9 Replies - 1678 Views - Last Post: 15 February 2008 - 11:17 AM

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Nvidia to buy Ageia

Post icon  Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:16 AM

NVIDIA SAID it is to buy up 3D physics firm Ageia.

In a statement, chief Nvidian Jen-Hsun Huang reckons his outfit, "can now bring Geforce-accelerated Physx to hundreds of millions of gamers around the world."

More here

Sounds interesting.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Nvidia to buy Ageia

• DIC Hawk - 나야나 नयन:
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Nvidia to buy Ageia

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:36 AM

Ooohh, I'm drooling already.

This post has been edited by Nayana: 05 February 2008 - 04:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:08 AM

This could be a good thing!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:00 AM

Now I only wait for Intel to buy Nvidia.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:13 PM

View Post1lacca, on 5 Feb, 2008 - 09:00 AM, said:

Now I only wait for Intel to buy Nvidia.

Lol, so true... they really need to move into the gfx card business.
Intel has owned in processors since what.. Pentium 3? I'm sure that if they bought nVidia they could pump out the best of the best for less..
And with the quad-core market starting to really emerge, dual-core prices are dropping too!
I don't get why they don't make chips that are TRULY faster than 3-3.2g. I know 2 2.4ghz does more for 2 programs.
But if your running one single program on a 3+ghz processor, isn't it faster than having 2 2.4's? Unless you use multi-threading or something like that.
I wish you could buy 8-cell processors :D
Pretty much the best part of the PS3 besides Linux support :o
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:25 AM

Intel is into changing the rules regarding 3D graphics. Although they are working on a discrete graphics card, they are into something much more interesting. In one or two years they want to optimize their CPUs to do ray traced graphics (they have even hired the guy who made the ray trace mod for Quake4). I think they have even demoed it, and it seems that they are on the right track.
They don't do faster chips for two reasons:
- they don't have to: DAAMIT (AMD) is unfortunately right now far behind, so they really don't have to push too hard (but if you look at the recent overclocking records, you'll see that their new chips can reach 4GHz)
- there are some technological limits
Yes, if a program is not multithreaded it will run faster on a faster single core CPU (unless you run other programs simultaneously), and today not many programs are multithreaded,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:57 PM

Intel is not going to buy Nvidia... It'd cost them too much, and there's no reason to. They have no real interest in high-performance graphics. Discrete graphics solutions; Nvidia owns the market. Integrated graphics? It's all about Intel.

And yeah.. They *could* do a Core2Duo at 3.2 GHz for the mainstream, but what's the point? A single 2.4 GHz chip is more than enough for most people. (And admit it... the average used does what? Surf the Internet, use PowerPoint and Word, and send e-mail. Maybe play Solitaire or Minesweeper.) Most people also watch DVD's and burn DVD/CDs.. That's where the advantage of a dual-core comes in... Your Internet Explorer and the rest of explorer.exe don't lag out when you hit "Burn!". The only people that go for the "truly fast" multi-core chips are developers and gamers. And 90% of the time - They'll pay the premium price. An Intel Core2Duo X6800 (which is 2x 2.93 GHz cores) is currently $1,013 on NewEgg.com. Interestingly enough; the E6850 (2x 3.0GHz cores and faster FSB) is only $293. But anyway. Most people that are looking for a high-end chip will pay a high-end price... Where Intel can make it's money back.

I'm just hoping that Nvidia's support for *NIX platforms will carry over to their new Physics Processor unit.. And we can finally get PhysX drivers for Linux (Which were promised in 2005 or 2006).

This post has been edited by MorphiusFaydal: 06 February 2008 - 11:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:47 AM

View PostMorphiusFaydal, on 6 Feb, 2008 - 10:57 PM, said:

I'm just hoping that Nvidia's support for *NIX platforms will carry over to their new Physics Processor unit.. And we can finally get PhysX drivers for Linux (Which were promised in 2005 or 2006).

Yes, PhysX drivers for linux would be great! :D

Great signature quote, btw MorphiusFaydal :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 February 2008 - 05:14 AM

View PostMorphiusFaydal, on 7 Feb, 2008 - 06:57 AM, said:

Intel is not going to buy Nvidia... It'd cost them too much, and there's no reason to. They have no real interest in high-performance graphics. Discrete graphics solutions; Nvidia owns the market. Integrated graphics? It's all about Intel.

I am agnostic about the first part, I'm not sure if Nvidia might hold any IP that might interest Intel, I was just joking about it.
However on the second part I think I have some news for you. I think you haven't heard about the Larrabee project of Intel. This might be their bridgehead into the discrete graphics arena.
Just two links to get ya started: here and here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:17 AM

And now Nvidia is putting PhysX support into all the 8-series GPUs. :) This pleases me....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1