C++ Data Structures

Address Book-Card Generator Program Using a Linked List

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 3114 Views - Last Post: 03 February 2008 - 04:54 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

C++ Data Structures

Post icon  Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:14 PM

This program will have names and addresses saved in a linked list. In addition, a birthday and anniversary date will be saved with each record.

When the program is run, it will search for a birthday or an anniversary using the current date to compare with the saved date. It will then generate the appropriate card.

Because this will be an interactive system, your program should begin by displaying a menu. Items on the menu should include:

Enter a new name into the address book
Delete a name from the address book
Change a name or date in the address book
Generate birthday cards
Generate anniversary cards
Exit the card program

Each of these sections will call individual functions to perform their appropriate task.

This address book is to be sorted in alphabetical order. Be aware of this when you are entering, deleting, or changing the name, and plan your code accordingly.

For this project, create and display the card created on the screen (you do not need to print it). You may design the layout of the card as you wish. For example, it could be:

Dear ,

Hope your birthday is really wonderful and this coming year is the best yet!

Love,

Joanne

Deliverables:

Your C++ source code with any header files
Your executable code
A document detailing how you will test your program
An overview document, giving the name of each file submitted and its purpose, as well as a few paragraphs on your experiences coding the linked lists

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C++ Data Structures

• me editor am smartastic
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C++ Data Structures

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:57 PM

Dream.In.Code has a policy by which we prefer to see a good faith effort on your part before providing source code for homework assignments. Please post the code you have written in an effort to resolve the problem, and our members would be happy to provide some guidance. Be sure to include a description of any errors you are encountering as well.

Post your code like this: :code:

Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:56 AM

I have no idea.

Please help me otherwise I am going to be fail the exam.

Reply ASAP

View Postjjhaag, on 2 Feb, 2008 - 11:57 PM, said:

Dream.In.Code has a policy by which we prefer to see a good faith effort on your part before providing source code for homework assignments. Please post the code you have written in an effort to resolve the problem, and our members would be happy to provide some guidance. Be sure to include a description of any errors you are encountering as well.

Thanks.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• system("revolution");
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:39 AM

Without any effort we cannot provide help.

View PostMelissaBrown, on 3 Feb, 2008 - 12:56 AM, said:

I have no idea.

Please help me otherwise I am going to be fail the exam.

Reply ASAP

View Postjjhaag, on 2 Feb, 2008 - 11:57 PM, said:

Thanks.

This post has been edited by PennyBoki: 03 February 2008 - 03:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:54 AM

View PostMelissaBrown, on 3 Feb, 2008 - 07:56 AM, said:

I have no idea.

Break it down into simple sub-problems, and start out by solving each sub-problem on its own. eg, you may begin writing a program which does nothing else except stores a single address book entry. When you've done that, and tested it to make sure it works the way in which you'd like, you could expand the program to store multiple address book entries. Problems may have something of a natural order to them - for example, you can't add/edit/delete address book entries when you haven't created the structure which holds your address book data.

If you're having trouble understanding what's being asked of you, take a step back and think about what the final program might look like from the user's perspective, and what the user might be able to do. This should give you some ideas about what the program needs to do (Although it seems that your assignment's description has been fairly straight up about what's involved)

Don't try and solve the entire assignment at once. There's no need to worry about user interaction when you're just trying to write the framework of the data structure - you can run your program using some pre-set data or variables that you add to the program for testing.

If you run into problems, post your attempt, and what you're having problems with, but don't expect anyone to complete parts of your program for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1