George Orwell's 1984

If you thought this was SciFi, the jokes on you.....

Page 1 of 1

11 Replies - 788 Views - Last Post: 21 March 2008 - 01:29 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

George Orwell's 1984

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:27 AM

I'm wide awake tonight so I thought I'd share some of the fantasic technology comming to your home very soon.

'1984' has facinated me for many years. I've been in the computer/tech field for over 25 years and never really thought of George Orwell's classic (ranked #52 in total sales at Barnes and N.) as SciFi.
Many people think that I should be confined to the funny farm because only a lunatic would ever believe that this could become reality.........until now..................

Comcast Cameras To Start Watching You

If you search, you can find much more on this topic. The company presents some nice logic behind this technology and I believe that many people will honestly fall for this.

I look back a few years and clearly remember when Big Brother proposed the wonderful idea of a tobacco tax. Many people said it was a great idea and had no problem whatsoever when the authorities emposed a 50%+ tax on smokers and at the same time took some freedom away from everyone. Im amazed at how easy it really was to take away an individuals right. Smoking has nothing whatsoever to do with it but it was a great target to test and prepare for the future. DRM is another great tool and will work the same way only with more severe results. People will believe that DRM is a great concept like smoking and will line up en-mass to give up a large amount of freedom. They feel that you should be required to obtain written permission ( in triplicate ) to even think about any media, let alone read it.

After you read the article in the link above you can understand what a great idea this is. You'll have a free babysitter and you can now rest assure that your neighbors will all behave themselves when doing anything in the privacy of their own home. Rest assured that anyone seen drinking too much or underage, or participating in illegal adult activities that the local authorities will be at the door within a minute or less.

Like smoking, this will work because people should behave and do what other people feel you should do regardless of how you feel about it. If you carry a few extra pounds, survey's show that people feel that you should be punished and now Big Brother will guarantee that you will eat only what is allowed. Otherwise Big Brother will lock your refrigerator via the wonderful Bluetooth tech and you will weigh and look like everyone else feels is best for you.

I thought this was sad, but actually hilarious that many people will actually fall for this brilliant idea.

I told my husband that I'd love to moon the camera whenever it was active but he thought it was not a good idea because then we would get bombarded with comercials for celulite reduction, Preparation H, Bathroom Tissue and receive a court order the next day to keep my lingerie on at all times so as to not scare the viewing public half to death. I fell on the floor laughing my ... off.

Enjoy your wonderful DVR. Ahahahahah

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: George Orwell's 1984

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: George Orwell's 1984

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:45 AM

I've seen a bunch of international studies about the efficiency of these surveillance systems when I was writing a paper on them, and it is pathetic. It simply does not meet the goals they are advertised it. Right now I would say it has a much bigger negative effect on your privacy, than you can profit from it.
It would take long to describe the whole thing, and I know there were a lot of headlines quoting fantastic results, but it is not hard to see that they are pushed on to you with a reason.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:06 AM

Wouldn't that have something against the privacy act (I know Australia has a privacy act, I am unsure of how the American system works)?

Sounds pretty communist to me... I'd just put something over the camera if it were me. What could be simpler than changing the channel with the remote when inappropriate content is shown on the idiotbox?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:20 AM

When I read this, I kinda panicked and ran over to the TV and inspected my rabbit-ear antenna. Luckily, the cable company has yet to infiltrate the RF broadcast medium with their cameras. I did notice something strange though. There was a guy standing next to my TV taking notes. Every few minutes he'd jump in front of the TV and start singing the Mattress Firm jingle, or telling us about local car dealerships. The odd thing about this is that my wife and I have been talking about buying a new bed AND a new car! Weird!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:51 AM

ROFLMAO - This will never fly, I just hope I don't see myself on YouTube someday in a clip of me sitting on couch watching Sprout.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:03 AM

yea, that is ridiculous. i dont want cameras in my house. id rather them have cameras on all the street in the city and all the public places. a camera on the tv is just unnecessary. i can press 2 buttons to turn on parental controls and 2 buttons to start watching my favorite show. i really dont think anyone would go for this
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:36 AM

Just don't get Comcast,

Wow, the logic is astounding o_o!!!

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 21 March 2008 - 07:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:47 AM

disclaimer : didn't rtfa

i love cctv cameras for classics like the guy who tried to firebomb a discotecha,
then lit himself and his motorcycle on fire... then had to walk his motorcycle away...

classic.

texas won't ever let 1984 happen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:59 AM

I will move to Texas
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

View PostNykc, on 21 Mar, 2008 - 08:59 AM, said:

I will move to Texas

You can room with cappy99...

They put a bunch of Cameras around Cuyahoga Falls & Akron, probably just for traffic... but who knows. I give them the finger from time to time, when I have to stop there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:51 AM

Don't be so sure it won't fly. 34 senators voted to make Spanish our National language... Strange shit is happening all the time.

I'll be willing to bet a years worth of paychecks that within 2 years of Comcast doing this, the cops will be able to tap in and "search" for wanted criminals... I can see it now...

HQ: HeadQuarters to 304:
304: Go ahead
HQ: Joe blow is on Comcast at 123 Anywhere St, Detain and Arrest.
304: 10-4. What's the charge?
HQ: Who gives a crap?
304: True True... I'm on it.

Time marches on

304: 304 to Headquarters
HQ: Go ahead
304: Joe Blow in custody, Camera lens cleaned.
HQ: 10-4

Oh yeah... a complete package....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2008 - 01:29 PM

dallas is getting RID of its stop light cameras.

it has stopped red light runners so they have lost a ton of revenue....

lmfao.

love it.

who cares if it saves lives, it hurts our budget.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1