• (3 Pages)
  • +

31 Replies - 970 Views - Last Post: 23 September 2002 - 03:39 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Rant, Thread about Music

Posted 20 September 2002 - 10:38 PM

How come every heavy sounding artist has at least one video related to some kinda mini-concert. Its over done- sorry.

Right now im watching a video from "The Vines" and cannot see ANY reason why someone could enjoy this type of music. It's just plain stupid.

Anyways, just wanted to get that out. I'll probablly want to add more later, but ive gone to bed ;)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Rant, Thread about Music

• Information Designer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Rant, Thread about Music

Posted 20 September 2002 - 10:47 PM

That's how I feel with Rap.

How on earth could anyone enjoy 120 cuss words non-cleverly strung together put to a speaker-ripping plethera of poorly written drumlines?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2002 - 10:54 PM

Ekostudios, on Sep 21 2002, 01:47 AM, said:

That's how I feel with Rap.

How on earth could anyone enjoy 120 cuss words non-cleverly strung together put to a speaker-ripping plethera of poorly written drumlines?

Hmm, I can take Tupac for an example and make your statment unreasonable.

His words have a very strong meaning- in most cases. The problem is that there are to many lamers who ruined the image of true Rap.

Even EMINEMS new Cd is filled with meaningful lyrics- and I can assure a lot of people don't realize it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Information Designer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2002 - 11:03 PM

lyrics are half of a song, don't forget the crap behind the lyrics.

Tupac died because he was a gangster. I have no sympathy for him.

Eminem has written enough bad songs to go beyond counteracting his fairly decent ones.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2002 - 11:13 PM

I wouldn't say they are bad.

The way artists express their feelings is through lyrics. Eminem obviouslly had a frustrating childhood. And you develop a story behind his whole life by listening to his songs.

Its not just 'yo yo yo I killed my mom, yo yo yo fuck this fuck that'- as most people tend to think
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Information Designer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2002 - 11:33 PM

90% of rap is: fuck my bitch ho mama scank in the shit trash fuck fuck. The rest is just poorly written. I bet over half of eminems 'bad-childhood' songs are made up, and the rest are exagerated.
Now, listen to good hip-hop such as Deltron3030, and you have a good artist. Rad beats, lyrics with a THEME, and oh wow! sometimes even a MEANING.

I would say that lyrics requiring cursing to display these 'emotions' are poorly written. Ever listen to radiohead? They cover SO MANY TOPICS in their songs, and rarely use a curse word, and if so, in context. Instead of fuck this fuck that to vent and display emotion, they use metaphors and themes, and make the music's mood match the mood of the lyrics.

I cannot relate to one single rap song.
I can relate to some (good) hiphop
And I can definitly relate to most talented singer/songwriters who can use 'advanced' techniques we learn in HIGHSCHOOL such as metaphors and themes.

I find rap music to be blatent, and poorly written so that the deaf and dumb pop culture of today can relate to it without having to use their laxly-exercized brain-cells. I find music extremly more entertaining when it chalenges the mind to comprehend the writers intentions, while feeling the theme via song mood and tempo. When I listen to music, I get in a 'vibe' in which i can focus on the song, and enjoy it to it's full extent. You know what ends a good trained-thought vibe? "fuck my mama, fuck bitch cunt *fake word here* nigger" AKA, uneducated shit that my 12 year old little brother could write.

I'm done ranting for today, I'm getting sleep now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2002 - 07:49 AM

(Im taking Eminem for example because he is a usuall target for flaming)

I'd say 90% of his lyrics have a , oh wow, Meaning, and not just 'fuck you, Ill beat you up bitch'

Go look at his website and check the discography.

Who determines what is BAD words, and GOOD words in a song. You can't say he has stupid music just cause he cusses. That's what partially titles it RAP.
Personally RAP isnt my favourite gender of music, but a lot of people do infact have to realize its MORE then just friggen useless lyrics
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Check, check, 1, 2.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2002 - 10:54 AM

Sorry, but that fact that eminem can't express himself without saying fuck puts his intelligence level below mine. Plus, he doesn't make his own beats, plus he's a biggot.

I fail to see the reason to worship him.

Meaning or no meaning, the man is a dimwitted, overhyped, flash in the pan, that has 0, zip, nadda, musical talent.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I liek milk!!1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2002 - 11:34 AM

I like Blindside's 'pitiful' music video.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• What?!

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2002 - 11:43 AM

And the fact Eminem is always wining about Moby makes him even more stupid. Moby at least makes his own MUSIC.

Koenie
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2002 - 11:56 AM

Koenie, on Sep 21 2002, 02:43 PM, said:

And the fact Eminem is always wining about Moby makes him even more stupid. Moby at least makes his own MUSIC.

Koenie

thats whats wrong with our society. People are way to one sided. OBVIOUSLLY you havnt heard how Moby has bashed eminem? Maybe you should investigate that. And no, this isn't BS, because ive seen the interviews myself.

I'd be pissed myself if someone said that Im trying to come out of my closet, and all I sing about is being gay. (relayed from a interview with moby)

Neoracle, swearing is a form of expression to exaggerate on a certain issue.
I can find over 1000 threads on theese forums that include swear words. Don't go ahead and say swearing is for people with lack of education because that is far from true.

Again, people come to conclusions WAY to fast. If you actually look at the words, I'd say a ratio of 45:1 there is a swear word, or even more. ( I just went to his lyrics and randomly picked a song)

As I said before, I personally do not favour RAP, however at least I can judge people by more then what the media potrays them to be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Information Designer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2002 - 12:13 PM

I'm agreeing with Neo on his point in full.

I think 45:1 is a bit high no? I mean take a thread here and do a word count, to curse word count. I bet you will get something a little closer to 1000:1

The fact is that Curse words are over used and don't carry the same 'fizzle-pop' taboo meanings that they do today. Using a curse word to "exaggerate on a certain issue" is a very weak form of expression. I find intellectualism much more effective. If you can cause the listener to hear the lyrics, relate to the metaphors, and use words to cause empathy, then you are a strong writer. I personaly cannot relate to "fuck *blank*" etc. I just find that crude and unintellegent.

The fact that he doesn't write the music as well doesn't help his status here.

And let me say that Eminem is of the top of his class for Rap 'artists' and that most are worse than him.

As for the media portrail: I don't use the media as a source of information. I actually hear the music, listen to the lyrics, and draw my own conclutions. You seem to be the one using the media to try to explain to me the conflicts between M&M and Moby. You are proof that persuasive writing in the media works effectively on even the smartest of people.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2002 - 12:30 PM

I didnt decide to say 45:1...
I randomly pointed my finger to a set of lyrics and thats what it came to.
Anyways, thats besides the point.

There is no fact that they are over used.. It may be included in with the lyrics, but it ISNT over used. thats just somthing we all have mis-understood.

If you put a nail through your foot, I HIGHLEY doubt you are going to say "Ouch, My foot has been struck by a rusty nail, I will need immediate attention". Most likely it will be 'shit or fuck'

I wouldnt say you have a weak vocabulary, because it matches with the scenario it occured in.

It's the same with Rap. In most cases, the storyline behind a rap song has a negative vibe. It's not talking about how beautiful the earth is. It's talking about past experiances that have happend in their childhood.

-- oh hell.. i gtg to work.. !!! (continued later)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Check, check, 1, 2.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2002 - 12:47 PM

So Eminem is as smart as a guy with a nail in his foot. I'll agree with that.

Quik, are you saying that every single artist that is criticlly aclaimed that doesn't use cuss words are just not trying to get strong emotions across?

Give me a break.

Eminem cusses and says what he says for shock value. Whoopty doo, that's SOOOOOOO hard. It's not too hard to offend people, (lemme go post in Site Check to prove it to you).

What's the ratio of cuss words to non in Beatles songs? What about Shakespear? Emily Dickenson?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• What?!

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2002 - 12:49 PM

The Neoracle, on Sep 21 2002, 09:47 PM, said:

So Eminem is as smart as a guy with a nail in his foot. I'll agree with that.

LOL ROFL LMAO :D

Koenie
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +