uhh... i'm not sure where this would go

• (3 Pages)
  • +

40 Replies - 3493 Views - Last Post: 08 November 2002 - 09:30 PM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Computer Problems

Posted 18 September 2002 - 03:21 PM

Ok, i'm not sure where this would go, since it wouldn't belong i the Hardware Lounge or the OS Lounge... so Admins/Mods/Team members, please move it appropriately.
now to the point...
i've been having big problems w/ my computer. it started about 3 months ago, when a norton alert popped up saying that Windows Explorer was trying to access the internet... not Internet Explorer, but Windows Explorer. from there i have problems, like random restarts, blue screens (some of which say windows protection error... which can't be good), and other things of that sourt. I also have problems when i'm online (Compuserve, yea it sucks, but we got a free computer when we signed up for 2 years), it'll stop displaying the windows, and will say 'action cancled' or 'no page to display'. after a while i just got fed up, and busted out the recovery disks that came w/ the computer. so i format, and when i install norton internet security, it pops back up saying that Windows Explorer is trying to access the internet. I hadn't had problems like this prior to when it started (3 months ago). so i format again, and it pops up. i go in and delete the primary partician, and create new ones, and it still pops up. and i formatt, and it goes on. all in all, i end up formatting 7 or 8 times.

It would be no problem, except for the fact that it'll mess up my internet connection, and the occasional blue screen. i've messed w/ it till i was blue in the face, and no luck. Its probably something simple that i'm overlooking. I should mention that i was using Grokster when this happened, so the virus could have come from there (if it even is a virus). Or it could be a problem w/ the recovery disks.

I've taken it by Best Buy (where i got it), and the clowns didnt' help at all, they just told me to disable Norton Internet Security. I've also talked with other ppl about it, and no luck. Any help that you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone that replies. Oh, and its not like i'm mr. hardware, i just know enough to get me by, so please don't belittle me. If i'm not being clear on anything , just say so, and i'll clarify.

Oh, and i dont' know if this is important, but its an HP Pavilion, and i'm running Windows ME (yea, i know, i need to upgrade to XP).

Again, thanks to anyone that helps me out. :ph34r:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer Problems

• Check, check, 1, 2.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer Problems

Posted 18 September 2002 - 03:48 PM

Well, this isn't the right place, this post has nothing to do with boobs so I'm gonna move it. We'll see where it lands. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2002 - 04:54 PM

thanks Neoracle.... but anyone got any ideas whats wrong? :ph34r:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Go Leafs

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2002 - 06:52 PM

Michael87, on Sep 18 2002, 07:54 PM, said:

thanks Neoracle.... but anyone got any ideas whats wrong? :ph34r:

yes

why dont u try letting windows explorer access the internet

new xp computers come with MSN explorer browser allready installed which may be windows explorer..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2002 - 08:12 PM

i have... its not like i block it. i did at first, but recently i've been lettin it go through, and i've still had problems :( :ph34r:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Go Leafs

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2002 - 08:34 PM

Michael87, on Sep 18 2002, 11:12 PM, said:

i have... its not like i block it. i did at first, but recently i've been lettin it go through, and i've still had problems :( :ph34r:

i donno
buy a new hard-drive then
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 19 September 2002 - 05:09 AM

After format are you doing a clean install or using one of those shitty recovery disks?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2002 - 07:48 AM

Ben: i recently purchased an 80gb harddrive (a while after the problem started)
Slash: my hp pavilion came preloaded w/ ME, so i have recovery disks

i was talking to jason (VxJasonxV), and he thinks it could be a hardware problem... but i don't see how that could be... i mean, its not like i leave the case open at night and let moths fly into it :huh: i didn't do any work on it at the time it started, like installing new hardware.

oh, something that might be relevant (sp?)... my bro has exactically the same system as me (minus the 80 gb harddrive), and he hasn't had half the problems i have.

thanks to anyone that helps :ph34r:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2002 - 08:17 AM

This sounds more like a software problem than a hardware problem. I would look at the last few programs you installed/downloaded and try to determine which would try to access in the internet. Also, see what in your start up would want to access the 'net. It may be something as simple as NAV itself trying to do an automatic update and running into a conflict. First thing I would do is use MSCONFIG and start working backwards by turning off start up programs until it stops. The process of elimination is tedious, but works quite often.

Or, just hang tight till Vetrious responds and don't touch nothing yet...hehe.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Microsoft.Whore

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2002 - 10:49 AM

alrighty... i don't see much problem with Explorer accessing the internet. hell, Explorer.exe and Iexplore are essentially the same program with differing GUIs. i'm sure you know you can type in web addresses in Explorer and connect to a site... same with IE you can type in C: or simply My Computer and poof, you're there. i think best buy had the easiest solution. remove Norton Internet security. what the hell does it do anyway? are you on cable? are you on any other form internet connection that would be conducive to becoming a hacker's target? what's wrong with simply anti virus? i use anti virus... only anti virus. i loaded on system works to use its defragmenter... but when i ran windoctor and it told me i had 60+ registry errors on a clean install of XP... i was all... sha! right! chris has his firewall that alerts him of just about any random packet leaving his system... well, i like my stuff just to work and not be bothered by such annoyances.
now, that i'm off that, let's get down to business. Windows Protection Error... look them up on technet: support.microsoft.com. ask around and you'll find that protection errors are most common on Millenium Edition. most times there's easy fixes for them, but if you're even 75% sure your discs aren't defective, the only thing you have left to t-shoot is hardware. hardware just fails. there's no two ways about it. i don't care if you had your PC a week, or 4 years... stuff just dies. you could be pudding your way around the internet and your maching freezes and you hear this nasty heart-wrenching click-click... click-click of a HDD that just pooped out for no known reason.
usually when you get errors, there will be a reason for them. try booting the computer up in step-by-step confirmation. or booting it into safe-mode and running it like that for a few hours. now, no drivers load in SM, so you can't use the internet... but your apps should all run. run it like that for a while... especially if you get these errors randomly. if you still get the errors then you know its hardware. you're formatted enough times to rule out a windows problem. it could be a driver, but factory drivers are usually weak and pretty solid.
next, i'd try another version of windows. 2000 will just flat out give you a "screw you" if it encounters a bad piece of hardware. its also better at telling you exactly what is wrong. you can also try 98. find yourself an evaluation copy just so you can convince yourself your hardware has failed. these tests are also far and above what best buy would do for you. you can tell them what you've done to try to diagnose the issue. it is also good to know that you can prove to them that you can reproduce the problem. keep a log of what you're doing and what programs are running when the problems occur.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 19 September 2002 - 12:08 PM

Should there not be some concern here that Explorer is trying to access the internet with out being asked to do so by the user. To me this seems a bit odd.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Microsoft.Whore

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2002 - 12:55 PM

system update access without a direct user request. more than likely it is something that is set up. perhaps by a program he's installing each time. if he's using recovery disks who knows what BS is getting installed and wants a connection. and since explorer is the shell, just about anything that makes a request through explorer for internet will come up as explorer. how many times have we all gotten X caused an invalid page fault in module explorer.exe? without out intentionally invoking explorer? oh, wait... unless you're using something like LiteStep as your shell you're pretty much always invoking explorer...
my concern comes from the stupid error that would be popping up first. what was actually being accessed second. but this is just me... i'm often wrong.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2002 - 01:06 PM

Doesn't Michael87 live in Rio Rancho?!

We might be able to help you out a little more since you are a local :)

Gimme a call sometime after about 5:30 today Mike: 319-0354
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2002 - 02:45 PM

ok, i don't think it would be any other program i installed before, cause i installed Norton first, and thats all i put on it (besides compuserve... sucky, i know)

Vetritus03: i use norton internet security just cause thats what we got. our norton antivirus was like 5 years old, so we just upgraded, and hell, why not get a firewall also? (i don't have a cable connection btw... 56k)

(i dont' recall who said it...) but i've restored before, and explorer hasn't done that, so i don't see how it can be something the recovery disk is puttin on there

Vetritus03:... again i'll go up on support.microsoft.com and look up the windows protection error... thanks for the suggestion. u say run it in safe mode or a step by step boot up (please explain, like i said, i'm not mr. hardware), and if it can't access the internet, whats the point in doing it? cause the problems only happen when i'm online. (my hd doesn't make clicky sounds btw)
i might try installing another version of windows, like u said, but i can't do it atm.

Chris: thanks for the offer man, but i can't really call u up now... i'm pretty sick w/ a head cold and a horrid sore throat, so i can't talk without it feeling like there's a chainsaw massacre in my throat. but if u don't mind, i'll call u up when i get better.

if i find anything @ support.microsoft.com, then i'll post it (and if there are any comments i falied to address, or didnt' see, please tell me). thanks ppl :ph34r:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• nooneenooneenooonee
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2002 - 02:50 PM

SlashRaid, on Sep 19 2002, 12:08 PM, said:

Should there not be some concern here that Explorer is trying to access the internet with out being asked to do so by the user. To me this seems a bit odd.

Yeah I have to agree with vertritrus on this one, there are many apps that connect under the guise exprorer. active desktop, windows alert, windows update windows XP has the activation check ups.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +