5 Replies - 1328 Views - Last Post: 28 February 2008 - 12:52 PM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

The career path

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:27 PM

I have been doing job since i passed my engineering. thinking of MBA, but the competition is stiff.
Now again thinking of becoming a free lancer.
Anyone share exprience of being free lancer or share your carrer path here.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The career path

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The career path

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:48 AM

Moved to Software Development forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:39 PM

I like my nice stable consulting/services job. True I travel quite a bit, and don't have a lot of spare time to play -- and I don't have those nice bulky paydays that arrive randomly as a free lancer. Rather I opt for the steady paycheck.

I think you can make more money as a free lancer but...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:19 PM

Other side, I didn't find consulting that much fun. You're usually brought in at some point of hideous failure, that you had nothing to do with, and are expected to fix it. The pay is generally better than salaried; while you're working! If you should happen to hit a dry spell, the advantage can dwindle quick. If you're self employed in the US, tax day comes four times a year ( I hate paperwork. )

After consulting for a few years, I was happily pouched by one of my customers. The customer payed my firm a fee for stealing me away and all was good. Now I'm a salaried employee.

There is no traveling and most of the projects I deal with are ones I set into motion. Hours are regular, pay is consistent, and I get enumerable days off. (This Monday, for instance. ) Also, medical insurance is not my problem. If you make consulting cash, remember that a lot of expenses businesses pay as a matter of course become your responsibility.

For me, I'd never enter the consulting pool again. However, others find it suits and there is a potential for greater gain, along with greater risk. It really depends on how energetic you are, I think. I'm lazy, I know it, I just want to play with my toys, be left alone, and no have to do any more paperwork than necessary.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

I do both, I have a full-time salaried position and I do consulting/freelance work on the side. Granted it makes for long days, weeks, months but in the long run I'm happy with what I'm doing. Since I cant ever see myself doing anything but programming I don't mind the hours I work.

I did the freelance only path when I was younger, but when I became a father and homeowner I had to leave that lifestyle behind, and it has paid off for me. Ill be 45 and own my home, with 7.5 acres way out in the country. On the weekends in the summer I sit out on my porch, write code and listen to the creek in my front yard, or watch the animals run around.

If you're a risk taker, don't have a lot of responsibility, i.e; family, home, etc, then try the freelance route for a while, but be forewarned it may take some time to get your name out there, and become a recognized freelancer to where you can regularly get contracts. With freelance work its either feast or famine, and like baavgai I prefer the guaranteed check every 2 weeks.

Just my 2 :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:52 PM

Well, guys it all depends on the country where u wanna progress.
I lived in the following countries: USA ( :) ), Canada, Ukraine, Russia, Poland, Czech Republic, and Germany.
I gotta tell u that u don't need MBA in Russia though u do need your MBA knowledge in Canada.
If u take your studies in some other country, make sure that the diploma is recognized everywhere otherwise u will have to deal with the process of doing the local equivalent.
Okie, I went off on the tangent, to the point: I wanna get my MBA, though I currently hold MS Degree. I think it'll be huge investment into my career path and I'd suggest u to think about it too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1