5 Replies - 1124 Views - Last Post: 19 February 2008 - 04:02 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Java: is the future as bright as we used to think?

Post icon  Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:35 PM

I began programming at the turn of the millennium, and at the time, Java was hyped to be the next big thing. People told about how it would be the de facto programming language for all web-based applications and small electronics. Its portability was a godsend compared to other languages. Does this still hold true today? Has Adobe/Macromedia taken over a large share of the market, and will they continue to do so? What is Java being used most for today?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Java: is the future as bright as we used to think?

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Java: is the future as bright as we used to think?

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:13 AM

It is used for a lot of things, but it is not necessarily the best for everything.
I have experience in the following fields:
- for portable games on mobile/cell phones J2ME is clearly above the pack.
- for large enterprise web applications J2EE is definitely the way to go, since the framework implements many things, that the competition does not support - it is also open source, and standard, so you are not locked into one vendor's implementation (cough, cough...) For smaller applications it is usually overkill, an excellent book on this is Bitter EJB
- for desktop applications it's portability is still a big advantage, and it is catching up to native implementations in many areas. See Bitter Java for more...
I think it has definitely found it's area, where it can excel. It is not the Holy Grail, but it definitely has it's place, and it doesn't seem dated at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:41 AM

View PostCyborg Ninja, on 29 Jan, 2008 - 09:35 PM, said:

I began programming at the turn of the millennium, and at the time, Java was hyped to be the next big thing. People told about how it would be the de facto programming language for all web-based applications and small electronics. Its portability was a godsend compared to other languages. Does this still hold true today? Has Adobe/Macromedia taken over a large share of the market, and will they continue to do so? What is Java being used most for today?

i hope its still going to be widly used for comps and web apps
in the future !
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:02 AM

I think Java is the next big thing as long as your web applications are big. For large businesses who want a stable Enterprise platform, Java is perfect. Especially with all of the Java frameworks that are available, like JSF, Struts and Spring...there are loads more. The "big thing" now, of course, is Ruby on Rails. There are a lot of CGI frameworks available for languages like PHP, Perl, Ruby, Python etc...All of those are popular, its just a matter of what exactly the web application needs to be able to do, and who it will be doing it for.

I primarily use Java at my day job...and Perl on the side for smaller scale web apps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:38 AM

The problem I have with Java is that there are so many implementations. No real standard, so something you write for one java, doesn't work in another. Also the versions, since it wants to be whole computer than a language, you have to deal with that also. All these things together kinda goes against the universalness of the idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:02 PM

The different implementations can cause problems, that's for sure. We develop the same application for a wide range of platforms (AIX, Windows, and a bunch of others), and sometimes you do come across some minor glitches, but I think it is still much more comfortable than any other language. The VM concept does have it's drawbacks, but right now it seems to be the best compromise to solve this problem.
The API documentation is definitely loose at some points, but id you are into this business for a while, you can take it into consideration.
I would say that as long as we are talking about the core VMs, they work fine most of the time. However some application containers do seem to have really big implementation problems (Oracle anyone?).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1