Who is Excited about Py3k?

Python is getting an update, and will be released as Python 3.0

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 1213 Views - Last Post: 30 March 2008 - 04:44 PM Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Py3k (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Will it be a good update?

1. Of course! N.A.S.A. uses it! (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. Why fix what isn't broke? (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Python is great, but more dialects is greater than. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. I have no opinion on this topic. (4 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Who is Excited about Py3k?

Post icon  Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:50 PM

Python is an already great programming language. I am hopeful in what will come about as their "improvements" in the language, I am fully ready to learn some new dialects of this language if it offers me greater abillity and flexabillity. What do you guys think?

d_hiett@hotmail.com
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Who is Excited about Py3k?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Who is Excited about Py3k?

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:24 PM

I think you couldn't have picked a worst font color in the world! My eyes are burning and hopefully the damage is not permanent because then I won't be able to program at all let alone Python 3.0.

As for your poll.... python... eh. Just another language. ;p
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:11 PM

It could have been this color :P

However, the point is Python is a very powerful and useful programming language, people who feel otherwise simply havent taken the time to learn about it. Seriously why would NASA use a language if it were only so-so? Anyways, there is an updated version of python coming out and it will be version 3. So jump into the Py3K craze!!

This post has been edited by dave_6_10: 28 March 2008 - 07:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:17 PM

Most of us know about Python, in fact I bet a lot of us cut our teeth on Python and Basic. I don't find it useful at all in my daily programming life. I'm not trying to be critical or an asshole, I just don't think it's a language that I desire to use any longer, I don't care what the version is.

NASA only uses it because they're too lazy to upgrade technologies, the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality, even though in my opinion Python is a dinosaur (like I said, just my opinion). There are too many powerful languages out there for me to take a step backwards and start programming in Python again.

There are companies out there still using DB2 and COBOL, does that make them "good" technologies?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 28 Mar, 2008 - 07:17 PM, said:

NASA only uses it because they're too lazy to upgrade technologies, the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality, even though in my opinion Python is a dinosaur (like I said, just my opinion). There are too many powerful languages out there for me to take a step backwards and start programming in Python again.

sure and I accept this as a valid opinion, I wish you only to cosider though the fact that Python is now being upgraded to version 3.x which will make it upgraded. So is it really a step backward if you begin working with Py3k? I think it depends a lot on what changes exactly they do make in the language. I would love to get a sample of the teaser manual the produce to see what changes are in plan as of now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1