Page 1 of 1

Importing Oracle Dump File How to use the Oracle dump import utility to import a database schema

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:09 AM

Recently I was contracted by a client to work on a large Oracle database that was to be integrated with a PHP program he was revamping. When we began work, he gave me a database schema in the form of a dump (.dmp) file. This file was to be imported into Oracle, and would automatically load the tables, binds, triggers, data, etc. I did some scouring on the internet and finally came upon how to import the database.

To begin, place your .dmp file in your admin\XE\dpdump\ folder. I am running my server locally on my laptop, so this location is

C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\admin\XE\dpdump

This location may be different depending on where you installed oracle. I prefer to put my dump files in the dpdump folder so that I don't have to specify a directory when doing the import.

Next you should open up your command line utility and type the following command

impdp username/password dumpfile=FILENAME.DMP

The data pump import utility will begin running and outputting it's progress to the screen. It will generate your tables, triggers, binds, and fill the data in. Basically it will make an exact replication of the database it was exported from. After this is complete check your errors. If there were none, you're good to go!

Hopefully this tutorial helps you get through this task without having to scour the internet. Take care, and good luck with Oracle!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Importing Oracle Dump File

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:11 AM

hi,
its worth, but which user this dump will add to.
suppose i have 2-3 users in oracle, and i have dump and i want to import it to another user, then what will be the command line argument i need to pass.

View Postakozlik, on 22 May, 2008 - 09:09 AM, said:

Recently I was contracted by a client to work on a large Oracle database that was to be integrated with a PHP program he was revamping. When we began work, he gave me a database schema in the form of a dump (.dmp) file. This file was to be imported into Oracle, and would automatically load the tables, binds, triggers, data, etc. I did some scouring on the internet and finally came upon how to import the database.

To begin, place your .dmp file in your admin\XE\dpdump\ folder. I am running my server locally on my laptop, so this location is

This location may be different depending on where you installed oracle. I prefer to put my dump files in the dpdump folder so that I don't have to specify a directory when doing the import.

Next you should open up your command line utility and type the following command

The data pump import utility will begin running and outputting it's progress to the screen. It will generate your tables, triggers, binds, and fill the data in. Basically it will make an exact replication of the database it was exported from. After this is complete check your errors. If there were none, you're good to go!

Hopefully this tutorial helps you get through this task without having to scour the internet. Take care, and good luck with Oracle!

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:55 AM

First u should create user for making dump

i.e In oracle you should execute these commands:
create user filename identified by password;
grant all privileges, resource, update, modify to filename;

Then make all updation and creation of tables in the oracle.

To get dump file you should execute the command in command prompt;

C:\EXP filename/passwort to c:\filename.dmp

The contents of the tables in oracle are uploaded.

Now to import the table contents from one system to other oracle system you should type the below command in command prompt;

c:\imp filename/password fromuser=filename touser=newfilename path=c:\dumps\filename.dmp
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:30 AM

View Postakozlik, on 22 May 2008 - 09:09 AM, said:

i have EXPDAT.DMP file. i want to read its content. i want to convert it to mysql. after typing the command as given by u i am getting errors like " it may be a original export dump file" please help me.its urgent
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1