it isn't showing up correctly

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 1847 Views - Last Post: 14 March 2008 - 08:41 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

PhpMyAdmin not working properly

Post icon  Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

I just installed phpmyadmin on localhost but when i uploaded it to my server it keeps giving a 404 server error. i have the files uploaded in the directory so i don't know what its telling me that the files don't exist. i am not sure why its doing this and i have looked all over the internet for a solution but cannot seem to find one. im sure that the solution is far simpler than i think it is, but nothing i do seems to work. this is my first time installing phpmyadmin so any help greatly appreciated. im running apache, php 5, mysql and phpmyadmin 5.11.25.

This post has been edited by Mitman: 10 March 2008 - 03:23 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: PhpMyAdmin not working properly

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: PhpMyAdmin not working properly

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:24 AM

anyone
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:27 AM

If you're getting a 404 error, it means the server can't find whatever you're looking for. Are you sure you're trying to visit the right URL, and that you've uploaded phpmyadmin into the right directory? Some hosts will need you to put all of your website pages underneath a specific directory - like public_html, or htdocs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:10 AM

I remember when I was running my abyss web server I needed to install the phpmyadmin directly to the htdocs folder and then set that path in the abyss control panel. Bare in mind this is going to be different from apache but this site will explain some some editing of phpmyadmin and I don't know how much difference there is.

Sorry if I confuse you with this...

http://abyssundergro...-phpmyadmin.php

I guess there could be an equivilant to this in apache...

This also might help...I don't know...http://www.webmasterstop.com/48.html

scottyadam
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

View Postgirasquid, on 10 Mar, 2008 - 07:27 AM, said:

If you're getting a 404 error, it means the server can't find whatever you're looking for. Are you sure you're trying to visit the right URL, and that you've uploaded phpmyadmin into the right directory? Some hosts will need you to put all of your website pages underneath a specific directory - like public_html, or htdocs.

do you mean on localhost or on the remote server. because its working fine on localhost, its just on the remote server that im having trouble seeing the page.

by the way scottyadam i tried your method in apache but it just shut down...:( i think i might have to switch to abyss:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:34 PM

If you're getting the 404 on the host site, you don't have your pages in the right place there, especially since it works on your local server. I would check the documentation for PhpMyAdmin and see if theres a specific directory it looks in, and also check with your host as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:20 PM

Hey Mitman,

I was the one who helped you on yahoo answers...I told you before I have experience with Abyss (at least i think I did....)

I am not sure what people will say to this comment but I thought abyss was a good introductory to the whole web server thing. I haven't yet configured the apache but that comes soon...

Abyss is nice...if you want to try it out go for it....
http://www.aprelium.com/

And use the other site I told you about for help to install it correctly...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

what is your error message ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

im getting a 404 server error...it won't show php pages but it will show html so im not sure what it is
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:08 PM

K...um...is there a phpinfo file that you have on your server that will verify that php is actually installed correctly?

Never tried running a php file when php is not installed but I would imagine it would say the file cannot be found...

If not...create one...name it as "phpinfo.php" lets see...

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

could we see that php is in fact working...just make that small file...

This post has been edited by scottyadam: 12 March 2008 - 05:11 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:43 PM

ok so im thinking there's a problem with php i have it installed on localhost but is there anything different i have to do to install it on my remote server or is there a tutorial you could point me to that would tel me how to do this because all the ones i have found are for installing it on remote server like on apache or iis
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

Well...the remote server isn't really under your control...the company that you told me (123hosting or something like that) has to install it on their server. Are you sure it is working on your localhost.

by the way...I am confused. Are you working on your local host or the remote host?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:37 PM

yeah its working on localhost i just checked....but what do you mean the web host has to install it...like i can't install php on the remote server and i have to have my webhost do it...because its working on localhost and now i want to go on my remote server but php isn't installed and im not sure how to that
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

Well...I see that 1and1 hosting has php installed on their servers so that means you should be able to run php.

Ok...I want you to do this...

In your home directory create a file called phpinfo.php and in that file (using notepad or some text editor) put the following lines of code in:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Now I want the website address of that file and remember, upload this to the REMOTE server because this is where you are having your problems I think...

it should be then: http://www.whatevert...com/phpinfo.php and then we will see if you actually have php installed and we will go from there!

(I am off to bed so you won't get another response for another 10 hours or so)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:11 PM

well i just uploaded the phpinfo page and it still doesn't exist so in all my anger and frustration i contacted my webhost to find out that php isn't even supported in my package and there is no way to install it!!!!!

i just wasted so much time on trying to install something that would never install and was beginning to doubt my programming skills when in the end it wasn't even my fault. so im gonna have to change webhosts now and hopefully everything should work then.

i guess now i know why it would work locally but not on the remotely.
thanks for helping me and i really appreciate it and if i run into any problems on my new web host (which i probably won't since no one is like 1and1) i'll try contacting you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +