Phenom 9850 black edition

DDR2 1066 Ram Problems

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

31 Replies - 4424 Views - Last Post: 10 May 2008 - 11:28 PM

#1 The Mulliganator  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: 20-April 08

Phenom 9850 black edition

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:46 AM

Hi everyone,
Im The Mulliganator, This is the first forum ive joined so please bear with me.
i have built a computer, the specs are as follows:
GIGABYTE GA,MA790FX-DS5, 790FX, F5
COOLMASTER IGREEN 600W PSU,
GeFORCE XFX 8800GT ALPHA DOG EDITION XXX,
AKASA EVO blue CPU COOLER,
PHENOM 9850 BLACK EDITION,
1GB DDR2 1066MHz/PC2,8500 UNBUFFERED NON ECC {EXTRA VALUE}
WINDOWS XP PRO SERVICE PACK 3,V.3300.
Disk Drive SATA MAXTOR S SCSI (149 GB)

When i first built this computer i had the athlon 4.2 x2, it ran perfect ,when i installed the phenom every 10 mins or so it kept restarting.Then i figured out to up date bios from F4-F5 that stopped it restarting but when i play crysis,fear, assassins cread,farcry,after about 15-30 mins or so the game just disappears /switches off and goes straight back to desktop ive also had error code IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL .... Ive also tried other ram, ddr2 800 x4x1g, ddr2 533 x2x1g same thing happens, plus sometimes it stops responding.Apart from that it runs great, what a processor,Can anyone give me some advice,Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Phenom 9850 black edition

#2 Jayman  Icon User is offline

  • Student of Life
  • member icon

Reputation: 421
  • View blog
  • Posts: 9,532
  • Joined: 26-December 05

Re: Phenom 9850 black edition

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:52 AM

Moved to Computer Support.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 PsychoCoder  Icon User is offline

  • Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

Reputation: 1659
  • View blog
  • Posts: 19,853
  • Joined: 26-July 07

Re: Phenom 9850 black edition

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:56 AM

The majority of the time when you receive the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message it's because your CPU is overheating, the 2nd most common cause is bad RAM. I would say, since you said you're tried different RAM, that your CPU is overheating. When running the Phenom 9850 Black and the NVIDIA 8800GT you had better have some serious cooling in your box. If you are running just the stock CPU cooler then upgrade it, and fast.

How many fans do you have in your case? What size are they? I run the AMD Phenom 9850 Black and an NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT and I run 3 90mm fans and 1 120mm fan, and I also don't run the stock CPU cooler, thats asking for serious issues, especially with a CPU that puts off as much heat as the Phenom does.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Martyr2  Icon User is offline

  • Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

Reputation: 5078
  • View blog
  • Posts: 13,705
  • Joined: 18-April 07

Re: Phenom 9850 black edition

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:10 AM

Psycho is right about the Phenom. Those bad boys do run pretty hot. The new 9900 with the standard heatpipe is still going to run in the neighborhood of 49-50C which is going to be a bit hot especially if you want to overclock it in the future.

So I would recommend icing it down with a good heat sink/fan and see if that does the trick. Make sure you have adequate fans as psycho mentioned and you will probably see improvements.

Also make sure that your RAM is good with some memory testing equipment like memtest or similar just to rule that out.

You will be fine. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 The Mulliganator  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: 20-April 08

Re: Phenom 9850 black edition

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:14 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 20 Apr, 2008 - 10:56 AM, said:

The majority of the time when you receive the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message it's because your CPU is overheating, the 2nd most common cause is bad RAM. I would say, since you said you're tried different RAM, that your CPU is overheating. When running the Phenom 9850 Black and the NVIDIA 8800GT you had better have some serious cooling in your box. If you are running just the stock CPU cooler then upgrade it, and fast.

How many fans do you have in your case? What size are they? I run the AMD Phenom 9850 Black and an NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT and I run 3 90mm fans and 1 120mm fan, and I also don't run the stock CPU cooler, thats asking for serious issues, especially with a CPU that puts off as much heat as the Phenom does.

thanks for replying i actually have 3 fans 1 120mm at front 80mm at back and 80mm on the side, i dont think its over heating cpu idle 43c when playing games 49c stock CPU cooler definately not stock.GPU temps 49c idle 55c tops
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 PsychoCoder  Icon User is offline

  • Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

Reputation: 1659
  • View blog
  • Posts: 19,853
  • Joined: 26-July 07

Re: Phenom 9850 black edition

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:23 AM

Your 2 80mm fans are like shooting a freight train with a bb gun, they're doing next to nothing. 49c is running rather hot, and if thats what it is running idle then your CPU cooler isn't doing it's job, mine doesnt run near that idle, and I might hit 49C when running an intensive program or game. I'm telling you that you are overheating and that is what's causing this issue, that is why it happens after 30 minutes or so when playing a graphic intensive game. Also, it could be your graphics card overheating, but it is definately overheating somewhere.

If you're not willing to take the advice why ask in the first place :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 The Mulliganator  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: 20-April 08

Re: Phenom 9850 black edition

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:27 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 20 Apr, 2008 - 11:10 AM, said:

Psycho is right about the Phenom. Those bad boys do run pretty hot. The new 9900 with the standard heatpipe is still going to run in the neighborhood of 49-50C which is going to be a bit hot especially if you want to overclock it in the future.

So I would recommend icing it down with a good heat sink/fan and see if that does the trick. Make sure you have adequate fans as psycho mentioned and you will probably see improvements.

Also make sure that your RAM is good with some memory testing equipment like memtest or similar just to rule that out.

You will be fine. :)

thanks for reply, i really think its the ddr2 1066 because i have 2 other computers in the house they use the ddr2 800 & and the ddr2 533 no problems with them. i plan on overclocking sometime but not until im sure its not the CPU.can you recomend a good ddr2 1066 not to pricey though.Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 The Mulliganator  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: 20-April 08

Re: Phenom 9850 black edition

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:37 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 20 Apr, 2008 - 11:23 AM, said:

Your 2 80mm fans are like shooting a freight train with a bb gun, they're doing next to nothing. 49c is running rather hot, and if thats what it is running idle then your CPU cooler isn't doing it's job, mine doesnt run near that idle, and I might hit 49C when running an intensive program or game. I'm telling you that you are overheating and that is what's causing this issue, that is why it happens after 30 minutes or so when playing a graphic intensive game. Also, it could be your graphics card overheating, but it is definately overheating somewhere.

If you're not willing to take the advice why ask in the first place :)

thanks again for replying I said my CPU Idle temp is 43C and 49C when playing a game like crysis or assassins cread my GPU temps are 49C idle 55 tops do you still think its over heating?
All advice is appreciated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 PsychoCoder  Icon User is offline

  • Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

Reputation: 1659
  • View blog
  • Posts: 19,853
  • Joined: 26-July 07

Re: Phenom 9850 black edition

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:40 PM

I would say theres a 90% probability that you're having an overheating issue, my CPU temps are no where near those readings, even when I max it out. I do think you need more cooling in your case, the CPU, along with that card is putting off a ton of heat. 2 80mm and 1 120mm fan just isn't a lot of cooling with that kind of hardware.

Remember, if your CPU is at 49c then you're running at 120f, and thats pretty damn hot

This post has been edited by PsychoCoder: 20 April 2008 - 12:44 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 Mikhail  Icon User is offline

  • Bastard Operator From Hell
  • member icon

Reputation: 59
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,378
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Re: Phenom 9850 black edition

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:53 PM

Yeah for that, either get more fans, or larger case, or even watercooling however watercooling is expensive, so more fans should do a trick, and also get after market CPU Cooler. You wouldn't want to ruin your expensive processor.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 The Mulliganator  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: 20-April 08

Re: Phenom 9850 black edition

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:56 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 20 Apr, 2008 - 12:40 PM, said:

I would say theres a 90% probability that you're having an overheating issue, my CPU temps are no where near those readings, even when I max it out. I do think you need more cooling in your case, the CPU, along with that card is putting off a ton of heat. 2 80mm and 1 120mm fan just isn't a lot of cooling with that kind of hardware.

Remember, if your CPU is at 49c then you're running at 120f, and thats pretty damn hot

Thanks, psychoCoder i will sort out better cooling.also can you recomend a good ddr2 1066 not to expensive.thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 PsychoCoder  Icon User is offline

  • Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

Reputation: 1659
  • View blog
  • Posts: 19,853
  • Joined: 26-July 07

Re: Phenom 9850 black edition

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:00 PM

When it comes to computer hardware you get what you pay for, so it's not in your best interest to scrimp. For PC1066 DDR2 go with PNY, Corsair or OCZ Technologies, they make a decent RAM. Ive never had an issue with either
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 The Mulliganator  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: 20-April 08

Re: Phenom 9850 black edition

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:10 PM

View PostMikhail, on 20 Apr, 2008 - 12:53 PM, said:

Yeah for that, either get more fans, or larger case, or even watercooling however watercooling is expensive, so more fans should do a trick, and also get after market CPU Cooler. You wouldn't want to ruin your expensive processor.

thanks dude, yes your damn right i dont want to ruin my processor. lol

View PostPsychoCoder, on 20 Apr, 2008 - 01:00 PM, said:

When it comes to computer hardware you get what you pay for, so it's not in your best interest to scrimp. For PC1066 DDR2 go with PNY, Corsair or OCZ Technologies, they make a decent RAM. Ive never had an issue with either

Thanks dude, advice taken and appreciated. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 2457  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 72
  • Joined: 09-April 08

Re: Phenom 9850 black edition

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:10 PM

CPU heat is in "normal" range, it should not freeze becouse of that.
RAM "should" be o.k., You hae tested with various RAM.

Close to 50 celsius at load is not bad at all.
Not enough for overclocking, but at stock speed it does the job for a stabile system.


My suggestion:
TRY a different VGA card.
See if that overheats or not.

I had a friend with simular problem, he was useing an ASUS 8600gt passive. After I got the card to run cooler (nice fan added to the heatsink of that stupid design..) problems got solved.


Please, try to use a different vga card, and we shall see.
BUt I'm allmost confident its You vga card overheating.

Should You do a clean intall, and frsh drivers too.
It NEVER hurts.
Make sure everything is running on stock speed, and dynamic overclocking gizmo is enabled neighter by bios, or software, or anything.


You could allso try to use a different heatpaste, the one wich comes with AMDs heatsinks is a nonsense.. But, still I'm confident that Yours geforce is overheating.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 2457  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 72
  • Joined: 09-April 08

Re: Phenom 9850 black edition

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:15 PM

View PostThe Mulliganator, on 20 Apr, 2008 - 10:46 AM, said:

Hi everyone,
Im The Mulliganator, This is the first forum ive joined so please bear with me.
i have built a computer, the specs are as follows:
GIGABYTE GA,MA790FX-DS5, 790FX, F5
COOLMASTER IGREEN 600W PSU,
GeFORCE XFX 8800GT ALPHA DOG EDITION XXX,
AKASA EVO blue CPU COOLER,
PHENOM 9850 BLACK EDITION,
1GB DDR2 1066MHz/PC2,8500 UNBUFFERED NON ECC {EXTRA VALUE}
WINDOWS XP PRO SERVICE PACK 3,V.3300.
Disk Drive SATA MAXTOR S SCSI (149 GB)

When i first built this computer i had the athlon 4.2 x2, it ran perfect ,when i installed the phenom every 10 mins or so it kept restarting.Then i figured out to up date bios from F4-F5 that stopped it restarting but when i play crysis,fear, assassins cread,farcry,after about 15-30 mins or so the game just disappears /switches off and goes straight back to desktop ive also had error code IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL .... Ive also tried other ram, ddr2 800 x4x1g, ddr2 533 x2x1g same thing happens, plus sometimes it stops responding.Apart from that it runs great, what a processor,Can anyone give me some advice,Thanks.


a realy small addition, if You can, try to remove the scsi hard disk for a test, and use a regular serail ata drive.
I heard of problems with them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3