opinions?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 1750 Views - Last Post: 06 September 2002 - 11:05 PM

• cur tu me vexas?

• View blog

Psp Vs Photoshop

Posted 16 July 2002 - 08:05 AM

I've been using PhotoShop at the office for the past two years, but now that I'm leaving my dayjob I need to buy something for myself; so last night I downloaded PSP and am quite impressed.

As far as I can tell, it can do everything I would ever need it to, and I sure don't feel the need now to dish out the cash for PhotoShop, when PSP is 1/10 the price!

I'm going to get our graphics guy to take it for a test spin, but until then, what's the opinion of those of you who have used both? What do you like better about each one?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Psp Vs Photoshop

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Psp Vs Photoshop

Posted 16 July 2002 - 08:35 AM

i havnt used photoshop for almost a year, so i may be a little off, but i think that psp is definatly a better value, its cheaper and has just about ever photoshop feature i can remember
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2002 - 12:31 PM

I just got photoshop, and i've been using PSP for a while

i think photoshop is better for adding effects and filters and such to pictures, but PSP is better for simpler tasks like resizing and such, i'm using both pretty regularly, but i think i'll move onto photoshop full time in the future
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• cur tu me vexas?

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2002 - 01:26 PM

I did notice that the filters in PSP are a little weird after being used to PhotoShop.

It has some nifty features that PhotoShop doesn't have, though (or that PhotoShop has but is a pain to find and use!) like the preset selection shapes, vector shapes and text (I've been working on PhotoShop 5.5 so this is a novelty), and a few other things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• nooneenooneenooonee
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2002 - 03:26 PM

I havn't used PSP since the 3 days, back then It was the ideal program for pixel pushing but when It comes down to it photoshop is a lot more powerful, PSP didn't support layers until late 5 and they arn't as compleate as photoshop, It is worth the price they charge but it doesn't stack up to photoshop. :)

Cheers Sam
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2002 - 04:19 PM

I still use PSP 5 as my default viewer for images on my PC since it loads instantly. I use PhotoShop for all editing and designing for web graphics and Fireworks for optimizing them for the web.

I just know where everything is in PhotoShop and all the keyboard shortcuts of the stuff I use all the time. PSP might be fine for other things too but I don't know where stuff is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Check, check, 1, 2.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2002 - 04:56 PM

Let's just say that if I got hired at a place that used PSP instead of Photoshop, I'd quit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2002 - 05:26 PM

The Neoracle, on Jul 16 2002, 05:56 PM, said:

Let's just say that if I got hired at a place that used PSP instead of Photoshop, I'd quit.

hahahahaaha

thats funny
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2002 - 08:57 PM

i bought the educational version through a friend at version 4 of photoshop. since then i've been upgrading or buying the new educational version. I haven't used much of psp so i can't rightfully judge the program, but photoshop is the industry standard and i love it. it works great for me and lets me do everything i want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• cur tu me vexas?

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2002 - 07:30 AM

smckone, on Jul 16 2002, 05:26 PM, said:

I havn't used PSP since the 3 days, back then It was the ideal program for pixel pushing but when It comes down to it photoshop is a lot more powerful, PSP didn't support layers until late 5 and they arn't as compleate as photoshop, It is worth the price they charge but it doesn't stack up to photoshop. :)

Cheers Sam

But you haven't used it since 3, so you don't really know, eh?

Industry standard or not, I don't have a thousand bucks to dish out for PhotoShop, and (honestly) don't see the need when PSP can do everything I need it to do.

Anyway, I was looking for feature comparisons. Anyone have any?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2002 - 06:14 PM

The Neoracle, on Jul 16 2002, 05:56 PM, said:

I second that! :lol:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2002 - 12:27 AM

you get what you pay for. photoshop is more powerful by far... otherwise there would be no way adobe could charge 10x what jasc is charging and still compete with them. the real difference is that photoshop is more refined for print media. if you are planning on doing print media or serious web graphics, you will need the refinement of photoshop that psp simply doesn't offer. even the actual quality of graphics themselves from the two different programs is different. photoshop is proven to have higher quality jpg and gif output (i'm not sure on other formats) than psp can possibly create. its true that photoshop has a steeper learning curve but in the end its worth it. that is why it is the choice of professional graphic designers pretty much anywhere.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• cur tu me vexas?

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2002 - 07:15 AM

ashleysucks, on Jul 31 2002, 02:27 AM, said:

you get what you pay for. photoshop is more powerful by far... otherwise there would be no way adobe could charge 10x what jasc is charging and still compete with them. the real difference is that photoshop is more refined for print media. if you are planning on doing print media or serious web graphics, you will need the refinement of photoshop that psp simply doesn't offer. even the actual quality of graphics themselves from the two different programs is different. photoshop is proven to have higher quality jpg and gif output (i'm not sure on other formats) than psp can possibly create. its true that photoshop has a steeper learning curve but in the end its worth it. that is why it is the choice of professional graphic designers pretty much anywhere.

I'm not worried about the learning curve, since I already know PhotoShop fairly well (not extraordinarily well, but enough...).

I don't plan to do much (if any) print work, aside from my own business cards or whatever, so that's not an issue.

It's mainly money that is my concern at this point... I'm sure I'll end up buying PhotoShop in the end, but not until I get some cash. :)

gif and jpg quality *is* a concern for me, so I will keep that in mind and do some comparisons.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2002 - 07:34 AM

omg, here this is what i got, it is photoshop 7, full version, no cracks or anything

[sloth edits out, please no warez on the forums, we do not condone the act of trading paid files between members, whatever you do on your on time, is your business, and should be kept that way, thank you]

i don't get why they put a winrar password on it tho.
well i hope you can make good use of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2002 - 07:50 AM

Psp is for painting pretty wee pictures.

PhotoShop is industry standard image manipulation software.

It doesn't matter what you use in the short term. Someone with a great eye for design, colour, typography etc. will always produce more engaging work than an amateur regardless of the software they're using. Amateurs often purchase the best software they can in the belief that having more buttons to press means their work will somehow be better.

What I try to consider when buying software is how well it fits with what I've got. Photoshop integrates with Illustrator better than anything else because it's by the same company. If I've got Illustrator I would therefore buy Photoshop. (That's a simplification, but you get my point.)

Additionally, in the long term, ps will develop faster than psp because it costs more and therefore Adobe have a higher development budget, and need to keep the top end of the market. If I want to do all the cool new stuff that gets introduced over the next few years I buy photoshop because I can then upgrade instead of having to buy the whole program.

At the end of the day, it depends on whether your goals are long term or short term. If they're short term then you might be better off buying psp and spending the money on some design courses at your local college (no offence intended, I don't know how good you already are).

I suppose if you can't decide, take the lead of other people by flicking around all the home pages of designers you admire and count how many of them are using what. (NOTE: using this method to decide will result in purchasing photoshop).

cheers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +