• +

24 Replies - 5018 Views - Last Post: 05 February 2008 - 09:53 AM

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Software VS Civil

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:47 PM

View PostWXY, on 4 Feb, 2008 - 09:11 PM, said:

It was very helpful, thank you. You could probably imagine that it was difficult to think about the industry when everyone you know would talk about it like it's plutonium >__>. Though what I would like to know more about is like, the typical working conditions & the ups and downs of commercially involved programmers, if you wouldn't mind telling me about that. Cause as of now, whether I was in a team with a big project or doing a one man job on a small project I've always been able to work at my own speed in my relaxed home environment and everything seemed more good than bad.

It's not all code and games so to speak. I work currently as a programmer in the financial sector. My day to day task consist of following a series of meetings, supporting our product and working on the next release. We have a process called the SDLC lifecycle. My first project we met for a few hours and discussed what the client wanted, after 4 revisions by our Business Analyst on her 65 page requirements document we got the nod and created some mock-ups. Then we did the Tech Design documents. I had 2 of the 7 documents. The mainframer had 2 and the guy driving the project had 3. My documents were 30 pages long full of code I never even put on a computer. Once we reviewed the code and made corrections to the grammatical errors, I dug into coding and unit testing.

We migrated the code to a test environment and the BA's do everything in there power to break our code so we can in turn fix it. Then tickets pour in for other issues regarding our current releases and we work production support all the while coding a product that is on schedule to be released way before it should be.

After all is said and done, we repeat the process.

Hope this helps, welcome to the life of a Code Monkey!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Hawk - 나야나 नयन:
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:40 PM

View Postfooboo, on 4 Feb, 2008 - 06:29 PM, said:

Duh....Hackers...the movie...1995...Angelina Jolie...Johnny Lee Miller.

Right, well, I'll download it now then.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Stomach
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:13 AM

You can take two courses...both SE and CE.

I have know a person here who is an Electronics and Com. Engineer, Computer Engineer and Electrical Engineer. Now his present job is Senior Network Engineer in a giant Telecom company.

So what's wrong if you have a lot of degrees? Education is fun. :)

This post has been edited by nirvanarupali: 05 February 2008 - 12:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:09 AM

View Postnirvanarupali, on 5 Feb, 2008 - 06:13 PM, said:

So what's wrong if you have a lot of degrees? Education is fun. :)

Money doesn't grow on trees, thats whats wrong here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:06 AM

Of course money doesnt grow on trees, it is trees.

That just made me picture some moron going into a store with wood and trying to pay for something.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:28 AM

View PostWXY, on 4 Feb, 2008 - 09:11 PM, said:

Though what I would like to know more about is like, the typical working conditions & the ups and downs of commercially involved programmers, if you wouldn't mind telling me about that. Cause as of now, whether I was in a team with a big project or doing a one man job on a small project I've always been able to work at my own speed in my relaxed home environment and everything seemed more good than bad.

Most people who like to program would be happy if they were just left alone to do that. Sadly, as Satre famously said, "hell is other people." Unless you are a total peon, you'll find yourself dealing with lots of people and probably attending meetings. Your basic job is to interpret what people want and make it happen.

However, your real job is to read minds and tell the future. People wont know what they want until a project is mostly done. Then they'll point at everything they see and ask for changes, even though they're the ones who requested such things originally. Be not discouraged.

The fun is in the programing, after all. Don't get too attached to anything you do; someone who has no clue will come by and change it. On the flip side, only another programmer really understands how long something will and should take. Only another programmer has any clue what you're doing or talking about.

Projects take as long as they take. If you take forever, you'll get fired. If you do good work, you'll get some extra consideration. That's just normal business. Communication, the skill programmers and engineering types are considered horrible at, is the most useful ability in the work place. Even if you suck at it, figure out how to convey things that will put others at ease. As long as everyone you have to deal with believes you're hard at work doing your mystical programming thing, they'll leave you alone.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:41 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 5 Feb, 2008 - 11:28 AM, said:

Most people who like to program would be happy if they were just left alone to do that. Sadly, as Sartre famously said, "hell is other people."

This sentence alone tells me you've obviously been in the game for a while :). Truer words were never spoken. your entire post rang like a quick synopsis of my own experiences over the years. The Dilbert put the icing on the cake.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:48 AM

*applause*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:48 AM

Learning to get along with other programmers is an art form >_<
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:53 AM

Oh yeah - well....

My C++ is better than your Visual Basic, and... and...
you can take your .NET and shove it up your web 2.0

B)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +