What is the bare minimum?

Page 1 of 1

9 Replies - 1731 Views - Last Post: 17 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Basic Expectations of a Developer

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:39 PM

Hello everyone!

I would like to get some fellow developers opinion about something. What is the basic requirement you would expect from another developer that becomes your team-mate on a project?

I ask because I have a slight problem with one of mine. Not really a problem..a concern and I am not sure what exactly to do.

Here is a list of basic things I would expect any developer would know how to do..I mean mere basics.

1. How to share a folder on a computer and access it from another
2. Install an application
3. Know what I mean when I say 'Update your references' when she comes to me and says 'I get error, you know why?'
4. Answer her own question when she asks 'VS is givin me error. You know what thats about?'
5. Know the difference between downloading and installing.
6. Know what an .iso file is and how to use it.

Ok, I can think of about 5 more that has come up within the last few days. I must confess I am concerned because we are starting a very complex project that we both were contracted into. I fear I will not only be working deligently to do my portion, but I will also have to do hers. If she can't grasp the simple tasks of windows, how can we expect her to program in one?

Again, I mean no disrespect for her. She claims to have been programming for about 5 years and all over the US.

How would you guys handle it? Would you be as concerned and would you mention it?

Thanks.

UnSkiLd

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Basic Expectations of a Developer

#2 Guest_Whizzy*

Re: Basic Expectations of a Developer

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

Well, since you asked, no offense now...

But shouldn't you have been asking these questions before you allowed yourself to get contracted in this project? The first red flag of failure is the lack of faith in ones partner. This is what I suggest you do.

1st. Cowboy up. Look at yourself in the mirror, and tell yourself, I have to do this.

2nd. Call "her" into a room, stairway, closet, anywhere you can have some privacy, and tell her you need to talk to her.

3rd. Lay out your project from start to finish. Task by task, and ask her to pick the ones she is POSITIVE she can handle. Explain to her you will not be able to help her with the tasks she picks, and to choose carefully. This allows her to think she is important to the project, and allows you to see where you are going to stand from the jump. Depending on her picks, and your deadline, talk about bringing in a third programmer.

4th. Divide the rest of the tasks fairly, and bite the bullet. If you are under contract, you have to push it through. If you end up doing 80% of the work, then you should get 80% of the pay. It's to late to question her abilities, or bitch about the lack there of. All you can do now is push forward, and be more careful in the future. Remember, she may end up taking credit for some of your work, but that's ok.. that's fine... your goal is to complete the project, and keep your reputation in tact.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:46 PM

The items you have listed are general computer usage examples. I wouldn't necesarrily expect a developer to know those.

1. How to share a folder on a computer and access it from another
2. Install an application
3. Know what I mean when I say 'Update your references' when she comes to me and says 'I get error, you know why?'
4. Answer her own question when she asks 'VS is givin me error. You know what thats about?'
5. Know the difference between downloading and installing.
6. Know what an .iso file is and how to use it.

1.) a Unix developer doesn't use "Folders".
2.) Usually this is a job for the group that administers the computers. Any place I have worked that has decent security does not allow developers to install apps. This prevents the paperworkers from knowing how many licences that they have left, as well as an entire list of arguments about internet apps being downloaded.
4.) wtf is VS? I'm guessing that you mean Visual Studios.
5.) This one is very basic.
6.) Define "use" it.

My bottom line expectations of a developer would be to know the difference between a compiled language & an interpreted one. Also the knowledge of Linked Libraries, & the basics of program execution.

The reason that I give you my examples is because, again, the items you have listed are very general computer usage expectations. Any place that I've worked at has most of these items you have listed prepared for the developers. There job is not to upkeep the usability of the machine, or to make alterations to how the machine works with other machines, but to develop software. Anything above the job duties are handled by the appropriate departments within the company.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:13 AM

No2Pencil I disagree a bit with the installing thing. Sure, there are applications that need licenses such as Office and so on. Those should be installed by the system administrators. However developers need lots of (free) tools, sometimes they have to evaluate several ones before they find the right one, and in those cases it can really hurt productivity if they have to run to a sysadmin to get them installed. So some autonomity is a must.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:00 AM

Btw, is she called Paula?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:36 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice.

1lacca, no her name isn't Paula hehe. And your response to No2Pencil is exactly our situation. Were responsible for installing developer tools that would be used on this project. In our case it's Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition, Oracle and a few third party controls.

Whizzy, no offense taken, however just so your clear we are both contractors and I had no say in who they brought in along side of me. We were blinded coming into this project as to what exactly we would be doing. However, I do understand where your coming from and my have to put into action item #2.

As for cowboying up..I agree. I'm probably going to end up doing 90% of the work. Such is life.

No2Pencil, I know I made this pretty vague, but as a developer, even in the general sense, you should still have the skills it takes to install an application (especially your programming environment) and if an error occurs while loading a project you should be able to know what is causing it and know how to fix it.

Also No2, you are exactly right, The items you have listed are general computer usage examples. If a developer (Especially in windows) cannot grasp basic concepts of how to do it..how on earth are you going to build a program utilizing these things?

Thanks again for the replies and advice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2008 - 04:11 PM

View Post1lacca, on 16 May, 2008 - 07:00 AM, said:

Thanks for that. It made my day. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:06 PM

View Post1lacca, on 16 May, 2008 - 06:00 AM, said:

thats funny.. yet sad that it actually happens...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2008 - 06:35 PM

I think the one most important skill I would be looking for in a partner is, like you said, the ability to answer their own basic questions.

99% of the programming questions I'm asked by "fellow programmers" can be answered in a few seconds by a well frased google search.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

I think I know the girl you're working with ;)

I think we all do :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1