Installing Windows on a SATA drive

Windows Installer can't find drive, even though the Linux Rescue C

Page 1 of 1

12 Replies - 1132 Views - Last Post: 18 April 2008 - 05:40 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Installing Windows on a SATA drive

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:22 AM

Hey all. I would just like to say hello again. I have been away lately, with school and work and life, I haven't been able to visit forum often. But, now that I am getting back into coding, I'm back.

The problem that I'm having is that I am trying to install Windows XP on a laptop, and it has SATA drives that probably require 3rd party drivers. I don't have a floppy drive, but I can put the drivers on a bootable floppy. (This doesn't help anything though, unless I can trick XP into thinking the USB is an A: drive.)

Nevertheless, my trusty Linux Rescue CD with QT Parted has no trouble recognizing the hard drive. I was able to make a separate partition for Windows, but that didn't do me any good. Any suggestions?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Installing Windows on a SATA drive

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Installing Windows on a SATA drive

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:05 AM

there is a bios setting to have the drive appear as an IDE drive unless you are trying to install XP on a Acer. then you are boned and will have to use the vista that came on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

I recently had similar problems on an SATA drive. Happily, XP install disk believed it was some ATA variant and let me see 128GB of the 320GB drive. If you can get the thing installed, you can patch it up to the point it likes the drive.

Another option is to remaster the XP CD and load in the drivers you need.

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 9 Apr, 2008 - 11:31 AM, said:

Another option is to remaster the XP CD and load in the drivers you need.

Good luck.

I've tried that, without luck.

The other thing I was thinking of was installing a version of Tiny XP. I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with that, but the most recent version is supposed to have every kind of driver needed, even for SATA drivers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

Have you tried to get the SATA drivers to load off of the USB floppy disk?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

View PostMorphiusFaydal, on 9 Apr, 2008 - 10:00 PM, said:

Have you tried to get the SATA drivers to load off of the USB floppy disk?

No, because I don't have one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:09 AM

You could always install Windows on a PATA drive, then mirror it onto your SATA drive. Ive had to do that a few times before, and Windows offers a decent tool for mirroring the drive
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:56 AM

It is also possible to slip stream the drivers. Do a google search on how to slip stream Windows XP (forget the exact process its been awhile since I made a slip disk).

Basically what you will be doing in your case is adding the SATA driver for your system to the windows drivers on the XP Disk. So when windows boots up and loads all the drivers it will load the one for your SATA drive also. You need a copy of XP (which u have) and a slip stream tool to make the new disc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:01 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 10 Apr, 2008 - 09:09 AM, said:

You could always install Windows on a PATA drive, then mirror it onto your SATA drive. Ive had to do that a few times before, and Windows offers a decent tool for mirroring the drive

How exactly would I do this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

What type of laptop is it? Is the XP disk you are using a XP SP2 cd? Some manufacturers like dell carry their own install disk that for some reason if you use an XP CD other than the dell provided install CD it will not read the hard disk, especially if it's a SATA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:02 AM

View PostNeoGreen, on 12 Apr, 2008 - 04:43 PM, said:

What type of laptop is it? Is the XP disk you are using a XP SP2 cd? Some manufacturers like dell carry their own install disk that for some reason if you use an XP CD other than the dell provided install CD it will not read the hard disk, especially if it's a SATA.

That's right. I was talking to a tech friend of mine that was explaining why, for some reason to do with the BIOS, Windows XP can no longer be installed.

Anyway, I just now gave up and decided to install Ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:58 PM

Get the free disk wizard software from the manufacturer of the hard drive and follow the instructions to format and partition the drive when you start the system before it boots the OS. Windows seems to have problems locating a hard drive because of some 'critical update' that they installed a while back. If you format the drive, then windows will se it. If you can locate the drive via the computer management console, you can tell windows to format the drive and then windows will display it as healthy and fully functional.

It may appear that you cannot overwrite the newer drives but this is not true. The newer drives have a permanent partition from the manufacturer with their prprietary malware version of windows which cannot be removed but this is only a tiny partition. This way you can always go back at anytime and install the origional malware infested version that came with the system. You can find all of the driver files that you will need usually from the manufacturers support site. You can install your own operating system on any new system but you will need the proprietary driver/software to install from a portable medium because the manufacturers site will only install the things you need if you are using the os that was pre installed on the system. If you have problems finding drivers, just search the method for upgrading the os on the manufacturers site and you should be directed to the individual driver files needed on your system to download individually.

You cannot usually use 3rd party drivers on a laptop and the manufacturers site will only give you drivers if they search your system to identify it, which is why you DL the drivers 1 by 1 and manually install them. Many manuf. now have a file that you can install on a new non proprietary os to ID it and then allow you to install the drivers for that particular system.

This post has been edited by ccrasherdeb: 18 April 2008 - 02:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:40 PM

View Postccrasherdeb, on 18 Apr, 2008 - 01:58 PM, said:

Get the free disk wizard software from the manufacturer of the hard drive and follow the instructions to format and partition the drive when you start the system before it boots the OS. Windows seems to have problems locating a hard drive because of some 'critical update' that they installed a while back. If you format the drive, then windows will se it.

Sorry, no I already tried that. I could not get it to recognize the software. Even a custom-slipstreamed version and another loaded with drivers (including those for the hard drive) would not detect it. But Linux detected it, no problem. Both under the Rescue CD and Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy. Go figure...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1