For a newbie

How long did it take you to learn to program?

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 1619 Views - Last Post: 04 May 2008 - 11:15 AM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

For a newbie

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:29 AM

I am new to programming (been doing so for <2.5 years), and was wondering, how long did it take you to learn to program? I mean, really, i see these people answering questions, and they just seem to know everything there is to know. How long does it take one to become more "mature" in their programming style? For example, in my rush to keep things simple, i often overcomplicate things, such as creating an incredibly complex (logically) function(s) using simple commands rather than learning a few more advanced commands that i didn't get at the moment?

Curiosity killed the cat.

Polymath

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: For a newbie

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: For a newbie

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:52 AM

Well the first thing to realize is that we are all still learning. Programming is in a constant state of change and updating so when you think you have something mastered, it will change and there will be more to learn.

But the time it takes can vary from person to person and language to language. Some languages are more complicated and complex than others. It also depends on the level of dedication you put into learning it.

It is safe to say that to learn a language well enough is on the order of years... I have seen some awesome programmers pick up programming in 2 year span, and some people I have seen it takes 10 years. It is really wide ranging.

My first language C++ took me a couple years to truly feel comfortable with it. But once I knew it, other languages were learned much faster. Now I can usually turn over a new language in about a year if it is based on OOP principles. A bit longer if it is not.

But then again I am a programming junkie and surely it will take others longer to pick up languages. Anyone who claims to be a master of a language like C++ or Java in a few months is full of shit though. They may know the basics and can write some decent programs, but when it comes to the subtleties they are still learning.

Edit: btw... learning syntax is only half the battle. I find programmers struggle more with good habits and learning how to do things the right way. The "principle" part is just as important as the syntax. That is what causes others to take more time to learn a language. These principles come through years of experience.

Hopefully that answers your question.

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 04 May 2008 - 10:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: For a newbie

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:15 AM

Thank you for your interest. It does answer my question.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1