• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Simple Text Chat Box Learn how to use a simple idea to make text chat web application Rate Topic: ****- 3 Votes

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

Hi!

This was a great tutorial for learning, definitely helped me out.

Now I need help for something. I usually also use the alert method if something is wrong with what is entered in a form field. Although, with your alert, it shows up the alert when I press enter no matter what I have selected, if the field is empty.

Basically, if I write an URL in my url bar and press enter, it will come up with the alert that the username field is empty.

How do I fix this, so that it makes it where it only shows up if I have the form selected ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MSX
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

Hello everyone,

@xDrayken, I think you're using a very old version which is too limited and has a bunch of bugs, anyways, it was just to explain the concept

so, for you and for the others here why not trying to test the latest version of ChatBox 6.1.6
you'll find a download link on the page

for those who ask for multi-rooms, it's supported in this version and here is what you need to do

Open the config.php file
Under the Available rooms section you can add room to the $ROOMS array (room code -> room display name)

For each room you add you have to add two files to the data folder in this convention:
room_x.ext, onlineusers_x.ext where x is the room code and ext is the extension you specify in the config.php file for ROOM_FILE and ONLINE_FILE

If the room code is empty ('') there is no need for the underscore ( _ ) at the end of these file names

You can use the chat commands (rooms, cr) to list available rooms and to change the current room, or by sending the room code as a part of the query string using (rm) as variable name, something like:
localhost/chat6/?rm=x

Where x is the room code you specifed in $ROOMS array

Finally here is the complete ChatBox 6 change log

Regards
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

A chat box that I have been using for several months now has started to not work the way it should, so I thought I would try to make my own. I found this tutorial and it seemed very informative. However, I couldn't get it to work when I created the files. So I downloaded the .zip folder with all the files in it and still can't get it to work. I've got all the aesthetics down just fine, but I can't get anything I type to actually "send" to the chat box itself.

After I couldn't get that to work, I just gave up on trying to make it work and continued to work on the aesthetics and remove things I wasn't really needing. For example, I honestly don't have any use for a sign-in system of any sort because only one person knows about this particular chat box. I also added some things that I need to polish up.

I was wondering if maybe you could take a look at the code and tell me why it isn't working and if I edited/deleted things properly. I have experience with HTML and CSS, but Javascript, Ajax, and PHP are things I haven't messed around with much before... Attached File  ChatAttempt.zip (3.82K)
Number of downloads: 56

Thanks in advance. ^^'
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MSX
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

Hello MochaNeko and sorry for the late reply

I downloaded your files and reviewed them, and I found it better to create necessary scripts from scratch

anyway, I have a couple of questions:
1- since you don't have a sign in system and you want to keep it simple, how are you going to prevent a new chatter from using another chatter username and start messaging using it?

2- and what are you going to use the email/url field for?

here is a test link for your version of chat box DIC ChatBox mocha's version

please clarify my two questions above in order to continue and provide you the source code explained

Regards
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Late replies are no problem. I'm not in a rush.

1. The reason I don't have a sign-in system is because the particular web page I'm going to use this for, only one person knows it exists. Only that one person and I use that page to talk to each other, so there's no need for a sign-in system.

2. In the chat box I have used in the past, there was an option to type in your email or url in a box. If you put a link in the box and sent a message, that link would apply to your username. So then, when someone clicks your username, if you entered a link, it would take them to that particular link or email, depending on what was entered.

In all seriousness, the email/url field isn't really necessary, I just put it there in case I wanted to keep it for future reference or use, I suppose.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:43 AM

View Postahmad_511, on 09 December 2013 - 11:07 AM, said:

Hello MochaNeko and sorry for the late reply

I downloaded your files and reviewed them, and I found it better to create necessary scripts from scratch

anyway, I have a couple of questions:
1- since you don't have a sign in system and you want to keep it simple, how are you going to prevent a new chatter from using another chatter username and start messaging using it?

2- and what are you going to use the email/url field for?

here is a test link for your version of chat box DIC ChatBox mocha's version

please clarify my two questions above in order to continue and provide you the source code explained

Regards

if its possible, can you give us mocha's version source codes?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First