365 Days of Linux

• (3 Pages)
  • +

32 Replies - 3394 Views - Last Post: 16 March 2008 - 01:50 AM

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 365 Days of Linux

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:55 PM

i don't think switching linux distributions or windows managers should affect your year time line at all. the important part is LINUX, not the distro, you should feel free to format and try out as many as you like in your year. that's really the point right? to find something you are comfortable with and enjoy?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:19 PM

View Postc0mrade, on 9 Mar, 2008 - 08:14 PM, said:

A fun twist on this would be that you're not allowed to restart (or otherwise turn off) your computer...

There's an idea, lets see how long we can go without doing any security updates to the kernel & run an insecure, unpatched Linux...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

I have striked out rule number four, as sloth's point makes a lot more sence, this is about choice.. it is not a game. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:03 AM

I think this is an awesome idea. I would be tempted to join you but if I made the home computer different my wife's head would explode. I might join you in spirit though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• awake ? web();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:11 AM

Please do it, it sounds really interesting :)

I have a linux box that I ran for all of two days before my attention wandered to other things. Following something like this could inspire me into giving it another go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Jawsome++;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:50 AM

I have been wanting to play around with Linux more, however I am ify about changing my main operating system on my main computer. Let me know how it goes
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:23 PM

This is a good idea and since your a beginner use Ubuntu. The slogan says it all "Linux for human beings". If you do decide you like linux you should experiment with other distro's such as Fedora (Project of Red Hat), Suse and if your so inclined GenToo.

Don't expect many Kernal panics because you'll get little to none.

If your going to do shell programming use a Bourne Shell.

View Postcaptainhampton, on 10 Mar, 2008 - 08:50 AM, said:

I have been wanting to play around with Linux more, however I am ify about changing my main operating system on my main computer. Let me know how it goes

Dual Boot?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:49 PM

I would love to, but I have to submit my homework in MS VS. I do run Linux (Ubuntu with KDE also installed, I'll sign into witch ever I'm in the mood for). I also wouldn't be aloud to use my laptop because part of the agreement between me and the wife when we got it was no linux :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:24 PM

View Postthepeon, on 10 Mar, 2008 - 04:49 PM, said:

I would love to, but I have to submit my homework in MS VS. I do run Linux (Ubuntu with KDE also installed, I'll sign into witch ever I'm in the mood for). I also wouldn't be aloud to use my laptop because part of the agreement between me and the wife when we got it was no linux :(

VMware!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:55 PM

I've been a Linux user for a few years (since Ubuntu 6.06). I've used at length, Ubuntu, Fedora and Gentoo, and experimented with Arch, Mandriva, openSuSE and Debian. If I could run my games on Linux without needing WINE or Cedega and get my wireless working as well as Windows, I'd have no need to use Windows at all.

As far as Gnome vs. KDE goes, Gnome for me. KDE just never really struck me as clean and nice looking. I've seen a few good screenshots of KDE but most of what I've seen hasn't been too stellar.

@ captainhampton: You could also download a LiveCD and pop it in your drive and play with it. You can do pretty much everything an install can do (albeit slower) and get a good feel for how it works.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:06 PM

I've given Linux a shot, just because you can't pass judgment on something until you have tried it.

I went with Ubuntu Gutsy and it was great for a while ^^ but I got tired of all the little configurations and things I kept having to do things that have a one-click thing in XP (such as multiple monitor desktop support) and I wound up breaking things and fixing them over and over.

The tinkering was fun for a while as I could do so many things... but I would rather just use XP, plus I'm a gamer and game programmer and all the people who could possibly want to play my game use Windows, so Windows it shall be~
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

I gave up on Windows, tried Linux a little just under 12 months ago (Ubuntu and very shortly some other distros, was using RIPLinux off my flash drive, but only on uni computers for some shell scripting to make some engineering work much quicker - batch files in Windows are highly unfunctional I found, and didn't have the time to learn Basic or similar)...tried FreeBSD (I think after somehow being directed there after seeing no2pencils avatar or pic or something), and now have FreeBSD 7 on my computer at home and have got my gf using it also on the computer I have donated to her.
I personally wasn't overly enthused on using KDE or Gnome, and have settled with fluxbox (very lightweight, which I don't need it to be - running Q6600, 4GB Kingston 800MHz RAM) and it is great.

FreeBSD 7 just went release a week or two ago also...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:47 AM

Sorry to disappoint you all but am reverting back to Windows. I just can't be bothered with my sound randomly not working, the OS failing to wake up from sleeping randomly (i am running Ubuntu under a laptop), the lack of support for .NET applications (out of everything I tried with Mono, none of them worked, and yes the version was new), X randomly not starting up, and working randomly on startup.

I figured I was going for speed over a feature bloated system, but I just remembered about the glorious wonders of nLite. ;). Don't get me wrong, apart from all the things I'd rather not be doing (e.g. Fix Fix Fix), Linux is awesome for productivity.

But seeing as I spend most of the time with Microsoft products... alas this isn't going to work I'm afraid. And a big sorry to all of those that thought I'd actually see through 365 days of Linux. I have been using Linux up until now btw ;).

To those awaiting advice on switching OS's, and what I have learnt from this expedition, is that you should choose the OS that is right for you. If it is performing poorly visually, use some theming software. If it is lagging beyond belief, the amount of time running some disk cleanup operations, deleting temp files, etc, is half of the equivalent interval of time it takes to fix errors caused by playing with sudo privs.

Now to return to the glorious world of learning Silverlight, using a .NET IDE and the notorious proprietary software named Microsoft Office we all love to hate/blame for assignments not printing or saving :crazy: .

Good day to you all. :)

Also... sudo rm -rf / is humorous to watch whilst inside the graphical environment. I WANT TO CLICK ALL THE BROKEN FILES! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:34 AM

You are quitting just like that?

That lasted a whole fricking day!!!!!!!

Awe come on, you serious?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:33 AM

Sounds like he broke up with Linux and broke her heart... She was only worth a day to him XD

Seriously though, it's the same reason I quit Linux, I got tired of having to fix it all the time and having to fire up the command line.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +