• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 3306 Views - Last Post: 04 April 2008 - 03:55 PM

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

IWA-HWI Web Developer Certifications

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:53 AM

I did a search for this, but I didn't get too much info back. So I was just wondering if this certification and classes are worth it. And has anyone taken a class from them. If so, does using their logos or listing them on a resume, look better?

Its the IWA-HWA and they have a web programmer cert, which looks pretty good. I looked at the lesson plan for the PHP course. I don't know what i'm looking at, but it seems like it could be very thorough.

The classes + the membership($45/year) + certification($45) is about $800-$1000 depending on what classes you take and the books. Most are in my library so I can maybe borrow them if I'm feeling cheap, though.

Here's the lesson plan:
Web Programming Certificate
Prepares the student to work as a Web programmer.

Foundation Class (1 required):
P010 Introduction to Programming Concepts
P131 Introduction to Javascript
P140 Java for Non-Programmers
P183 Introduction to ASP

Core Classes (1 required):
MS311 MySQL
MS331 Introduction to SQL Server
P100 Introduction to PHP
P112 Introduction to JSP
P121 Introduction to ColdFusion Web Development
P132 Intermediate Javascript
P141 Introduction to Programming in Java
P184 Intermediate ASP

Elective Classes (3 required):
MS300 Introduction to Database Design
MS303 Introduction to SQL (Using Access)
MS304 Introduction to SQL (Using MySQL)
P104 Shopping Cart Using PHP and MySQL
P122 Intermediate ColdFusion
P142 Intermediate Java Programming
P153 Introduction to Perl
P176 Introduction to C#
P177 .NET Development with C#
Any core class of the Web Programming Certificate

I was thinking Intro to Javascript, Intro to PHP, Intro to SQL, Intro to Perl, Intro to Java, Inter Java or Database Design.

I'm guessing that'll make me pretty well rounded. I'm not sure, but I think that's a server and a client side scripting, and intro to databases and two other languages (i'm not sure what Perl does, but I see it alot in the employment ads along with PHP)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: IWA-HWI Web Developer Certifications

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: IWA-HWI Web Developer Certifications

Posted 19 March 2008 - 07:51 AM

Well this is my thought: certifications impress HR people.

They may even help you pass a couple of rounds of interviews but in the end they are too expensive to maintain, they don't tend to impress the technical interviewers (though they may help you answer some of the technical questions).

I really don't think that they hurt at all, they do give you a little boost in the market place (and can help you expand your knowledge base) but the general consensus I see is that they are unnecessary.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:04 PM

Interesting, is this an online place you are looking to do this through?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Jawsome++;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:10 AM

Certifications in my opinion are nice little decorations on the side, good from alternate impressiveness on a resume. However a straight up college degree is your best bet for obtaining the best "well roundedness" you can get that most employeers will be looking for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:35 PM

Yep, its online. After trying to google up the website, I realized that I got the name of the organization wrong. Its IWA-HWG (The International Webmasters Association - HTML Writer's Guild)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monkey in Training
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:35 PM

Never heard of them.

I think getting a certification from a college would be your best bet. It's called a degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

Never heard of them.

I think getting a certification from a college would be your best bet. It's called a degree.

...didn't you say you were 16?

You have a point though. I hate to say it, but a degree is really quite important in this field. It sucks but it true. I don't know about web design, where I would imagine a killer portfolio would be far better than a degree, but in software development it really is important to even be considered for a position.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:47 PM

Certifications are, on the whole, useless. The best thing they prove its that you can pass a test that often has a highly unrealistic view of reality. In the worst case, they show you simply have enough money and time to sit through the class list.

Do not take these things with the expectation of improving your employment prospects, even HR is pretty jaded with the things at this point. However, if your employer wants to send you and you need the information from the classes; enjoy.

They tend to be priced for a corporate budget more than an individual's. I've taken Oracle classes that run from 500 to 1000 dollars a day. That's usually 379 with the contract discount. ;)

To get an idea of the respect these things are held in, just take a look around.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monkey in Training
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:51 PM

I am. Soooooooo????????

With anything, a portfolio is great. But with the cost of web design, I would still feel more comfortable shelling hundreds out to somebody if I knew they were formally trained.

For software, definitely a degree is necessary.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 22 Mar, 2008 - 02:47 PM, said:

Certifications are, on the whole, useless. The best thing they prove its that you can pass a test that often has a highly unrealistic view of reality. In the worst case, they show you simply have enough money and time to sit through the class list.

I would have to disagree somewhat with that statement. I have an MCSD and MCAD in both C# & VB.Net and it has greatly increased my employability, and they're just certifications. Maybe it's because they're from Microsoft, I don't know, but even my current employer raised the initial offer when he found out I had those certifications.

I think it really depends on where the certifications come from, and what they're for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:06 PM

I have to agree with Psycho and NickDMax on this. First degrees are really a must and second certs are great but it all comes down to who is giving it. Some certifications are worth their weight in gold and some are not. Some of the things that employers look at when it comes to certs are

1) Who is providing the certification. Obviously is someone has a microsoft application developer cert and the employer does a lot of windows apps, they will like to see the cert (usually on top of the degree)

2) What is actually in the program. Obviously they want to know how extensive and difficult the program is to get the cert.

3) How common is it out there? If the program is difficult to pass, there tends to be less of the cert out there and you (as one who has passed) are seen as a top employee

4) How long and involved is the program? This can simply prove how long are you willing to stick to a goal and see it through.

They are not the one that will necessarily land the job, but they can certainly be icing on the cake and distinguish you from other candidates. Obviously if there are two candidates with equal skills except one has a cert, you will usually win out.

Edit: Oh and btw, I have never heard of the group you mention so I wouldn't put much faith in the cert as a real attractive thing for employers. If they don't know the name of the group giving it, it loses credibility.

:)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 22 March 2008 - 03:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:34 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 22 Mar, 2008 - 05:56 PM, said:

I think it really depends on where the certifications come from, and what they're for.

Agreed. I believe Microsoft, Cisco, and a handful of others still enjoy some industry respect. Although even MS has come into question recently.

Most places have found certs are not the magic bullet. And inept employees who hide behind supposed credentials have soured a good amount of the employer pool.

I've taken a number of classes that count toward various certifications and have found many very good. The Oracle classes, in particular, are exceptional. However, I've dealt with certified Oracle DBAs and have had to hand hold them through the most rudimentary processes. Same with ever other certified professional. It's really not the paper, but the individual.

At the moment, and for the foreseeable future, I couldn't see recommending to anyone to go out and "get certified."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:25 PM

My CCNA certification played a big part in getting the job I have now, but I would be interested in a web development certification.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:28 PM

Get a CIW certification then, I seen this before there aren't many sites that have there seal on them.

I would definitely pass on this one. CIW certifications aren't that expensive.

http://www.ciwcertified.com/

This post has been edited by Nykc: 22 March 2008 - 09:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bastard Operator From Hell
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:10 PM

The people I work with on my part time contract the software developers in the company have MCSD certifications, now when I went for interview I showed the a portfolio but I also had an official transcript from my computer labs teacher which states in what I am qualified in!, Now If I were you I'd get both Certs and Degree in CS at least maybe go higher then that.

Misspelled MCSD.

This post has been edited by Mikhail: 01 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +