Experienced freedom--now it's hard to find a job

• (3 Pages)
  • +

30 Replies - 2630 Views - Last Post: 28 April 2008 - 02:34 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Experienced freedom--now it's hard to find a job

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:51 PM

Most of the jobs in my region are either government jobs or government contract jobs. And very many of them entail working on computers cleared for classified work. That means that corporate policies, based on government requirements, dictate the use of Microsoft Windows and that software engineers aren't allowed to know the administrator's password to their PCs.

As a software engineer and software developer, I use a PC all day long. The software running on it are the tools of my trade. I become one with my PC. It becomes an extension of me.

It is curious that of the three main PC desktop operating systems (Microsoft Windows, Apple OS X, and Linux) plus the various other choices (e.g. Solaris and FreeBSD), ONLY Windows has significant problems with security. Yet that seems to be the required platform for secure government work.

But regardless of what foolishness the government does, I have been using Linux and open source tools for six years now. I have tasted the freedom that Linux and the free software world has to offer (free as in freedom, not free as in beer). It's excellent! I love it! And I absolutely dread the thought of going back to work on a Windows PC in an environment with lots of government-inspired picayune requirements.

OTOH, I am greatly encouraged that I am seeing some Linux jobs, although most of them require experience developing device drivers for Linux. That's something I am eager to do but haven't yet so they pass me by.

In any case, I see a touch of irony that my own exposure to excellence and freedom is making it difficult for me to land a job I can tolerate.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Experienced freedom--now it's hard to find a job

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Experienced freedom--now it's hard to find a job

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

The 1st line of my resume literally states that I am interested in Multi-Operating System environments, & how they interact. Or something along those lines.

I love the idea of a Linux/Unix Firewall, Apache Web/MySql Server, & maybe Proxy, with Windows machines accessing everything through a PHP frontend interface.

If you embrace both sides, you'll always come out ahead. Jump on an OS bandwaggon, & you'll ride it to the ground.

Unfortunately, I'll admit that I have been guilty of both :P

Just my 2.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:55 PM

Does this really need repeating? Why does Windows have so many security issues? Because that's the largest user base. Yes, and let's blame the government for using Windows. Windows was responsible for 9/11.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:18 PM

I blame Wingdings.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:13 AM

View PostKYA, on 16 Apr, 2008 - 10:55 PM, said:

Does this really need repeating? Why does Windows have so many security issues? Because that's the largest user base.

Some people say that, but others point out that Microsoft bends over backwards to maintain compatibility with a huge list of buggy, poorly written, third-party legacy apps. This support includes allowing dangerous things and is therefore easy to exploit.

Yes, and let's blame the government for using Windows. Windows was responsible for 9/11.

That wasn't the attitude I presented at all. But I do lament that the government continues to use Windows when much better choices are right at hand.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:21 AM

View PostKenJackson, on 17 Apr, 2008 - 04:13 AM, said:

That wasn't the attitude I presented at all. But I do lament that the government continues to use Windows when much better choices are right at hand.

Define "better".

You are under the illusion that *inx iterations are better then Windows. Do you take into account the MASS change that would occur for the government to switch operating systems? The vast retraining of people to use such a system. The list goes on and on, but is not the reason there shouldn't be a switch. I'm merely commenting on why this switch will most likely never happen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:54 AM

View PostKYA, on 17 Apr, 2008 - 03:21 AM, said:

You are under the illusion that *inx iterations are better then Windows. Do you take into account the MASS change that would occur for the government to switch operating systems?

I should have said that I lament that the government would require me to use Windows if I took a government-related job when much better choices are right at hand.

There is no illusion. I have itemized the problems with Windows and the benefits of Linux elsewhere, as have many others. This thread is about a side effect of that whole issue.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:58 AM

I have itemized the problems with Windows and the benefits of Linux elsewhere, as have many others.

Have you itemized the benefits of Windows and the problems of Linux elsewhere as well?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:19 AM

View PostKYA, on 17 Apr, 2008 - 04:58 AM, said:

Have you itemized the benefits of Windows and the problems of Linux elsewhere as well?
No.

Perhaps I offended you by saying, "I absolutely dread the thought of going back to work on a Windows PC." I'm sorry. Although it's a statement of fact. It's a problem for me, but I can't see how it should cause you any pain.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:42 AM

My intention was not to flame and I am by no means a Windows loyalist/fan, but I hate when people make unqualified statements.

There's always an "if" or a "but"

Example:

Linux is better as X thing then Windows, but...

Windows would be more secure if...

etc...

This post has been edited by KYA: 17 April 2008 - 05:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:58 AM

@KenJackson: As a user of both OS's I would have to say that there is no way in hell I would ever make the jump to Linux as my primary OS, simply because it supports exactly 0% of the applications I currently run, thus in my opinion it isn't the best OS choice out there, and never will be because they simply refuse to be compatible with applications 99% of the planet run. Yes Windows has some security issues, but Linux does as well, but since only about 3% of the worlds population run Linux no hacker/cracker/script kiddie takes the time to write exploits for it. They go to make the largest impact at once, which is the Windows user base.

In my 20+ years of running Windows, Ive never had a virus, been hacked, had my machine turned into a zombie machine, never had an issue with security in any way shape or form. Your rant is nothing more than drivel someone could expect to hear from a *nix loyalist
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:02 AM

View PostKYA, on 17 Apr, 2008 - 01:55 AM, said:

Does this really need repeating? Why does Windows have so many security issues? Because that's the largest user base. Yes, and let's blame the government for using Windows. Windows was responsible for 9/11.

No no no, Bush was using windows so theoretically it is Bush's fault. It is Bush's fault the government uses windows.

You guys crack me up. We always end up discussing religion in here. Windows, Linux & Mac.

Thats why I am working on inventing Winix OS. (Can't we all just get along.)

I think all operating systems suck. Not one of them writes there own programs for me, nor do they fix my bugs, nor do they allow me to be a total lazy f*(Radio Edit) and waste my life away watching American Idol - (Quick stab at humor aimed towards Pyscho :) )

This post has been edited by Nykc: 17 April 2008 - 06:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:23 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 17 Apr, 2008 - 05:58 AM, said:

@KenJackson: As a user of both OS's I would have to say that there is no way in hell I would ever make the jump to Linux as my primary OS, simply because it supports exactly 0% of the applications I currently run, thus in my opinion it isn't the best OS choice out there, and never will be because they simply refuse to be compatible with applications 99% of the planet run.

This sounds like a rant. You may continue to use Windows. I am not bothered by that at all.

But I'm sure you are wrong about the 99% figure. There are thousands upon thousands of excellent free software applications available. For example, the FreeBSD Ports Collection is currently boasting 18319 ports or applications, and no-doubt most of those also run under Linux. For your statement to be true, there would have to be 1.8 million Windows applications that aren't available for Linux and that won't run under the Wine compatibility layer.

Your rant is nothing more than drivel someone could expect to hear from a *nix loyalist

My rant? I didn't post a rant, but a discussion of my personal situation. I didn't even advocate the switch to Linux. I just puzzled over why the switch isn't made in view of the circumstances. It's very genuine puzzlement.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:38 AM

Shall I name a few:

Office (Open Office is a POS)
Visual Studio (Nothing for C# with .Net on *nix, well except for their half assed Mono Framework)
All my games
Photoshop (Sorry GIMP isn't even a close 2nd)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:56 AM

For me GIMP is much better then Photoshop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +