• (2 Pages)
  • +

27 Replies - 1188 Views - Last Post: 12 May 2008 - 03:09 AM

• A$$hole Extraordinaire.
  • member icon

• View blog

Literacy problem in america?

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:13 AM

So I sold my white 280ZX a while back on craigslist, but for some reason I can't take down the ad, and I keep getting emails about it on a daily basis. That's fine and dandy, I have no problem, since these people took the time to write me, to write them back and tell them that it is no longer for sale. The thing is, it's as if a 4 year old wrote these messages with crayon, and they then transcribed it into an email and sent it off.

hi
can u send to me more photo for z i whant see the down the car if
THERE ARE NO MAJOR RUST PROBLEMS ANYWHERE ONTHE car and inside the z to see

pls what last price can i pay cash

if i buy can u send to port

and pls ur number to call you

weating your answer
thanks

I don't get it. When I'm trying to do business with people, I'm very formal, very courteous, and very polite. All my emails are spell checked and formatted nicely, and when I'm speaking on the phone I speak fluently, politely, and treat the other person with respect.

There's a phrase for all this: Common Courtesy.

Any of you have alot of this?

</rant>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Literacy problem in america?

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Literacy problem in america?

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:19 AM

Yes, its in my friends txt messages. I stopped txting just so I can go back to normal english.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:29 AM

I bought a phone that has a QWERTY keyboard.

While I do have some problems with spelling (the English language is strange, when compared to most of the rest of the world) I do my best to make corrections as well as learn from my mistakes. The biggest problem is not that American's are stupid, they just simply don't care. Literacy, unemployment, drug abuse... this country has a lot to overcome, & there are more people sitting at home waiting for government assitance than are stepping up to their own plate to make change.

& don't tell me that I'm wrong on this one... I've worked two jobs on many, MANY occasions. Long hours, horrible jobs, but I did what it took to get by. I paid my way through school, while working. I just don't know how someone can sit around & complain about their situation. They are waiting for someone to come along & make everything better, pave their way (so to speak), because that's what's fair. That's what due to them. Sometimes I really do think that this country is doomed. & I'm thinking it'll be soon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Refactorer in Chief
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:40 AM

It's likely this person is neither in the US, nor has any intention of buying your car. Smacks of scam to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:44 PM

nah, that's pretty much how everything on craigslist goes, i sold some concert tickets on it, it was the exact same thing.

the worst (to me) is when i see people who i grew up with doing that. all i can think to myself is "bitch, we graduated from the same high skool, how the fuck does that even work?"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:00 PM

Well here is a great story for you.... I was on the bus the other day on my way home from work when two teenage boys got in the back seat behind me and started talking. They were about 13 or 14. One of them had some teen magazine or something and decided to start reading some quiz questions to the other kid. From the sounds of the questions it was one of those girlie "Does he like me?" quizzes.

So I listen silently as the one boy reads these girlie questions to the other boy. So he reads the first question and he pauses several times in between words, he mispronounces words, and for some reason he keeps dropping the last syllable on some of the words. Not to mention he was reading at a rather slow pace. The second boy listening would then reply "What?" and the other boy would reread the question, still lousy. The other boy would go "What did you say?" and finally the one boy reads it again and finally gets the point across (still not reading it well though).

The other boy would then answer and again the boy would read another question like crap and the kid would have to ask again "What?"

After a few questions they change roles. The boy who was asking questions is now answering and the one answering is now asking the questions. The boy begins and his reading WAS JUST AS BAD! So the one answering was having to ask "What?" and they continued like this.

Now I was amazed at the situation. A.) They couldn't read out loud worth a shit B.) Their attention span was so short that they forgot the first part of the question and C.) Their pronunciation was wickedly horrible and D.) They were reading some chick magazine quiz to begin with.

If that is not a break down in Literacy I don't know what is. Reading and listening skills were right out the door. Product of our future generations. Good luck to the world.

Edit: Oh and btw, these boys were not foreign. English was obviously their mother tongue.

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 09 May 2008 - 01:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:05 PM

who the fuck writes their messages in red.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:08 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 9 May, 2008 - 01:00 PM, said:

D.) They were reading some chick magazine quiz to begin with.

That's not really a problem though as long as it's READ intelligibly... Though with most of that stuff it isn't very intelligent to begin with...

Edit

View Postcapty99, on 9 May, 2008 - 01:05 PM, said:

who the fuck writes their messages in red.

I do everywhere except forums, unless I'm saying "Happy Birthday" or something. It's actually a deep red-purple color but still.

Edit

OK I'll give you the fact even I write emails in autocolor (black or whatever is the default color).

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 09 May 2008 - 01:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

I'd run a mile from a response like that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:28 PM

are you actually from zimbabwe?

wtf... how does za mean south africa... nvm.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 Guest_Whizzy*

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:59 PM

I think if I owned a business, I don't care if it was digging ditches...
I would throw out a sheet of paper with the preamble to the constitution on it, and if they couldn't read it in 10 -15 seconds, would have no shot at the job...

Unfortunately, it’s not just a literary problem, it’s all basic skills. The cash registers at McDonalds has pictures on it, so they hire these assholes that are to lazy to learn to read.

Try this:

Go to McDonalds.. Make sure you have the change for a dollar in your pocket. After they ring up your order, and open the drawer, say “Oh, hold on a minute” then give them a few coins to make it easier...
I’ll bet you a Big Mac, they’ll have to call the manager over because they are to damn stupid to make the change in their head... This is simple subtraction... Have these places no employee standards? Don't they have to learn their Mc "ABC"'s or how to count to five on one hand or something?

It's sad...
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• Wubba lubba dub dub!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:21 PM

For some reason I am always surrounded by retards out in the world.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:44 AM

View Postcapty99, on 9 May, 2008 - 10:28 PM, said:

are you actually from zimbabwe?

No. If I was in Zim you would never see my posts, 'cause I would never be online - that country's falling apart faster than you can say "Robert Mugabe".

View Postcapty99, on 9 May, 2008 - 10:28 PM, said:

wtf... how does za mean south africa... nvm.

As far as I know, it comes from the Dutch name for South Africa, 'Zuid Afrika'. They were the ones who colonized Cape Town back in the day.

History 101.
:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:49 AM

View PostWhizzy, on 9 May, 2008 - 04:59 PM, said:

Go to McDonalds.. Make sure you have the change for a dollar in your pocket. After they ring up your order, and open the drawer, say “Oh, hold on a minute” then give them a few coins to make it easier...
I’ll bet you a Big Mac, they’ll have to call the manager over because they are to damn stupid to make the change in their head... This is simple subtraction... Have these places no employee standards? Don't they have to learn their Mc "ABC"'s or how to count to five on one hand or something?

It's sad...

Ive actually had that happen, I had to tell her "That means you just give me $5 back, no change", she still had to ask for help. It is sad, a couple years ago 6th grade Japanese children scored higher on the same test as our seniors in high school did. The generations just keep getting lazier and lazier, and it's all to blame on *GASP* technology. When some of us *COUGH Whizzy COUGH* were kids we had to actually write things, using a pen and paper. We had to research, in a library *OMG*. If we wanted to talk to someone we had to actually use a phone, or worse yet, walk to their house *Hears the younger generation gasping for air*.

<RANT>
Technology has made our kids lazy. Don't get me wrong, I know it is this same technology that pays the bills and makes me what I am today so I'm not saying that technology is bad, but too much of it is definitely a bad thing. Kids today don't need to know how to spell, thats what SpellCheck is for, they don't need to know what the capital of Alabama is, thats what Google is for. I bet if you were to ask a group of 16 year olds to hand write an assignment most of them would bitch and complain to no end. Where do we draw the line, or can we even draw the line now
</RANT>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Wubba lubba dub dub!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:59 AM

i haff teen meehsteaks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +