12 Replies - 94658 Views - Last Post: 12 April 2011 - 06:13 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to open .FILE extension

Post icon  Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:44 AM

i have a several file with .FILE extensions which contain a database within them.after a lot of search i found that it is an AS400 physical file. i dont know a way to open this file.....and i need to access that data............

any help/suggestions would be appreciated!!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to open .FILE extension

• DIC Hawk - 나야나 नयन:
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to open .FILE extension

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:00 AM

What software did you use to create these .FILE files?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• C Surfing ∞
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:16 AM

As we don't know which OS you are currently working in, it is bit difficult to answer that. The files you have are actually the objects from IBMs AS/400. Yes, they will be containing data in them, and I heard that you can convert them to csv files or text files from IBM AS/400. and you can do that from outside also. But I don't have any information about how to do that.

I don't know how much this will help you but you can read this and see if that helps you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:31 AM

well i got these files from a cd....and i am workin on windows xp and i cant find a way to open theses files despite a lot of search.A search also mentioned that .FILE extenstion could be AS400 file or it could be a file with no extention.how do i get to know what it is?and a way to open it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Hawk - 나야나 नयन:
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:46 AM

You're not giving enough information....

Who gave you the file? Why did they give you the file? Where did they get the file from? What kind of data do you expect to have in the file?

Or is it just a random file and you're curious what it is?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• C Surfing ∞
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:18 AM

View PostNayana, on 26 Feb, 2008 - 04:16 PM, said:

You're not giving enough information....

Who gave you the file? Why did they give you the file? Where did they get the file from? What kind of data do you expect to have in the file?

Or is it just a random file and you're curious what it is?

are you in some kind of investigation service or something? :D
If not then join one, you can be really good at that, just kidding. :)

@samn84

Did you tried to open that file in notepad? generally, if you don't know what type of file is, then you can try to open it in notepad. If that works then it's good or... you need to find a solution. :)

I tried to find things related to this but all I got is posted in my previous post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:26 AM

Well i have been given this cd from my office so i have no idea where they got it from.however i know its got phone book info in it and i need to view it in order to make an application using the data given in it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:08 PM

it did open in notepad but i cant make out wat it is.....its got a wierd format and there are a few bits in english but they are really few.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Hawk - 나야나 नयन:
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:31 PM

OK, I just needed to ask those questions to make 100% sure it was a AS400 file... I'm pretty sure it is.

I've never worked with these before, but I know that the AS/400 has the ability to export files into CSV format. Ask the admin of the server to give the relevant files to you in CSV format. These will be much easier to deal with.
Was This Post Helpful? 1

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:43 AM

the file looks somefink like this:

TAPE    _    , ^  \VM i c r o s o f t S Q L S e r v e r SPAD ^ L SFMB  8 FSSET   d     z   \V   *K *" P T C L _ C T R b a c k u p s a SPAD N \ VOLB `     v   I  O  W \VE : \ D a t a B S - 1 SPAD   MSCI 8     : MQCI  SCIN   v8  ;
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:48 AM

I also have a .file file which is really annoying me. I extracted the file from my Xbox 360 Memory Card. On my Xbox 360, the file appears as a film clip for Halo 3 (I don't know the extension when I view in on Xbox 360). However when I view the file on my PC which is running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit Edition, it says that the file doesn't have a file extension (it is .file). I wish to open up the file in Windows Media Player or another media player so I can watch the film (that's what the file contains). I'm not 100% sure but I think that I might have to change the format of the file as the format for Xbox 360 is different to Windows. I also tried to copy my Xbox LIVE Gamertag to my PC and it was also a .file file

So it must be something to do with files on the Xbox 360 :|

Any help of how I might actually be able to read the data in the file and watch the film on my computer would be much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance ... ;)

This post has been edited by Snapper26: 25 November 2009 - 12:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 Guest_dolly*

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:12 AM

when trying to close and save an Excel file, my new HP windows 7 created a .file format file. it also lost the original excel file and its filename and created a number only .file item. After reading the previous answers, and recognising that I often transfer c.s.v. files to Excel spreadsheets, I selected the unreadable file, right clicked on 'open', and selected Excel to open it. Success. When I closed the file it saved it in the .file format, so I opened it again and this time did a 'save as' with my original name for the workbook and specified 'save as' type, 'microsof excel workbook'. This time it saved it correctly.
Thanks for your previous comments, they lead me to a solution and a lot of time re-doing earlier work on two files
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:13 AM

View Postsamn84, on 26 February 2008 - 01:44 AM, said:

i have a several file with .FILE extensions which contain a database within them.after a lot of search i found that it is an AS400 physical file. i dont know a way to open this file.....and i need to access that data............

any help/suggestions would be appreciated!!

I bumped into the same problem today. I got this file which is about 540 MB with all kinds of files in it. And I played with it a bit because I couldn't find the right solution online. So what I did was: I tried renaming it to .iso and mounting it to my virtual drive and that didn't work. But after that I tried renaming it to .rar and IT WORKED :))))
I opened it in winrar and winrar showed all the contents of the data file and I extracted it and that's it. Problem solved for me. Just try it, maybe it'll work for you too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1