6 Replies - 2204 Views - Last Post: 01 July 2011 - 04:12 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Python vs. Ruby ?

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:38 PM

Huh. I wanted to ask for some advice. Which scripting language of this two, Python and Ruby, is more useful?
Both are very modern, nice and easy to write, but ... I can't decide which one should I learn ^^. I found some comparsions between Python and Ruby, but every was very biased :/ Maybe someone could give any advice ? Thanks for answers ;-)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Python vs. Ruby ?

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Python vs. Ruby ?

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:34 PM

IMO Python is super easy to learn, lot of tutorials and references.
I do not know enough about Ruby, except alot of people recommend starting off a programming career by learning Python.

So my $0.02 is Python
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:46 PM

I can't find this "lot tutorials" ... any links maybe ? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:08 PM

Sure..

here's a couple..

A Begginers Tutorial To Python

Python Tutorials, More than 300

Python Home Page

These should get ya started.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:56 AM

I'm more of a Ruby guy myself, but I'll try not to be biased towards it. Both languages are clean, very powerful and extremely elegant.

Python has slightly more documentation and slightly more mature modules because Ruby primarily existed until very recently as a Japanese language. However with the coming of Rails, this is no more the case. Both languages are very popular now and extensively used. However there is a difference in their basic philosophy. Ruby took the 'TIMTOWTDI' approach from Perl whereas Python went in for the 'There is only one way to do it'.

This does not include the algorithms but a Python program written by different programmers look similar in comparison to two people writing the same Ruby program. You can take this as negative or positive depending upon what kind of approach you desire. Ruby will give you ultimate flexibility and tweaks in every single syntax and line of code. Python will give you uniformity.

I cannot however decide what language you should ultimately pick, but my advice would be to try both languages for a month or so and you'll have your answer clear as daylight.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:40 AM

Thanks guys :) I tried Python for some time, it's very nice, but Ruby is good too (i was using it some time ago) ... I still can't decide :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

I've been a Python programmer for almost a year and a half now and have just recently started learning Ruby.
I personally found that writing Python becomes very tedious after a while. It's true that, because it's so clean and simple, it's very easy to pick up, but I think that, once you start writing a lot of code, you get a little sick of some of the lack of expressiveness.
I also find that Python sometimes behaves awkwardly or in ways that are, shall we say, less than convenient. For instance, Python's range and xrange functions (at least in version 2.X of Python) doesn't seem capable of handling the long int type (that is, numbers > about 4 billion). In comparison, Ruby's enumerators and iterators can handle any values with ease.
While it's true that Ruby doesn't have some of the really intuitive features that Python provides (specifically things like really clean splicing syntax), it's built in functions cover most of the bases and of course, with open classes in Ruby, you're welcome to implement anything you think you might want (I wrote my own [] operator for Ruby's Enumerable class, for instance).
Anyways, I am going to vouch for Ruby. Python's a great language for beginners with an increasing community of new and experienced programmers, but Ruby just feels more fun, fresh, and expressive to me and it too is developing a fantastic (already incredibly friendly and helpful) community.

Just thought I'd put my two cents in here as well. Hope it helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1