7 Replies - 1286 Views - Last Post: 20 September 2002 - 04:54 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Any Advice Hugely Appreciated!

Posted 19 September 2002 - 04:15 PM

I run a small advertising agency. We're trying to do an in-house redesign of our site: http://www.almedanet.com

We just put the site on the web today (19 Sept 02). My graphic designer's a photoshop and quark whiz, but a bit of a novice using web design applications.

We did this mostly in Dreamweaver 4 for Mac OS. I'm noticing some weird spacing and text appearance when I view it using IE on a PC (everything looked ok using IE for Mac OS on the machine - a Mac G4 - we used for the design itself).

Any thoughts or constructive criticism are very welcome. Is this even the correct forum for such feedback?

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Any Advice Hugely Appreciated!

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Any Advice Hugely Appreciated!

Posted 19 September 2002 - 04:54 PM

ok, the layout is good but i have a few vices:

1) the little 'a' in the upper left hand corner on the home page needs not be as huge of graphic that it is

2) why are you using a flash menu? the words are blury and you could just as easily do the same thing in html by changing the colors of link, alink, and vlink

3) your copyright at the bottom of the page should be the same font as everything else

4) on your solutions page you have a little \ above the line 'Building employment...'

5) and just out of curiousity, why did you not keep the 'a' that's on the front page, on the rest of the pages
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• w3c fanatic

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2002 - 06:37 PM

It looks good but everything needs to be rearranged, y'know? I like the colors, picture, logos, etc. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2002 - 10:44 PM

I think I would put the menu items at the bottom into the red bar at the top. That would make it easier to browse through the pages. Currently, without my browser maximized, I have to scroll down every time I want to go to a new page.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 20 September 2002 - 04:53 AM

hi there,

here goes [pointwise]
a> the graphic is techically incorrect.
::::there is a shadow on the farther cylinder while there's none on the nearer one.

b> like fyrestorm correctly pointed out. the menu needn't be in flash. coz your current menu does not involve anything thats making use of any of flash's capabilities. if you want it to look the same i suggest you make 'gifs'. they're lighter and the internet surfer needn't bother having a flash player.

c> there is too much whitespace. a bit of re-arrangement can do wonders. else the graphic or content should merit the whitespace - by means of concept or idea[which is not the case currently.]

d> readability of text on the menu is poor

e> too many types of fonts not advisable. i second fyrestorm here.

f> you can also post on www.were-here.com

g> yup the 'A' factor can be an underlying statement in subsequent pages.

good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• boots.

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2002 - 02:20 PM

love it :) perhaps a little more on the upper left? it seems like there's a graphic that isnt loading, but after checking, it's all there.

think of something for that and its aces :)

:pirate:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• nooneenooneenooonee
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2002 - 03:20 PM

Fist off you guys are crazy there is NO flash on the page.

Now for a critique: I really like the design and layout of all the pages except the home page. you need to do something to fill the white spact under the 'A' and left of the description, maybe just add a light gray background or something...

That is a nice looking site though, good job.

Cheers Sam
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2002 - 04:54 PM

Thanks to all for your insights. We're implementing many of your ideas. One question from some real greenhorns: is there any trick to getting an MPEG clip to "honor" one's default media file settings? I use Windows Media Player as my default, but for some reason, when I visit the site and click on the cable tv clip (an MPEG file) it opens in QuickTime (not my default setting). When I un-installed QuickTime and tried the same thing, it opened with WMP. We're using Dreamweaver v.4 in Mac OS 9.something to design the site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1