3 Replies - 862 Views - Last Post: 12 May 2008 - 11:52 AM

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Guidance

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:43 AM

Could anyone tell me what is the most important thing(s) to know in order to get and keep a job as a programmer? I'd like to learn it all, but I think it's not really possible.

Can anyone here guide me in the general direction I should go, and what I ought to concentrate on learning next? I already have an AAS degree in computer science/programming, so I know the basics. My instructor said C# is what is used most, now.

Any other ideas? What is not used or not important to know? Do they mostly use SQL or mySQL?

Thanks a lot :)

Olive

oops! Sorry I didn't post this in the right place :blink:

This post has been edited by OliveOyl3471: 11 May 2008 - 11:10 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Guidance

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Guidance

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:17 PM

I would like to see other opinions on this as well.

I don't think its how much you know, but how you apply what you know and your work ethic.

2c
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:25 PM

SQL, ColdFusion and ASP are popular in the financial sectors. My advice is learn Enterprise Software. Learn it as best as you can as you will never fully learn it all, but the more you know. Javascript is important also, learn it as well as XML, XLST - It will take you a long way.

Documentation is important, learn about Tech Design and basically study the SDLC process. (Software Development Life Cycle).

There is more, but this would be a good start.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:52 AM

View PostNykc, on 11 May, 2008 - 06:25 PM, said:

SQL, ColdFusion and ASP are popular in the financial sectors. My advice is learn Enterprise Software. Learn it as best as you can as you will never fully learn it all, but the more you know. Javascript is important also, learn it as well as XML, XLST - It will take you a long way.

Documentation is important, learn about Tech Design and basically study the SDLC process. (Software Development Life Cycle).

There is more, but this would be a good start.

Thank you for the information.
It seems to me that a lot of the languages are quite similar, so it shouldn't be too hard to learn the basics of most of them.
B)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1