Hubs,Switches,Rackmounts?

Page 1 of 1

9 Replies - 1092 Views - Last Post: 30 July 2008 - 04:23 PM

• Bastard Operator From Hell
  • member icon

• View blog

Can you work with

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

Well the title mostly says it, As for me I can work with Rackmount servers, Swtiches as long as they do not have too many connections, also I work with wireless networks full set up and conversion ie...printers,other stuff well from wired to wireless. How about you?

Also forgot to mention, Some network security but not a lot of it.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can you work with

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can you work with

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:33 PM

I should upload some *new* photos... too Lazy.

I have 2 Sun X1 (headless) servers, & a Dell Poweredge 350 connected to a Sun D1000 storage unit. These along with an older Cisco 1900 are in a half rack. While I don't run wireless at the office I have it at home, as well as I've serviced it for a few customers. I'm not sure if this answers your question, but there ya go!

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:37 PM

Im not certified in anything, but I did set up my own network at home, which consists of
  • 3 Desktops
  • 1 File Server
  • 1 Print Server
  • 1 Development Server & DB Server
  • 2 Storage Servers

All connected via a wireless router with 2 access points (1 in the end of the house, 1 outside).

For my employer I set up the mail server, the SQL server and maintain both.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:42 PM

Yeah that's what I want to know, also I've got an HP machine downstairs dual HP microtower and a Pavillon tower both are attached to ZIP drive and run Solaris, I am planning to put a Client machine, those small boxes with monitor and keyboard for controlling it but hell to that I can use software to establish direct connection to the server using my laptop. it's not set up yet but it will be soon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:44 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 31 Mar, 2008 - 11:33 PM, said:

I should upload some *new* photos... too Lazy.

I have 2 Sun X1 (headless) servers, & a Dell Poweredge 350 connected to a Sun D1000 storage unit. These along with an older Cisco 1900 are in a half rack. While I don't run wireless at the office I have it at home, as well as I've serviced it for a few customers. I'm not sure if this answers your question, but there ya go!

Attachment attachment

Looks like a mini-fridge ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:47 PM

nah, that's over by the phone, holding up the printer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:25 PM

Networking is pretty much interesting to learn and also if you can learn most of the stuff yourself get certified in network management and sutff along with programming cert, and a CS Degree you can overall get a good job with a good pay, but as for me I like doing that, money doesn't matter to me so eh, as long as i am working and I like it, not a problem for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:30 AM

I'm primarily a network admin by trade, currently looking after 6 server boxes, 5 switches and 52 user terminals. The programming side of things is a new string I'm trying to add to my bow (with limited success).

For the record the servers are:

4 rackmount windows servers, 3 on Server 2000 and 1 running Server '03 with exchange '03
1 rackmount and 1 tower running unix

The 2 newest of the windows rackmounts are dual AMD Opteron boxes with 4gb of ram in each, everything else is a little less beefy but with a lot less load as well!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:58 PM

I do IT/IS work for an ISP, CCNA certified.

I work with medium sized servers, routers, switches and CMTS devices every day. I think the company has about 8 rack mounted IBM servers, 2 rack mounted Raq4 servers, and 14 tower servers most of them being Dell PowerEdge boxes.

Main functions include management and diagnostics of our Hybrid Fiber Coaxial (HFC) network, inter-office IT functions, equipment provisioning, end-user support including government and corporate clients. I also do light development and design work for the company, equipment testing, and manage our Asterisk-based PBX IP phone system.

I wear many many hats :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:23 PM

I 'babysit' a beautiful server farm of which costs many many dollars.

The whole room is terribly air conditioned, false floors with over 10 kilometres of single mode fibre optic cables.

Everything is fibre optic from switches to servers.

In the 'server room' are 12 IBM X series servers, all are identical. Dual Quad Cores with 12 Gig of RAM. 3 x RAID 5 arrays(SAS Drives)

4 of those servers are back - end servers running SQL databases, replicated databases, Exchange servers etc.

6 of those are mid - tier servers running web services - internal and external websites.

1 is a production server - contains many of the development programs, test databases etc.

Last and final is my test baby - Anything that gets changed, from updates, patches, service packs, sql updates. Anything. Goes onto this machine, is tested at full load for a minimum of 72 hours before going out to 'pasture'
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1