Hillary Finished.. Voting for Obama?

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

108 Replies - 3098 Views - Last Post: 12 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Hillary Finished.. Voting for Obama?

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:32 AM

I agree there is no fast solution to any of the problems that we have in the country today, but I think as a whole we have to think about what we want for our kids and their future. If I have been taught anything in my short time on this planet, it is that sometimes you have to suffer for something before it can get better, and that you should always have a plan. A realistic plan, understand that unless we can come together to support the betterment of ourselves and our future, nothing is going to get done. We as citizens and voters have to understand where our priorities are as a whole. The questions we should be asking ourselves are “What is this person going to accomplish?” or “what can I do as a citizen to bring change in my government?” not “do I vote for a non-republican candidate?” or “this guy got arrested in HIGHSCHOOL for drinking and driving, should I vote for someone who did something that irresponsible when they were a teenager?” America in my humble opinion is one of the greatest countries in the world, our concept of freedom and our structure of government gives us much more opportunity then a lot of other nations. However, while out concept is good, our execution is not without fault. Before everyone gets all riled up about how we should or shouldn’t be in war with the Middle East, I want to share an experience with you.
[flashback]
My day had started off just like any other day; I had gotten up at my usual time, bushed my teeth and grabbed a frozen pop-tart on my way out the door to wait at the bus stop at the ass-crack of dawn. I was during the midst of my usual internal sleep deprived rant wondering why school couldn’t start just ONE HOUR later, when the bus came barreling down the curved hill at the top of my street with the breaks squeaking the whole way down. I mentally readied myself against the usual morning chatter and usual barrage of swearing (because it was cool then) by the other kids on the bus; I quietly took my seat in the back of the bus (where the grade hierarchy dictated I sit, lest I be grouped in with the ‘lesser’ beings on the bus), and curled up next to the cold window in an attempt to catch forty-five more minutes of sleep.
When I came too, my head was not-so-gently tapping against the window as the bus stopped and started through the precession of busses unloading bright-eyed kids onto the front pavement of the school entrance. I slung my backpack up over my shoulder and watched the unopened shiny pop-tart package hit the bus seat; I shoved it into my pocket and scooted off of the bus. Navigating through the mass of students who where oblivious to any and every thing around them, I made my way to my locker and eventually to my classroom.
The classroom essentially, was one larger classroom divided in two smaller ones by a collapsible wall of particle board covered in fabric and hung in panels on a track, the rooms would be joined for two periods a day while one teacher instructed history, and then the teachers would switch off and the other would lead us through literature. Mathematics and Science were divided into the advanced students and the average students. My first class of that day was math, it droned on similar to the peanuts cartoons, and I fought with myself trying to keep awake. The rest of the morning followed in the same manner. I got my first kick of energy when the lunchtime buzz started to circle around the classroom, and the usual three minute countdown as we all watched for the minute hand to inch closer to lunchtime. Books started to move into the appropriate places on the desks so that they would be spared in the mad-dash to the cafeteria, some of the more energetic boys and girls balanced on their toes, ready to spring when the bell sounded. My fingers drummed impatiently on the desk, two minutes and forty-six seconds…. Forty-five…. Forty-four…. I looked away to try and finish one last problem to keep my min occupied until… The bell sounds and when I made it out into the main hallway, the lunch activities were already well into swing. I waited in the lunch-line, ate my food while a small group of my friends and I talked about the usual gossip, and we waited for the lunch aids to announce who would be on the playground side of the school for recess.
My class got the black-top side, again.
Finally, after the lunch aids filed every single kid into their appropriate side of the building, the first throw was made for the first round of wall-ball. Everything was looking positively normal. Then, the whistle blew, we all knew something was amiss; we hadn’t finished one game, in a time where we could usually finish five or six. There was talk of a fire, kidnappings, murders running lose through the city, the waste treatment plant having another meltdown, and a few other random theories floating around the lines. The aids looked ill, as the lead us back into our classrooms.
When I returned to the room with the others, there was a quiet chatter about what could have happened in that short time, other kid’s parents were coming into school to take them home, and I was starting to wonder where my own mother was. My teachers sat the whole class down and finally explained what happened. I didn’t even know what the World Trade Center was, let alone why someone would want to fly a plane into it, some of the teachers were saying that schools could me the next targets. I wanted to cry; I wanted my mom to come and get me and explain to me what on earth was going on. I wanted to know a lot of things, and my head was spinning so fast, I wasn’t sure if we were in danger or not, is there a drill we are supposed to have if we get bombed, I just didn’t know.
Then I looked around the room at my classmates, and I realized they were thinking the same thing I was, I could see the same fear I had in my heart, resonating in their eyes. [/flashback]
I was in sixth grade, what the hell was I supposed to know?
But looking back now, I saw what it did to us as a country, differences or not, we looked to each other for guidance, love, support, and we looked to our president for leadership. We stood beside each other as a single cohesive unit, with a single unspoken demand. We want justice.
That is how it should be now, if we cannot decide to work together for a better life for those who will live to see and age past ours, how can we progress as a society? I understand that now it sucks, but we have to work together, as goofy and mushy as it sounds, but that’s what has to happen, we have to make a statement and inspire change when we are discontent. I don’t care who is in office so long as they listen to the voices of the people. But at the same time we have to express our concerns, to the people that lead our country. If nothing is done about it, then we have the right as citizens to change it ourselves. I never want my kids to feel the fear and uncertainty that I felt that day, and I don’t want to have to explain to them why their brother is going somewhere for a little while, but we don’t know where he is going, or why everyone is crying because he is going away. Why wait for someone else to come up with a plan? Let’s make the damn plan up ourselves.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bug Juice Doesn't Come in a Jar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

I refuse to read that. It is too long. My blood sugar is high.

Nykc translate please.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 12 May, 2008 - 12:41 PM, said:

View PostNykc, on 12 May, 2008 - 10:24 AM, said:

Found this in my inbox this morning. Somewhat oldie, but the point is there.

Strangely, posting spam emails does not tend to support the intellience of one's argument. Besides, it's crap: http://www.snopes.co...pbox/dakota.asp :P

You mean I sound like the Liberals talking about CRAP! It is funny how these SPAM emails make more sense than half of the nonsense I heard so far in this thread.

Thanks for validating my point.

edit @ axel - it was a livejournal entry.

This post has been edited by Nykc: 12 May 2008 - 11:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

View PostNykc, on 12 May, 2008 - 12:34 PM, said:

View Postbaavgai, on 12 May, 2008 - 12:41 PM, said:

View PostNykc, on 12 May, 2008 - 10:24 AM, said:

Found this in my inbox this morning. Somewhat oldie, but the point is there.

Strangely, posting spam emails does not tend to support the intellience of one's argument. Besides, it's crap: http://www.snopes.co...pbox/dakota.asp :P

You mean I sound like the Liberals talking about CRAP! It is funny how these SPAM emails make more sense than half of the nonsense I heard so far in this thread.

Thanks for validating my point.

he actually did the exact opposite of validating your point by pointing out what you posted was a complete fabrication. you are essentially saying that falsities are better than facts because they agree with you. take that full circle and you are essentially saying that you yourself are wrong, you just sound better at it. (which is debatable)

guys i don't really care what political views anyone holds, but your disrespectful tone to others and their viewpoints is pretty sad. this doesn't go for everyone in this thread, mostly the most vocal, but it's happening on both sides.

i'm going to close this thread as it has run it's full course, and these kind of threads just refuse to die a natural death.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First