13 Replies - 7977 Views - Last Post: 23 May 2011 - 09:39 AM

Poll: VB6 or VB.NET (19 member(s) have cast votes)

VB6 or VB.NET

1. VB6 (4 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

2. VB.NET (15 votes [78.95%])

Percentage of vote: 78.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

VB6 or VB.NET

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:10 PM

Which do you think is better and why?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: VB6 or VB.NET

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: VB6 or VB.NET

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:18 PM

VB.NET because it is an object oriented language (although C# is my preferred language). OOP is the only way to go in todays programming paradigm.

VB6 is a thing of the past that won't exist much longer.

Visual Basic 6.0 will no longer be supported starting March 2008.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:56 PM

I prefer VB.NET as I like the .NET framework, and also like OOP. I hate VB6 to be quite frank.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:26 PM

I started programming with BASIC when I was 10.

I learned Turbo BASIC at the age of 11 and then QBASIC at the age of 12.

I used VB 6.0 when I was 15.

At the age of 18, I am already using VB.NET 2003.

Then, I shifted to 2008 at 19.

Now at 20, I am learning C#.NET, ASP.NET, ADO.NET, and LINQ.

If asked of what I like better between using VB 6.0 and VB.NET, then I'll definitely say its VB.NET. With it being object-oriented and having more advanced features, it's definitely better to use.

But I do not necessarily dislike VB 6.0. It was actually the reason I decided to be a programmer. When I was taking up BASIC, Turbo BASIC and QBASIC, I really didn't appreciate programming much. Or maybe it's just because I was too young back then? Or maybe because I do not really have competent teachers back then?

They taught us MS-DOS and programming before they taught us how to type with MSWord.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

Well, each language has its perks. Sadly, MS is supposidly poised to kill off VB6, and I could never get my installation to work on Vista =( But, VB6 had the power to actually use bitblt with direct access to a window's DC. That's just something .NET will never have, as that Microsoft wants to push the XNA framework for future graphics projects.

But at a similar angle, .NET has an extensively massive framework that allows for tons of versatility when it comes to non-2D graphics related projects, and it's supported in future windows releases and even linux and mac.

This post has been edited by NotarySojac: 21 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

View PostNotarySojac, on 21 May 2011 - 01:16 PM, said:

... supported in future windows releases and even linux and mac.

Not in Mac OSX and Linux. .NET is composed of .dll's, which are Window's specific. The only way to get .NET to Linux/Mac is through WINE or Mono.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:25 PM

VB.NET would the lesser of the two evils. VB6 has long since been pronounced dead (literally), and there aren't many (or really any) reasons to learn it anymore. .NET is the future of Windows, so if you're into that, you definitely want to know a .NET language or two (or three).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:59 PM

View Postheyoman1, on 22 May 2011 - 12:00 PM, said:

View PostNotarySojac, on 21 May 2011 - 01:16 PM, said:

... supported in future windows releases and even linux and mac.

Not in Mac OSX and Linux. .NET is composed of .dll's, which are Window's specific. The only way to get .NET to Linux/Mac is through WINE or Mono.

Right, I only meant that the .NET framework has, for the most part, been mirrored by mono and thus the VB language can be used in future versions of windows and linux/mac. Sometimes I forget whether the title says just the syntax, or both the syntax and the framework.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:42 AM

It's not really a question of better, just relevant. VB.NET is a modern language fully supported by the company that produces it. VB6 is not.

VB6 has a loyal following of people living in the past. So do any number of necrophiliac technologies. If you want to work with computers, but can't adapt to change, you need to find another field. Period.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:35 AM

We've had a huge thread discussing why people still use VB6.

It seems that a lot of them think VB.NET is "harder." I find that a poor excuse, but then again, many of those people are poor excuses for programmers. Any programmer worth his salt should be able to suck it up and learn another language, especially one so similar to one he already knows.

Many people find the transition difficult because in some ways they're very similar, but in some ways, very different. That can be problematic, trying to unlearn expected and conditioned behavior. In the long run, it's worth it. VB.NET has many, many years of support and updates ahead of it. VB6 hasn't been updated for more than 10 years, and won't ever be. VB.NET gives you access to all sorts of project types: console, forms, wpf, web forms, web mvc, web service, windows service, WCF, silverlight, etc...VB6 is relatively limited in comparison. And will never again be updated. VB.NET gets new stuff every few years.

A lot of people don't like the concept of namespaces. A common complaint is "I can't find the function I'm looking for." Well, it's a different mindset. Instead of dumping all the tools and functions into one unorganized pile, they sorted them into objects, and those into namespaces, and those into higher namespaces, etc...until it was all neatly organized. It's different, for sure, but it's very organized, and once you learn your way around the Framework, it's second nature.

A lot of people think that there's some huge overhead with the .NET framework. Even though it is installed by default on every new windows install, and I believe it comes with SP3 for XP. So the overhead is already installed. As for performance...of course, there's always going to be a difference between native and interpreted languages, but with advances to the JIT, it's a very close race these days. Plus, I doubt very much that you really need those few extra cycles that you could squeeze out for most of the applications being written in VB6. Most, not all, but most.

I think, if you're learning now, there's absolutely no reason to learn VB6. With the possible exception being that your current employer wants you to modify/update an existing VB6 application. Other than that, it's just not worth it. The skill isn't nearly as marketable as .NET is. If you're really good, you might be able to find jobs working on legacy applications, but to me that's not very exciting.

IMO, VB6 is going to become another COBOL. Something so deeply embedded that it'll never vanish entirely, even though it'll be taught in schools less and less.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#11 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:21 AM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 23 May 2011 - 11:35 AM, said:

VB6 is going to become another COBOL.

Fixed that for you. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

The difference is, COBOL is still actively updated.

Assuming, of course, you install the updates, which as I understand is relatively rare. The kind of environments that use COBOL are the kind that people usually prefer the stability (and knowledge of bugs and workarounds) of older releases to the features and fixes of the cutting edge.

This post has been edited by Curtis Rutland: 23 May 2011 - 09:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:36 AM

Point. But, to be fair, so is VB after a fashion: http://msdn.microsof...vbasic/ms788708

Microsoft's official VB6 page reads a little like a 12 step program. How to break your addiction to old code.

COBOL literature from the big guys like IBM often reads the same way. Though, they don't come out and call such customers fossilized Luddites because, hey, they pay the bills. Which, of course, is the same reason Microsoft hasn't been able to fully kill VB6.

Mainframes are often very cargo cultish. You don't update them, you don't turn them off, you don't offend the ancient magnetic gods lest they mysteriously stop working and no priest of the arcana can be found to make the proper sacrifice.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:39 AM

We have far more COBOL programmers than windows programmers here at my company. I work for a credit union. You're very close to accurate about the attitude of the mainframe guys. Except we do turn ours off. We IPL it every week. But I think they sacrifice a goat just before to make sure that it comes back. As to updating...yeah, no stories while I'm using my real name.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1