. There is such a difference in the system's reaction time that it makes me mad that i have to use the old computer for a lot of things seeing as the new one refuses to work properly. I know i could just buy a new hard drive and have the old one run SP2, but I own some games that only work on SP2 and i highly doubt gears of war would run on that thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

View Postferrari12508, on 27 Jan, 2008 - 01:26 PM, said:

And when i compile code, don't even get me started. im using VS '03 on it and to compile the simplest bit of code, such as a hello world program takes nearly 30 seconds.

This is likely a compound problem - not just your system. VS is a serious pig for resources...there are much lighter IDEs out there. Perhaps one of them might increase performance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

And when i compile code, don't even get me started. im using VS '03 on it and to compile the simplest bit of code, such as a hello world program takes nearly 30 seconds.

Actually I find VS 03 very slow. VS 2005 has much better speed. I keep 03 installed for when I need to develop something more robust since I only have express editions otherwise, but I notice major slow downs in both startup and compiling in VS 03.

Amadeus is right about it being a resource pig which I think is part of the problem. It is loading a bunch of stuff you never use for every project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:58 PM

Yea well the computer doesnt help either, with a whopping 256MBs of RAM and a 2 GHz celeron, the thing takes a good amount of time to do anything. '08 express is pretty nice with all the little features and everything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:21 PM

View Postferrari12508, on 27 Jan, 2008 - 11:58 AM, said:

with a whopping 256MBs of RAM and a 2 GHz celeron

Yeah that will slow you down a bit too. :lol:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The king of Nynex
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:57 PM

Most of the code I've written so far has beeen J2ME in a text editor (no ide at all) so now that I'm beginning to use VS '03 I'm noticing the compile time but I just upgraded my work pc so it's no longer much of a problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:03 PM

don't dip your components in water to clean them next time marko.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:17 PM

haha i read some article saying that cleaning the inside of your computer is vital and it isnt bad if you spray it with water and wipe the parts with a sponge and or rag and i just thought "if i ever see someone doing this, im gonna smash the computer"

To sloth's post under me

I swear i saw this, and i thought to myself that it was a joke, and it might have been, but it was so serious, it wasnt like that "your son might be a hacker if..." thing

This post has been edited by ferrari12508: 27 January 2008 - 06:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

please.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:09 PM

i guess theoretically , if you really wanted to you could spray your components with some olive oil or vinegar, or whatever one of those things you use when you run your computer completely submerged in a tank of some sort.

i think its olive oil. oh who cares.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

Mineral oil, I posted a video before. Mineral oil doesn't go bad and the design in the video was cheap to build from an eclipse fishtank. It was so weird, first they tried it with the PSU to see if it would explode and work, and it worked, so they did a low and and a high end computer.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 27 January 2008 - 07:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• me editor am smartastic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

When I was looking to build my computer, I ran across an article recommending using the dishwasher to clean one's motherboard...I'll try to find it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +