4 Replies - 2141 Views - Last Post: 30 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I wanna be a ninja..... any tips.

Post icon  Posted 24 April 2008 - 03:21 AM

Hey wassup. I finished school in 06, since then got a job doing VB6 apps. Wanna get an MCAD or something to start with. At the moment im learning C#. However, in a couple of years, i wanna be a C#, Java, PHP and SQL ninja. Anyone got any tips on the best way to get better? I mean, i basically learnt VB6 from the web and other people's code, so i know that the more you practice, the better you get.

Whats the best and fastest way to learn new languages? Buying books, online tutorials, or just hacking around in other people's code?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I wanna be a ninja..... any tips.

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I wanna be a ninja..... any tips.

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:39 PM

View Postmaxthepiro, on 24 Apr, 2008 - 08:21 PM, said:

in a couple of years, i wanna be a C#, Java, PHP and SQL ninja. Anyone got any tips on the best way to get better?

There are many ways to better yourself in Programming.

1. Read books ensuring you try the examples, and reflect at the end of each chapter to ensure what you have learnt has stuck.
2. Participate in Open Source. There are plenty of ways to do this, such sites include SourceForge and Google Code.
3. Answer questions right here at </dream.in.code>. Many of the questions asked here are real world questions that you will be expected to know on the job.
4. Writing tutorials I've found is a great way to learn even more about the subject you are demonstrating. While you are explaining concepts and researching them yourself to get a more clear and consise explaination, you are furthering your knowledge, and you are writing it down. </dream.in.code> also has a section for Tutorials.

View Postmaxthepiro, on 24 Apr, 2008 - 08:21 PM, said:

Whats the best and fastest way to learn new languages? Buying books, online tutorials, or just hacking around in other people's code?

The speed of learning a new language varys from person to person. Here are some tips to make learning a new language faster:

1. Understand Program flow (very vital and important).
2. Start small (don't drown in the deep end).
3. Know the limitations of your language (is it a scripting language? client/server side?).
4. Learn the syntax of your language.
5. View online tutorials and snippets of your language, taking note of how and why stuff happens.
6. Like what you are doing. (C++ might be good for some, it might not be so good for others).
7. Give your brain plenty of time to reflect (don't force-feed it information).

But most importantly, the only way you are going to get better in any language is experience and time.

Hope that helps. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

i especially like i this quote
Give your brain plenty of time to reflect (don't force-feed it information)
. very very true for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:42 AM

Build things. Build things you want in languages you want to learn. Do whatever you need to to learn what you need to to build the things you want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

Don't forget to be a true ninja you must practice in solitude, harness the power of the shadow, train for years to quiet your mind and be one with nature and your environment.

When you are ready, you must pass three tests... snatching a pebble from your master's hand, catch a fly with chop sticks, and kick ass while drunk like Van Dam did in the movie "kickboxer". Then you will be a true ninja like many of us.

:ph34r:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1