2 Replies - 740 Views - Last Post: 21 April 2008 - 07:03 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Creating named files - pls help

Post icon  Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:15 PM

Im VERY new to web design. I have looked over basic HTML coding for the last couple days and grasp the ideas of its workings. However, I have a very basic idea for a website, and am pretty sure that it is beyond HTML. So my question is, what language should I use? And, is there already a script for this function?

The following describes my inquiry:

I have designed a simple page with a body of text. Below the text I wish there to be a text box that viewers can enter a single word. Below the text box will be a send button.

When the send button is pressed I want the text box to create a web page with its file name being "1(single word inputted by viewer)"

That web page will have another body of text and a simple link that I would like to also create a web page with its file name being "2(single word inputted by viewer from page 1)"

I am very willing to take the time to learn whatever language is necessary, but I would like to focus on the one that will get this done best. Im pretty sure this isnt TOO complicated a problem, but I have never programmed before and quite frankly am a noob. So, simplicity would be helpful pls :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Creating named files - pls help

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Creating named files - pls help

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:24 PM

There are actually a whole ton of languages you could do this with. My recommendations would be either PHP or Perl.

I recommend Perl because it's what I like - it will give you a lot of power and flexibility for when you decide to move on to more complicated setups. However, if you don't have good coding conventions(and if you're new, you probably won't), it can and will drive you crazy.

My second recommendation is PHP. It's a lot like Perl, although the learning curve to get started is, in my opinion, a lot less steep.

You might want to try Googling for "learn Perl CGI" or "learn PHP", and then work through a Hello World in both. If one language strikes you as more fun to write/better, use that one. If there's a bookstore nearby and you prefer to learn from books, go take a look at their computer books section, and maybe skim through one to see which books you'd prefer to learn with.

This post has been edited by girasquid: 09 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Creating named files - pls help

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:03 PM

thank you very much I appreciate the help!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1