153 Replies - 52013 Views - Last Post: 18 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Share Your Resume

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostFrinavale, on 09 July 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

I personally wouldn't use the negative sounding part:

Very low tendency to abandon unfinished projects

I'd make it more positive some how...but upon trying to rephrase it I realized that I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here.

High tendency to finish what I start? Meaning I don't give up on a program when I get stuck. I don't know how else to say that.

Thanks for looking at it. My objective sounds silly, I'll have to change that too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

Yes. This doesn't read well. It almost sounds like you're saying you have a tendency to spend a lot of time on projects that should have been abandoned. :-)

It's almost like a triple negative.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

View PostBBeck, on 27 July 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

Yes. This doesn't read well. It almost sounds like you're saying you have a tendency to spend a lot of time on projects that should have been abandoned. :-)

It's almost like a triple negative.

Haha... that has some truth to it.

Here's the updated one.

http://art.lehman.ed...lva/resume.html

I'll be glad to hear any advice on my website in general as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

I think your resume looks pretty good. I think the change to that phrase helped. It's more straight forward and reads better.

The one thing I would recommend at this point is not to use the transparancy of the Milky Way. At the very least make it much closer to 98% white with a transparency that's hard to see. The background is distracting from the text. Even though it's semi-transperant it's still visable enough that it's annoying when you're trying to read. So, I would just go ahead and make the page white or go with such a light background transparency that you have to struggle to see the background image. You want people to struggle to see the background image, not struggle to read the text.

I mean the text is readable the way it is, but the background is definately distracting enough that I would rather just have a white page when reading the text.

Other than that, it looks like you're a college student with no experience. It is what it is with that. It's kind of making the best of a "bad situation" there's nothing you can do about not having job experience except to get job experience.

But your resume says you're intelligent and probably have some useful computer skills even if those skills are still maybe not from job experience.

I would give you an interview based on that resume if I were looking for a junior programmer in a starting position or something along those lines.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 27 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

View PostBBeck, on 27 July 2012 - 07:01 PM, said:

I think your resume looks pretty good. I think the change to that phrase helped. It's more straight forward and reads better.

The one thing I would recommend at this point is not to use the transparancy of the Milky Way. At the very least make it much closer to 98% white with a transparency that's hard to see. The background is distracting from the text. Even though it's semi-transperant it's still visable enough that it's annoying when you're trying to read. So, I would just go ahead and make the page white or go with such a light background transparency that you have to struggle to see the background image. You want people to struggle to see the background image, not struggle to read the text.

I mean the text is readable the way it is, but the background is definately distracting enough that I would rather just have a white page when reading the text.

Other than that, it looks like you're a college student with no experience. It is what it is with that. It's kind of making the best of a "bad situation" there's nothing you can do about not having job experience except to get job experience.

But your resume says you're intelligent and probably have some useful computer skills even if those skills are still maybe not from job experience.

I would give you an interview based on that resume if I were looking for a junior programmer in a starting position or something along those lines.

Thanks a lot for your advice. I changed the opacity.

Yeah, no experience, so my resume looks lame but I still have two more years left of college. I tried filling it up with as much interesting things as I could. I already got one interview based on my site and have another one scheduled for next week. ^^

This post has been edited by carnivroar: 27 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

http://www.baweaver.com/Resume.pdf

and portfolio: http://www.baweaver.com (or rather http://www.baweaver.com/v2 )
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

Here is my resume.

View PostLemur, on 08 August 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

Look you are very professional. Can you give some guide for me as beginner to enter the web programming field. I don't have any portfolio as you have.

Attached File(s)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

I'm afraid to post my resume here because it barely consumes 1 page. Maybe 3/4? Hahaha.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

Ok, I posted in this before but now i have an online portfolio that needs some critique and comments. I am planning to apply for internships this summer and i need all the reviews and tips on how i can make my web page more presentable and professional. Maybe some people will catch errors in punctuation or spelling that i might have missed. Please feel free to let me know what i can do to make it better! Is the background blue a little too colorful?

My Profile
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

View Postjaay5389, on 19 November 2012 - 07:20 AM, said:

Ok, I posted in this before but now i have an online portfolio that needs some critique and comments. I am planning to apply for internships this summer and i need all the reviews and tips on how i can make my web page more presentable and professional. Maybe some people will catch errors in punctuation or spelling that i might have missed. Please feel free to let me know what i can do to make it better! Is the background blue a little too colorful?

My Profile

First of all, the projects you have done look very impressive and that is what stands out when a potential recruiter sees your resume.

One very small correction : industry ready could be industry-ready :)

Well, about the color, I feel that the white and blue may not be the best combination. You could keep a single color and probably underline your tabs to imply the fact that they are hyperlinks( resume, project etc).

Also, I feel that the 'about me' page could probably have some more information. You could probably say something like your passion towards programming and also your interests on a personal front like hobbies, etc. Not too many, just enough to make the page seem filled.

regards,
Raghav

This post has been edited by raghav.naganathan: 18 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Here's my updated one

http://rcs.hostoi.com/resume.html

Kind of weak but I landed an internship at IBM with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

View Postraghav.naganathan, on 18 November 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

View Postjaay5389, on 19 November 2012 - 07:20 AM, said:

My Profile

First of all, the projects you have done look very impressive and that is what stands out when a potential recruiter sees your resume.

One very small correction : industry ready could be industry-ready :)/>

Well, about the color, I feel that the white and blue may not be the best combination. You could keep a single color and probably underline your tabs to imply the fact that they are hyperlinks( resume, project etc).

Also, I feel that the 'about me' page could probably have some more information. You could probably say something like your passion towards programming and also your interests on a personal front like hobbies, etc. Not too many, just enough to make the page seem filled.

regards,
Raghav

Thank you very much for your insight! I'll change the color scheme and I knew there was something wrong with the about me portion. I will try and personalize it a little bit and add some content to it. I appreciate your input!

BTW Carnivroar your portfolio is very impressive! Small correction that i seen when i happen to be browsing your projects page with my phone is under "My Project Euler Solutions", developping = developing. Congrats on the IBM internship!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

View Postcarnivroar, on 20 November 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

Here's my updated one

Dude...did you just say weak??...coz if yours is weak, then mine would probably be weak^100 :P

I had a great time playing the alien game. It sure was a lot of fun indeed :)

Your projects are really incredible dude...in other words, I would say brilliance personified :)

regards,
Raghav
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:19 AM

View Postjaay5389, on 19 November 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

BTW Carnivroar your portfolio is very impressive! Small correction that i seen when i happen to be browsing your projects page with my phone is under "My Project Euler Solutions", developping = developing. Congrats on the IBM internship!

Thanks, wow, I had that typo there for so long... :P/>

As for your website - I'm looking at the source... do you really need to have the writing content as Javascript functions? It shouldn't be that complicated.

Also, your website looks a little over sized on a 1366x768 screen - I had to scroll horizontally to see the content. You could simply make it so that your main content (I believe you call it allcontentFront) is centered in the middle - that would take care of any screen size.

View Postraghav.naganathan, on 20 November 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

View Postcarnivroar, on 20 November 2012 - 04:39 AM, said:

Here's my updated one

Dude...did you just say weak??...coz if yours is weak, then mine would probably be weak^100 :P/>/>

I had a great time playing the alien game. It sure was a lot of fun indeed :)/>/>

Your projects are really incredible dude...in other words, I would say brilliance personified :)/>/>

regards,
Raghav

Thank you!!! Yeah, I like my game. However I am honestly not very happy with my resume but I am working towards improving it. One internship, one research with a professor, and I will be confident about it. :^:/>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Why can't I upload my CV as an attachment? *fury* Ah well.

Here is my CV, I have about 7 years experience in IT so it is a mid-career CV.

http://www.davidcrad.../uploads/cv.pdf

This post has been edited by wordswords: 13 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First