7 Replies - 1055 Views - Last Post: 12 February 2008 - 05:22 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

A change in career paths.

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:41 PM

Im 15 and have sent my application for to college saying i want to do "Software Dev" but recently i have realised that here in England there isnt a real need for Programmers unlike in the US who can have big firms to go to such as Microsoft, Apple etc.

I knew a guy who was on very good money but did the support side of computers e.g. repair,maintainence.

so i was thinkin to do that and keep programming as a hobby what do you think i should do?

This post has been edited by dubs07: 12 February 2008 - 03:01 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: A change in career paths.

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A change in career paths.

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:42 PM

mostly learn how to spell 'knew'
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:43 PM

First and foremost adjust your footer with an appropriate <div> tag. ;) -Thats how we roll in the U.S.

Secondly, follow your instinct, if there are no career opportunities in England with Software Development, then find something else that you enjoy doing and keep it as a hobby.

You could always get a degree in Leisure Studies.

This post has been edited by nykc: 12 February 2008 - 02:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bug Juice Doesn't Come in a Jar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:44 PM

Pick up human-trafficking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:16 PM

I wouldn't give up on being a software dev just yet. You have to look at demand. Get a feel or what companies are hiring and how many programmers the colleges are graduating. Another route is to work for a consulting company that may have overseas clients.
Also from what I hear Ireland has a pretty big tech sector.

The other part of the equation is to consider personal development.
If your only concerned with money then it may not be an issue. However,
I would find being a software dev much more gratifying than fixing computers. Especially if I have to do it for 40+ hours a week.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:27 PM

Also keep in mind that many of big tech companies are working on a global scale and usually have offices somewhere in the UK. It is a great place to work out of to get access to the European market. So you might want to look for some of the bigger companies like Microsoft, yahoo, etc.

I run into software development companies out of the UK all the time so perhaps you are not looking in the right places?

Don't give up on it just yet. See what is out there and perhaps you can find something worth doing. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:33 PM

Even though there is a lot of IT companies in the USA, there are just as many IT companies in the USA that are outsourcing their application developments to countries like Pakistan and India.

USA programmer makes ~ 60,000$-90,000$/yr

Pakistani programmer makes ~ 4,000$-7,500$/yr

...go figure...

Plus, I wouldn't let things like that discourage you, the supply and demand is definitely up-side down with web designers, but schools are still filling up with prospective students. It comes down to how much you want to be a programmer. If you have a heart for it, just like anything then you will find a home (in the corporate environment). I remember reading a post somewhere about how to determine a good programmer:

How to recognize a good programmer - site

That site tells you that certainly, even in an environment where demand is heavy, companies only want the best! If you are that persona in the article, I would not worry about job security or job placement. You'll find something, and after proving yourself, pay raises will follow. Stick with it, you could always come over to the states...unless you have some kind of animosity towards us Americans... :crazy:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bastard Operator From Hell
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:22 PM

My dad is a programmer 110k a year but he's been there for almost 8 years. So in USA its usually different entry level starts 50k a year and up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1