11 Replies - 1445 Views - Last Post: 19 September 2002 - 07:22 AM

• <title>Untitled Document</title>

• View blog

What The Hell Is The Problem With These Systems?!?

Posted 18 September 2002 - 12:21 PM

Okay, here's the setup.

Three computers. We'll call them T, G, and A.

G and T can browse, copy, view A's files without any trouble.

G and A can browse, copy, view T's files without any trouble.

A can browse, copy, view G's files without problems, but

T can look inside a shared folder, but when T clicks on a file that's on G, T reboots or freezes instantly.

A and T are both connected via cat5 cable
G is connected with coax

Everything used to work fine

T has had a virus in teh past, but everything worked fine for weeks after I removed the virus

I'm stumped

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What The Hell Is The Problem With These Systems?!?

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What The Hell Is The Problem With These Systems?!?

Posted 18 September 2002 - 12:48 PM

what operating systems are you using and did you change anything before this didnt happen. I am assuming a Peer to peer network.

and you may want to swap the BNC ethernet card for a 10/100 base t just to keep everyting on the same wiring
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2002 - 01:01 PM

They're all windows 98, upgraded from windows 95.

I agree- thinking about switching the nic and cable...

but if the cable was the problem, then accounting shouldn't be able to access G either.......?

oh, and nothing changed.....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2002 - 01:20 PM

Hmm that is odd indeed are they all using the same work group with the same spelling/capatalization, are You using a static or dynamic IP address, If Dynamic you may want to try and type in win ip config ensure that the workstations are all using different Ip addresses if there are simalar Ip addresses release each ip and shut down the computer and one by one power them back up waiting for each computer to fully boot before booting the next one
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2002 - 01:27 PM

static ips. every computer sees the others fine, but T can't access files (you can view a share) that are on G.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2002 - 01:38 PM

You really do have a bizaree setup... but you should be running cat5 to all systems, using nics that at least have cat 5 :D Also,os makes a huge diffrence in setup, some things are extremly difficult to set up between systems. In terms of file sharing problems, check the sharing properites for your drives (and folders) on the systems you are unable to browse, for if they are not shared no one can access the information... as well if you have "other network user can not change/edit my files" checked, no manipulation other than copy can be done. In terms of the crashing, i'd clear your stacks, start from scratch. Also, wouldn't hurt to through them all on dynamic, assuming you can just use the ipx protocol for gaming (if you need ip... you can always check it :D) Other than that, might wnat to list the os's and other hardware your using (hub, switch, router?).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 18 September 2002 - 01:46 PM

make sure there are no firewalls or anything , i had two computers that saw eachother but couldnt do jack with eachother , turns out my zone alarm was conflicting , even though it said Network firewall was off , they would not work together .. Also i agree that you should run Cat 5 to everything , have it all hooked into one hub , Keep it Simple , and thats good your running the same OS on all the computers , makes it a little easier ... when my network screws up and i get stuck like that , i tare it apart and start from square 1 , becuase thats the only way i can ever get it all going again ... :alien:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2002 - 09:24 PM

I guess you didn't read my post carefully...

When T looks at G's files, T reboots.

I can see all computers and all shares, and all the shares on T and G work when accessing them with A.

The same coax and cat5 setup worked for weeks and weeks. I'm beginning to think it's a corrupted windows setup on T, because I've already reinstalled the nic drivers multiple times on both G and T.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• nooneenooneenooonee
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2002 - 09:42 PM

I tend to think you're on the right track and say that it sounds mostlikely to be a software problem. Did you Upgrade from win95 or install win 98? You might have a corrupt winsock, file sharing or any number of components... Fist thing I would do is disable the network connection you are using and make a new fresh one, if that doesn't work you might want to think about reinstalling on T.

You don't happen to have fluke network inspector, visio or something do you? they can really sove some problems sometimes with configuration problems. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2002 - 09:48 PM

I've already reinstalled the nic drivers, like I said... I know that windows xp has "network connections,"
but the closest thing to that in win98, if I'm thinking right, are the dial-up connections...

unless you mean the different protocols you can configure in "Network Neighborhood" properties, in which case I've already done this...

It's definitely not a config problem... I've been through every setting, comparing them to the other computers that work.... everything's perfect...

It's static ips... it's staying that way... (yes I know that a dynamic configuration can be better)

Do you think that a reinstall of windows over itself might fix this?

Formatting that computer isn't really an option...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2002 - 05:15 AM

If scrubbing the machine isn't possible, I'd say set a large portion of your time aside and start comparing files between T and the two that work fine. I would think that T having a virus at one point may have corrupted a file or two, it just took time to create a problem. Small system changes, even in regular use, over time can make corrupt files, that weren't a problem before-hand, become a nightmare.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2002 - 07:22 AM

you may want to back up the important stuff off of t to a just incase that you need to blow it away and start fresh
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1