Playlist Style Includes

how do I make one with php?

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 1355 Views - Last Post: 23 July 2002 - 04:20 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Arachnid

• View blog

Playlist Style Includes

Posted 23 July 2002 - 11:23 AM

I'm working on a lyrics site, and I had this cool idea that I could allow users to put together their own playlists of lyrics, so that they could put together a page with all their favourite songs in any order they liked.

I'm sure there is a way of doing this, and I think php is the solution, but I'm not sure exactly how it would work.

I know how to include html using php, but I cannot figure out how to include any number of sections I want, the only solution I can see at the moment is to add more includes things, and that would limit the playlist size.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Playlist Style Includes

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Playlist Style Includes

Posted 23 July 2002 - 11:42 AM

php with a mysql backend, the amount of songs for each user could be completely dynamic. you could pick random songs (just like a music playlist) you could display by bands, common words, tons of stuff, php with a mysql backend end is the way to go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Arachnid

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2002 - 01:49 PM

grrr, I'm such a n00b :)

I know what mysql is, and I have a mysql account set up with my host, but what do you mean by mysql backend? and how would I set it up to work the way I want.

I can imagine this being quite complicated stuff...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2002 - 02:13 PM

well, pretty much you would add fields for each of your members which they could have access to adding new song names and band and such too. sort of how the forums keep track of what posts are actually yours by your member id and username. this just adds everytime, they could even edit and everything. you would have to learn about mysql and make sure your account and such is set up so you can do this. if you want to learn about mysql you can read the manual and all that stuff at www.mysql.com and we're alway here to help with your questions, we have tons of people who are great at mysql and php.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2002 - 04:20 PM

It will be very complicated, I think this is the perfect time for me to write a tutorial on how to do something like this... not quite as involved as your talking about but it will make for a great tutorial.

I'll start on it in a day or 2, keep an eye out in the tutorials area for the first tutorial which will be setting up your database.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1