3 Replies - 668 Views - Last Post: 30 March 2008 - 04:34 PM

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Advice for Art Student Web Page

Post icon  Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

I talked about this is another post. I have some are students that asked me if I could make them each web pages so that they can show case there work and put some other information on it.

I'm new to this whole web development thing. Didn't really have much of it in college (mostly database) and now i am starting to get into it at work but am looking to you guys for some advice and tips.

What would be the best way to approach this?

I was thinking of just making a couple page site with the majority of the site focused on a photo gallery of there work.

If I do that how can I code a photo album?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Advice for Art Student Web Page

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advice for Art Student Web Page

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:57 PM

You could create a template page and replicate it to different folders under your web root so that each student can have their own site like... http://www.yourdomain.com/studentname

Then all you need to do is find a small photo gallery script in PHP and put it under each student's folder. Typically you can find some good gallery scripts online for free that are really easy to install. They usually have you point the script at a directory full of images and it will put it into the gallery.

The whole process would be a couple hours to create a basic template page, setup some folders for each student (which may also have an images folder for each student in their directory) and then a copy of the image gallery script that points to their folder.

Later if you wanted to give them ftp access or something you could even setup an ftp account for each student to drop them right into their own folders.

This way you can give each student the opportunity to customize the page they want and give their own artistic touch. It is up to you.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:52 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 30 Mar, 2008 - 12:57 AM, said:

You could create a template page and replicate it to different folders under your web root so that each student can have their own site like... http://www.yourdomain.com/studentname

Then all you need to do is find a small photo gallery script in PHP and put it under each student's folder. Typically you can find some good gallery scripts online for free that are really easy to install. They usually have you point the script at a directory full of images and it will put it into the gallery.

The whole process would be a couple hours to create a basic template page, setup some folders for each student (which may also have an images folder for each student in their directory) and then a copy of the image gallery script that points to their folder.

Later if you wanted to give them ftp access or something you could even setup an ftp account for each student to drop them right into their own folders.

This way you can give each student the opportunity to customize the page they want and give their own artistic touch. It is up to you.

:)

Thats a good idea, making one page for all of them and then branch off so each student can have their own section.

thanks for your advice. I will be back im sure with more questions or to run some ideas past everyone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2008 - 04:34 PM

i guess my next question is, and i know there is a thread about this already ( i plan to ask a lot more questions in this one though so i'll post it in here)....

how much should i charge for making a web site like this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1