3 Replies - 1802 Views - Last Post: 16 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Resume Tips : Play the HR Game!

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:03 PM

Without a doubt, one of the hardest parts about getting a job is landing the interview. What a lot of people don't know (or completely understand) is how to play the HR buzz-word game. Maybe this can help you out a little bit... & please, feel free to throw some other ideas into the mix.

1.) HR Buzz words.
Always always remember, HR reps do not do the job that you are applying for. They are told, upfront, what "qualifications" make an applicate a candidate. So your 1st step is to get through the HR "I don't really know but this is what I was told" gate. Print out (or write) the job description.

2.) Find the qualifications
Take a trip to O*NET Code Connector (www.onetcodeconnector.org). At this wonderful site, you can get a look into what is considered to be qualifications for the chosen job/career/field. Go through your resume & job past & find situations at your work where you did things that match those buzzwords. Don't lie, but form your post to reflect on the job description. Remember, you are not trying to impress your hopeful boss, you are just trying to keep your resume out of HR's trash-can! They are mostly scanning for words & phrases that they have been told are acceptable.

3.) Cover-letter?
You make a cover-letter! The cover letter should be short & sweet. Do some research on the company, & tell them why that you will be the man for the job.

4.) References available on request?
Who are you trying to kid? This is your one chance, don't ever make them do the work. I kid you not. If they take a look at your resume, & find out that they have to call you to get a list of references, pfft, you just blew your chance. You want to make every resource available to them right now! Besides, you want them to call you offering you an interview, not asking you for a phone list of some people that you've prepared a while ago...

5.) The 1st interview.
Lastly, when you do land that interview, don't make it your last. Dress nice. Take plenty of copies of your (blood & sweat) resume so if you have 3 people interview you, then can all have their own copy. Chances are, they will want to take notes, & you want every good thought that they have to make it from the pen to the paper for when they review the resumes.

Sounds like a lot of hard work doesn't it? Guess what, it is! & it's worth every bit of it. But you want to show them that you have what it takes to get the job, & get the job done! Being able to show up your competition, & beat them to the punch is a great feeling.

Best of luck! Happy job hunting!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Resume Tips : Play the HR Game!

• Jawsome++;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Resume Tips : Play the HR Game!

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

Good tips, surprising how so many people I know seem to not follow them though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Resume Tips : Play the HR Game!

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:21 PM

Truly awesome tips.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -