I hate those guys...

Page 1 of 1

10 Replies - 992 Views - Last Post: 31 March 2008 - 12:41 PM

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Computer support

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:33 PM

So I am now running Windows XP x64... I have had a few issues but mostly things are going well. But the software for my cell phone does not install on win xp 64. So I asked them if they were ever going to support the 64bit platform. I didn't really expect them to jump to it, but I know that vendors need to see that there is interest in something before spending the development dollars.

I get an email back telling me that they DO in fact support the 64bit edition. Now here comes the first thing that irritates me, rather than giving me the link to where to get the software, they give me a link to their home page. "Its on there somewhere I am sure" is the basic message I got. But like good end user I fumble about their flash site until I find software I had initially tried -- and indeed it STILL tells me that my OS is unsupported (and I need windows XP -- which I have).

Basically, I wasted a bunch of time, just to come back to my initial conclusion -- it don't work. I didn't really care until the support people lied to me and sent me on a wild goose chase.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer support

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer support

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:37 PM

Yeah that sounds pretty lame. They could have even worded it as "Have you possibly tried this?" and provided you the link straight to what you tried. Then at least you could have said to yourself "I already tried that, so I guess they don't support it" without the whole chase. That way if you had missed it they also did you a good service by pointing it out to you rather than saying it is around there somewhere.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:02 PM

I have the best story of all. I called up microsoft because there was a problem with the game Gears of War and the support guy said that the in game upgrade is just there, it doesnt actually work...WHY IS IT THERE THEN!!!

Well he said just go to the GoW site and i got it working. then he asked me how i liked the game for a survey and he had helped me so i did it. Well we got on the discussion of bugs and i said that for some reason I couldn't beat the final battle even when i cheated. So we started discussing it and i found out he actually plays gears. So we got on the discussion of how I finally managed to beat it with about 5 different cheats and his only response was "How did you do that?!?"

Well I told him how and he was utterly shocked. I swear if this guy had any common sense, he could have just used google for cheats, because there sure is enough help out there. It seems to me that support people only know whats in the database that they query or what they are told directly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• printf("I'm a %XR",195936478);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:38 AM

Haven't you told us this story before or am I suddenly getting psychic powers?

It seems to me that support people only know whats in the database that they query or what they are told directly.

I think those guys have a booklet of some sort which have scripted answers for a list of "most probable" questions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:38 AM

I found when working with phone tech-support that if you keep moving up the food chain you will eventually run into that technician who actually knows what he is talking about and probably get a pretty good paycheck.

All the other people you run into are just there to screen the calls that this poor bastard has to deal with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:09 PM

View Postborn2c0de, on 19 Mar, 2008 - 09:38 AM, said:

Haven't you told us this story before or am I suddenly getting psychic powers?

Although psychic powers are nice, i am sorry to say i have mentioned this before.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Jawsome++;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:11 AM

I hate doing it, but the best thing to do is to just yell at the lower people until you work your way up through the hiearchy of the phone people until you get to a supervisor of sorts who can actually do something about your problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:10 PM

I'm just happy to find one that I can understand and can understand me. I am from the South and have a pronounced drawl, so most from the North and West(Cali and such, not Texas ;) ) have a problem with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:00 PM

View Postcaptainhampton, on 21 Mar, 2008 - 08:11 AM, said:

I hate doing it, but the best thing to do is to just yell at the lower people until you work your way up through the hiearchy of the phone people until you get to a supervisor of sorts who can actually do something about your problem.

yelling at the people on the other end of the phone is almost never the way to get the help you want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Villiage Idiom
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:48 AM

I've had a customer support issue before as well. My computer wouldn't start, i just got a blue screen of Doom, so naturally I call Dell after conditioning myself into a pissed off mood. I get connected to some guy in India, and we get to work. After about an hour and a half of being on the phone with this guy, he tell me my hard drive has died. So, naturally, i decide to run up to my friends house and steal one off of one of his old computers. Apparently Dell wasn't going to take this sitting. I argue with a sales representative for no less than 20 minutes who is trying to sell me this $100 hard drive, and telling me that another wont work, and that I'm wrong. So I hang up on her, get the Hard drive from my friends house, and stick it into my computer. Bam. Everything works great again. Thanks for nothing, Dell.

And there was that time I called microsoft, found out they were going to charge me $50 or $60 for my call, and hung up immediatly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:41 PM

My dad uses mcafee and I cant stand it. He paid $75 for the software when he could have gotten better stuff online for free and it wouldnt work. It said that the software could not be installed since symantyc or something like that was running. Well he needed the symantyc for work and so he couldn't use the mcafee. Well it hadn't told him that it was inoperable and about 2 months later his computer is covered in spyware and viruses galore. I think he had about 15 trojans on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1