Data Retrieval

for images and searches

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 807 Views - Last Post: 06 April 2008 - 03:43 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Data Retrieval

Post icon  Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:09 AM

Prob 1: I am making a site for a freind... This site is a simple webcomic. He wants me to add a image uploader and a simple viewer. I voted to use a database since I have no clue how else exept with many many links. So I need a way to upload files to the site server and a way to view them convienantly (and a spell checker would help from that last word). if you could help that would be great.

Prob 2: I am making a personal site for a RPG i'm making and need a way (again for online use) to search a database for certain things. I just want it to retrieve data like a query. A simple search should work right?

If it helps i'm using Access and Frontpage. I do have access to DreamWeaver if you know how to do what I want in there.

Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Data Retrieval

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Data Retrieval

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:22 AM

Well problem 1 is going to be dependent on the server-side language you are using. It is different for PHP, ASP, and Coldfusion. Typically you are going to have a HTML form which will have an input element called "file" which will give you the browse and select a file screen you see on many sites.

This file information is then sent when you click the submit button on the form to a script which does something with the form data and the file they are uploading such as saving it to a specific folder, renaming it if need be etc.

As for the gallery part, again it will depend on the server-side language here to display the graphics. You can typically find freeware gallery scripts online that will allow you to display pictures from a folder on the server in a gallery style look that can be customized. So if you are wanting something quick you could look at those.

Problem 2 can be done a few ways. If your items in the database have something like tags or written content you can do a simple sql query to find items that match keywords. Look into using the "like" operator in SQL.

Select filename, title, description from articles where title like = '*Hamlet*'

This query may find articles where the title has the word "Hamlet" in it. You can build this string dynamically based on content a user enters into a search form. How you build the string and manipulate the form data will be.... you guessed it... based on the server-side language you are using.

This so much isn't a database question but more of a server-side language question. Once you know the server-side language you want to use, you can ask further questions about your problems in that forum. The experts there can tell you where you are going wrong with scripts you have written for this and how might be the best way to continue.

I hope this has answered your questions for the time being. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Data Retrieval

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:43 PM

Thanks. I have no clue about serve r side langauges and such. I am testing a little beta of my site to see if what I tried worked. For this what server side language would be best what are the advantages? Again Thanks...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1