Want to Hire: Web Developer in Albuquerque, NM

• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 3045 Views - Last Post: 21 April 2008 - 04:44 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Want to Hire: Web Developer in Albuquerque, NM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:06 AM

Got a question Sky. I'm still trying to break into the web design/development business. I know xhtml, css, basic flash (and learning actionscript), and have currently gained a very basic understanding of php (going through a few self teaching books). If a job asks for an html coder, does that assume they know the xhtml dom? Or since that works with javascript would that put it outside of that domain. Let me know ;).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:22 AM

Still looking for someone.

If you know someone and refer them to me and we hire them, I can offer you a reward of $250 if they stick around for 90 days.

View PostAkelo, on 24 Mar, 2008 - 09:06 AM, said:

Got a question Sky. I'm still trying to break into the web design/development business. I know xhtml, css, basic flash (and learning actionscript), and have currently gained a very basic understanding of php (going through a few self teaching books). If a job asks for an html coder, does that assume they know the xhtml dom? Or since that works with javascript would that put it outside of that domain. Let me know ;).

If someone is looking for knowledge of HTML, they probably just want someone that can make web pages. If they need someone that's fluent in standards compliant XHTML then you're probably going to be doing a lot more advanced HTML work than just making some basic web apps and web pages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:21 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 21 Mar, 2008 - 04:07 PM, said:

The company I work for is looking to hire an entry level web developer.

We're looking for someone who knows HTML, and some sort of server side language (i.e. PHP, ASP.NET, Ruby, etc.)

If you're interested in working with sloth and I, let me know.

This is unrelated to dream.in.code, and is a full time paid position.

Reply/PM for details.

Call Caroline Orcutt at the UNM Division of Continuing Ed. 272-6034. She might know of someone who would be a good fit.

This post has been edited by Inspector508: 30 March 2008 - 02:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:14 PM

Alright, the position has been filled, so I'm going to take this opportunity to rant a little bit.

I was working at Radio Shack when I started this job (my day job), supersloth was working at Target when he started. Neither of us had (or have) degrees currently. We had minimal experience. That was 4 years ago. Even 4 years ago, with no degree, and little experience, I was paid very well for someone fresh out of high school.

Now, I know a lot of people that would have been great for this position, but I couldn't call them because of drug problems, past employment history, or financial problems. The job requires a security clearance, and I (as well as sloth) told these people to clean up their acts and one day there might be an opportunity to get a good paying job and turn it in to a career. None of these people cleaned up their acts, so none of them could get clearances for this job.

Now, here's what we ended up with. A guy who was not able to actually program in the interview, was unable to show us a basic table in HTML, and who didn't have much practical programming experience. But, he was eager and willing to learn so we hired him.

We interviewed 4 people I believe, he was the best of 4. That's sad.

So here's my message to you... get your shit together, clean up your act, stop worrying about crap that doesn't effect your life and start doing some professional networking, because I would have hired anyone right out of school (even high school) if they showed some eagerness, had a clean background, and knew just a little programming.

Get it together people.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:19 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 15 Apr, 2008 - 09:14 PM, said:

Get it together people.

This is America, & It'll never happen. Most American's care more about who's going to get kicked off the Island, or Idle contestants than their own carrier/future. TMZ can suck my ass.

If NM wasn't so dang hot, I might have considered it. But I must have my snow & negative temperatures.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

I feel for you Chris, I truly do. While I was in Wisconsin and had to do a couple interviews. It was sad that I wasn't able to get a single candidate to give a even remotely educated "guess" as to what polymorphism is, not even the guy who said he has been a .Net programmer for 2 1/2 years. Do these colleges nowadays not teach the basic fundamentals of object oriented programming?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

Colleges these days teach you "Hello World" basically and how to write a very basic console app.

One thing I can say the best learning is hands on and a patient teacher. I think programming and development should be an apprenticeship.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Wubba lubba dub dub!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:44 AM

Wow. I kinda feel better about myself now. Still won't be able to find a job after college though-- :v:

(curse you job market!)

This post has been edited by KYA: 21 April 2008 - 04:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +