Ever had that time when ...

Page 1 of 1

14 Replies - 1840 Views - Last Post: 19 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

• Banned
  • member icon

• View blog

Programmer's Block

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:26 AM

You just can't either motivate or can't think of what to write next? Ever lose that motivation and reason that you got into writing programs in the first place? I know that for some that may never come, but for us that don't revolve around programming (most of the people that write code), what do you do to get back into the creative mode of automating everything?
I've got this massive program that I've written that does everything that was spec'd and then some. Pretty much gives everything that you could possible want from an order, loading, reporting, credits, returns, etc. Even got a call logger program, does the same, logs calls, gives you reports on the data anyway you want it, etc. I've been working on it for about a year now, and I think it's finally done, but where do you go from here? Rework it in another language?
I figure this new place is a better forum for this particular type of subject than the lounge was, but if this sounds more like a lounge thing, please move it.

This post has been edited by tody4me: 14 March 2008 - 08:26 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programmer's Block

• Jawsome++;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programmer's Block

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:42 AM

There is always something you can do to make your program better, something you can build on it, make more efficient, make more diverse. It's all about getting the inspiration to do whatever needs to be done as well as obtaining the motivation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:10 PM

Sometimes when I don't know what to add next to my project, I see how I can make an existing thing faster and more stable~
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monkey in Training
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:03 PM

Personally the lack of motivation comes right when I've finished a step of the project --- it takes a couple of days before I can get myself to pick up the next piece.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:28 AM

Sometimes half way through a project I get so bored of it I just don't finish it. Actually this happens a lot. Its not like I get paid for it or anything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monkey in Training
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:48 AM

Money should never be your motivation to code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:53 AM

I too have been suffering from this since the start of this year tody4me. I program small things, enough to help with an easy question on the boards, but nothing ever motivates me anymore :(. Money has never been motivation for me, it is rather the ability to say I bet another so I can recieve bragging rights (I'm a competitive whore like that).

Although I did use to love helping people a year ago, it has really become a force of habit to not want to help others now because 70% of the time they don't come back to the forum / care you have taken time out of your life to help them.

An expert badge would motivate me though :wub: :wub: . ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monkey in Training
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

I feel the same way Rodger. I like helping people.... but when I see that they have 2 posts, both of which in the same thread asking for help, I have to wonder.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:09 AM

for me its the time that matters.
hell lot of technologies to learn out there, but time sucks :) :lol:
some topics i have had in mind....
jquery
develop extension for firefox
write a ftp client in C#
Spring framework
helll
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

View Posttody4me, on 14 Mar, 2008 - 08:26 AM, said:

Ever lose that motivation and reason that you got into writing programs in the first place?

Yeah, they are called customers. They can ruin everything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Banned
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:22 AM

Thank you for all the posts of support.
Money never motivates me to code, it was always to make something new, to help people find what they need to find, and find it faster than some pre-configured packaged program. Now I have this massive program that runs, is efficient, and is modular. It's complete with user guide and detailed instructions. I even put in program request program in that allows a new program / project to be added to the MDI for new requests or any changes needed. I was going to add a chat program to it (kind of) and have it tell me if a user experiences an issue with a part of the program or logs to let me know how often a program would be used... but that's where I lost the motivation on this program I think.

This post has been edited by tody4me: 17 March 2008 - 08:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:03 AM

Take a break from it then and work on something else. I keep a large list of misc. small projects. If I have a large project, I'll often take a break to work on something completely different for a little bit before getting back to the large one. After a while of working on the same project it probably feels like you know everything about it, and have done everything, but doing something else for a bit should clear up your head.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:14 PM

View Postspearfish, on 15 Mar, 2008 - 04:48 AM, said:

Money should never be your motivation to code.

LOL WUT?

Not even a teeny tiny bit? :v:

edit: this is my 300th post SPARRTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

This post has been edited by KYA: 17 March 2008 - 04:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:05 AM

Call me strange but I am motivated by technology. There is always something that I want to get into. Most of my irritation come form the fact that I don't have the time to properly devote to the things that I want to do. THAT leads to a great deal of frustration for me. For example I got a degree in mathematics, and took a bunch of physics and have a ton on books on graphics programming... and I work for a web technologies company. I like my job... but I wish I were writing a physics engine.

But at work I get excited to work with new technologies (at least new to me) and new projects every few weeks... but I know eventually the shinny will wear off and I will find myself wishing more and more to put away the Java and get back to C++/Assembly/Math & Physics that pulled me into programming in the first place... but by then I will probably have forgotten most of the math, and assembly will truly be a lost art, and the current state of computer graphics will probably be well past my level of understanding... and I still will not have the time to devote to it.

...yeup... programming sure can be depressing. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Banned
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

Yep, I'm wanting to start work on the new stuff (the chat portion of the program) but every time I get started, I get pulled away to take care of something else. Then by the time I can get back to it, it's time to leave for the day, or very close to it. So I say I'll get to it the next day, and it keeps on getting put off. True, I could work on it at home, but that's when I have devoted to finishing my bachelors. I think that has something to do with my lack of motivation as well, recently.

This post has been edited by tody4me: 19 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1