• +
  • Last »

48 Replies - 1801 Views - Last Post: 15 April 2008 - 01:12 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New internet coming!

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:22 PM

http://www.dailytech...rticle11394.htm

It looks as though CERN is revamping their internet to make it 10KX faster.. and its suppose to come out this summer..

I cant wait for this to get to the consumers
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New internet coming!

• Bug Juice Doesn't Come in a Jar
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New internet coming!

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:30 PM

Al gore!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

I wouldn't read into this too much. They have been talking about a new internet for the longest time and saying it was coming any day now. They still have a lot of problems to work out with something like this. Technology was only one obstacle. They also have to implement new cabling capable of the speeds (meaning more fiber optics), kick off the old servers people run in their basements, quell the companies who love to throw their cyber garbage of the net (spammers and heavy advertisers) and get all the telecoms on board with upgrading their hardware.

Not to mention they even say in the article that it is for scientific researchers first and that won't be a problem with the speed... it is when the millions of other people and companies trying to do all their transactions will be when their super fast network will begin to slow down.

Time will tell. Hopefully it works though. :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 07 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:37 PM

Yeah. The advent of Internet 2 has been hailing for a while. It'll come to fruition when the market is ready, just with all things. [nerd] Patience young padawan. [/nerd]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monkey in Training
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:17 PM

But master, I want it! Why won't you give me the big pointy rod?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:25 PM

My biggest concern with a new internet, is that the US would impliment much more wiretapping technologies ahead of time. They didn't see much of a future for it, so they let the control slip by. I wouldn't count on that happening again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:25 PM

This isn't the boy scouts or NAMBLA thread. I think you will want to visit there young grasshopper.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:34 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 7 Apr, 2008 - 07:25 PM, said:

My biggest concern with a new internet, is that the US would impliment much more wiretapping technologies ahead of time. They didn't see much of a future for it, so they let the control slip by. I wouldn't count on that happening again.

I hate to break it to ya if you don't already know this but regardless of your hatred of Bush and his administration, anything you do--anything--at all, is recorded somewhere. Someone can always see what you are doing, have done, maybe even planning to do (thought police anyone?).

Big brutha!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:36 PM

is this the thing they are calling "the grid"?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:38 PM

View Postjjsaw5, on 7 Apr, 2008 - 07:36 PM, said:

is this the thing they are calling "the grid"?

I don't think so. The grid was the idea that idle processes by regular computer users could be harnessed to do other stuff like SETI@home project, so you connect to the grid and they use your idle processing cycles.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

View PostKYA, on 7 Apr, 2008 - 06:34 PM, said:

I hate to break it to ya if you don't already know this but regardless of your hatred of Bush and his administration, anything you do--anything--at all, is recorded somewhere. Someone can always see what you are doing, have done, maybe even planning to do (thought police anyone?).
Big brutha!

You mean they have camera in my garage?? Better move all the pot plants outside then..... Damn! I though I was safe with 16 inches of insulation in the ceiling. lol

Seriously...

When will fast be fast enough? It wasn't that long ago when we were riding horses 150 miles to get to a library, to look up a word we didn't know. We were using candle light to do homework. (We as a people, not me personally) Now we flip a switch and punch a few buttons, and we have the worlds largest library at our finger tips. We can send a letter halfway around the world in what? 6 seconds?
When this new internet does come around, all they'll do is charge us more, and start charging for Emails and stuff... (they'll never be happy until they find a way to charge you for the air you breathe.)
Even if they do make the net 10K faster, will we all need new computers to keep up with it? When will it be fast enough?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

it obviously will be fast enough when "they" say it is fast enough. Plus most of the ISPs have actually fallen behind technologically. The internet boom was a major thing but the ISPs are not doing all they can to offer the fastest internet available.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

View PostKYA, on 7 Apr, 2008 - 09:34 PM, said:

View Postno2pencil, on 7 Apr, 2008 - 07:25 PM, said:

Big brutha!

It has nothing to do with Bush & his administration. What I'm talking about is the control. The level of ownership. When the internet was 1st coming to existence (arpanet), the level of ownership was left to the ISP's, universities, & other local factors. If you knew anything, at all, about how tcp-ip wrappers, large scale networking, & the complete randomness of DNS, you would know that in order to find out anything ground level (wiretap & eavsdrop), the government (or anyone) is going to have to go through local ISPs. That is where my concern for entire global change lies. This little filtering you hear about with Time Warner & AT&T will be chump change. & you didn't break anything to me... I've been into computers & communications since the 80's. I know how it works. If government ears worked like everyone is afraid that they do, then 911 (& half the other shit you see on your news) would never be a factor. What you are preaching is the American way of control by fear. If you keep the masses afraid, they will stay in line. Honesty through paranoia.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A$$hole Extraordinaire.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:06 PM

what the hell is the internet
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:11 PM

View PostTrakker, on 8 Apr, 2008 - 01:06 AM, said:

what the hell is the internet

Phantoms is the bomb, yo! (assuming that I am referring to the same movie)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »