Tips and Tactics

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 883 Views - Last Post: 02 April 2008 - 11:31 PM

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Presentations

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:01 AM

One of the more dreaded things to do in school and at the workplace is to get up and give a speech/presentation. Whether its at school in front of your professors and friends, to big shots at work it's never an easy task.

Most all of us have been on both ends, the presenter and the spectator.

As the presenter there are a some tips that you can use to help you keep your cool and deliver a solid presentation. Some things work better for different people and I think it would be a good idea to try and share some of our tips and tactics:

I'll start.

Write your presentation out on paper(or type it up) well in advance of your presentation. This helps you to make sure you don't forget anything and you can read over it and get comfortable with what you are going to say. I do this all the time and continually reading over it helps me with the flow of my presentation so I'm not standing up there saying "ummm" and "ahhh" whenever I'm not sure what to say next.

If someone asks a question, start your reply with "Thats a good question" or something along those lines. This gives you a couple seconds to gather your thoughts.

Eye contact is a big part in any presentation, it makes the audience feel like you are directly talking to them and keeps them focused and concentrated on what you are saying. It can also help you gauge how its going by peoples facial expressions.

If your going to use power point(which most of us do) make sure that you don't read off the sides and don't put your whole presentation on it word for word. Power point should be used as a reminder and help you flow through your presentation. It's great if you have to display data like charts and graphs.

Please share your tips and tactics!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Presentations

• Monkey in Training
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Presentations

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:06 PM

Thats something I have observed at my high school. Kids will make a mediocre power point, and then spend the entire presentation turned around staring at the screen and read it word for word. It goes terribly and is almost laughable ;)

Just research whatever you are presenting on thoroughly, so you are speaking from your brain rather than a piece of paper. Go over questions you are likely to hit also.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:12 PM

I speak to groups quite a bit - giving a good presentation is as simple as being comfortable with both yourself and the material. Get that down pat, and you're gold.

My two main pieces of advice for presentations?

DO: Speak around the written material - use it to highlight your main points, but not to spell it out word for word. That should be your job as the presenter.

DON'T: Everyone has an initial habit of focusing on one individual in a crowd as a reference point. Learn to avoid this, or of you cannot, set up your reference individual beforehand.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:48 PM

I do a good bit of public speaking myself and a good ice breaker is making people laugh. I tried this for the 1st time today and it worked out pretty well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:31 PM

I HATE being reading Powerpoint slides. I was in a class the other day and this is how the presentation began and ended:

(This is on the powerpoint and he's reading it):

First slide:
Hello, my presentation is on fish.

Last slide:
Thank you for listening to my presentation on fish. I hope you learned a lot about fish. Thank you.

IT SAID THIS ON THE SLIDE!!! IN A COLLEGE CLASS!!!! ARGFHFSAA
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1