Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: scrollbar in CSS

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: scrollbar in CSS

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:20 AM

Dream.In.Code has a policy by which we prefer to see a good faith effort on your part before providing source code for homework assignments. Please post the code you have written in an effort to resolve the problem, and our members would be happy to provide some guidance. Be sure to include a description of any errors you are encountering as well.

Post your code like this: :code:

Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:32 PM

Not exactly sure if this is what your after since you didnt give a thorough explanation. Anyway, heres how to change the color of the main body scrollbar in CSS:

<style type="text/css">

body
{
scrollbar-3dlight-color: #HEXADECIMAL;
scrollbar-arrow-color: #HEXADECIMAL;
scrollbar-base-color: #HEXADECIMAL;
scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #HEXADECIMAL;
scrollbar-face-color: #HEXADECIMAL;
scrollbar-highlight-color: #HEXADECIMAL;
scrollbar-shadow-color: #HEXADECIMAL;
}

</style>

Play around with the colors until you find something you like. There are also tools to automatically generate the code for you. Here is one: Scrollbar Color Code Generator. Incase your new to CSS, make sure you include this piece of code inside the <head></head> tags.

Hope this helps.

This post has been edited by HoHoLandaynt: 20 February 2008 - 01:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:49 PM

Just to note, only IE supports scrollbar colors. FireFox does not! Another reason to switch to IE? lol (please don't kill me firefox fans out there).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:04 PM

who needs scrollbar colors anyway?
though your post was informative HoHo, so thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Hawk - 나야나 नयन:
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:56 PM

View PostMike007, on 22 Feb, 2008 - 03:49 AM, said:

Just to note, only IE supports scrollbar colors. FireFox does not! Another reason to switch to IE? lol (please don't kill me firefox fans out there).

One of my favourite things about Firefox is that it doesn't let websites theme my taskbars.

My scroll bars belong to me. If I want them to change, I'll edit my Firefox theme myself thank you.

When I used IE in the past, it pissed me off no end when a website took the liberty of changing my scroll bars.

It's not a good design feature. Just like the <blink> tag.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:34 PM

My scroll bars belong to me.

Bill Gates:
"All your scroll bars are belong to us!"

:P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:50 PM

View PostNayana, on 21 Feb, 2008 - 09:56 PM, said:

View PostMike007, on 22 Feb, 2008 - 03:49 AM, said:

One of my favourite things about Firefox is that it doesn't let websites theme my taskbars.

My scroll bars belong to me. If I want them to change, I'll edit my Firefox theme myself thank you.

When I used IE in the past, it pissed me off no end when a website took the liberty of changing my scroll bars.

It's not a good design feature. Just like the <blink> tag.

Well i will have to disagree, i think that it shouldn't be used lightly, but if it is used right it can add to the design. A lot of designers make their own scrollbars for their flash sites, and it usually looks great. Anyway like i said sometimes it just looks awful, but like anything really, if you misuse it, it's your own problem basically.

"with great power comes great responsibility" :).

P.S
Just to spike off some more FF fans (btw i use firefox too sometimes), Bill Gates rocks! And he quite, sadly, i think :S.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:00 AM

I know this thread's been left alone for a while, but somebody needs to play the devil's adovcate for IE. It's not that it's a matter of preference, but both IE and scroll bar styling serve their purposes when needed.

1) IE is one of three commonly required browsers for compatability testing, used by those of us working with actual clients that pay us so that we can eat.

2) Scroll bar styling is really cool when applied to AJAX, ASP, and basic Javascript controls, as it allows a designer to retain elements like... oh, brand standards and what not. If a client wants consistency in style, site wide, including their branded color scheme, that doesn't mean sort of put it where you can. It means, "Hey, you were hired to make this thing work, now do it or I'll hire somebody that can."

And, as far as scrollbar slavery, Safari has it's own proprietary scroll bars and you can't do squat with those, period. Let alone the other fresh new rings of designer hell safari introduces.

You know, just saying...

~malignant
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1