personal site check

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 1227 Views - Last Post: 26 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

on the skewer

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:09 AM

I'm thinking and wondering what I should or could do to make my site better (I rarely think of aught else, actually) and wondered if you would be so kind as to assist me. I'm a pretty patient guy and understand you guys are doing this as a kindness, so I won't bump the topic or freak out with waiting or anything like that.

As you make suggestions... well, actually I've not run into much criticism here that wasn't constructive or didn't have some manner of clear direction, so nevermind what I was going to say.

Thanks for the help in advance. I wish I could have you all check all of my sites, but I'll start with just this one:

my personal site

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: on the skewer

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: on the skewer

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:18 PM

I think it looks good. The vid is rather entertaining. The only thing bothering me is the pic across the top... it looks as if, at any moment, it might move and show me the inside of your nostril.... :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:20 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 23 May, 2008 - 10:18 PM, said:

I think it looks good. The vid is rather entertaining. The only thing bothering me is the pic across the top... it looks as if, at any moment, it might move and show me the inside of your nostril.... :P

lol. okay. will do something about the guy in the header ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:43 PM

View Postomoimasuyo, on 23 May, 2008 - 11:09 AM, said:

I'm thinking and wondering what I should or could do to make my site better (I rarely think of aught else, actually) and wondered if you would be so kind as to assist me. I'm a pretty patient guy and understand you guys are doing this as a kindness, so I won't bump the topic or freak out with waiting or anything like that.

As you make suggestions... well, actually I've not run into much criticism here that wasn't constructive or didn't have some manner of clear direction, so nevermind what I was going to say.

Thanks for the help in advance. I wish I could have you all check all of my sites, but I'll start with just this one:

my personal site

Well, I'll have to start by saying you do excellent graphical work! You know that, of course. On to the design...

Things I like:

1) General color scheme - good contrast between the orange/yellow text links on black background - easy for me to read (but, see further below)
2) Interesting concept with the video, I might only suggest not having it auto-play (there are still dial-up users out there, believe it or not!)
3) Your graphical work is so good you should incorporate more on this site. Maybe make a graphic for the top banner of yourself in the style of the ones on your "about me" page (I've gotta agree with the nostril comment!).
4) Interesting take on the job search aspect; I didn't immediately see a link for a resume, but instead you've got the languages you know (and years using them) as well as examples of your work. I'd be more apt to pay attention to that than I would to download another PDF resume to print out and forget about, so good work there. Just make sure your links open up in new tabs/windows - don't want potential employers getting too caught up in your work and not find their way back to you.

Possible improvements:

0) Bulk of the site text is in a mid-gray on a black background. Not too easy on the eyes if you're anywhere near a window with some glare. Perhaps lighten up the text a few shades for readability?
1) Links at the bottom of the page ("random site", "about me", "faq", "kudos") are medium-gray on black and are at the bottom of the page. I can see how they could be easily overlooked; in fact I did overlook them at first thinking they were one of those disclaimers that no one reads. Having them all in line with the ones on the top-right would be fine since they're all text links and you aren't really pressed for space. Perhaps just change the font color for those links so they show up better?
2) The "contact me" email form has the same color-scheme issue. I'm not sure where to click to get things going (no default cursor) and the black underlines on the black background don't help to line it off. I'd lighten up both the lines under the email and subject blanks as well as the gray text in general. I see why you did that - can't have all the text be yellow/orange or the links wouldn't stand out, but I'd suggest lightening the main gray text font color up a few shades. If you've got an office with a window on a sunny day the glare on one's screen might make that gray text disappear.
3) I'd add a little more to the title of your home page. Rather than just omoisite | home, perhaps something like: omoisite | web design | photos | poetry (or something along those lines).
4) Oh yeah, I haven't braved the "random site" link just yet. Is it a link to one of the sites you've done, at random? If so, it should somehow communicate that; maybe title it "My random site" or something. Don't forget that at least some of the audience for this site (potential employers) will be in corporate America where opening a "random site" might not be a great idea!

So take all that for what it's worth. I do think it's a solid design concept.

This post has been edited by bpb: 26 May 2008 - 04:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:28 PM

Agree, on the front page, the promise of nostril hair of doom is most disconcerting. ;) Your style sheets use absolute point sizes, which looked rather small on my side. Try playing with "em" or relative attributes, the pages I looked at didn't seem to require any kind of absolute positioning.

On this one ( http://omoisite.nyst...rojex/lostavos/ ), you have two large graphics at the top and then the same graphic nearly as large repeated underneath with a description next to it. The area with the description offers nowhere to click, only the larger header graphics. I don't really think the larger ones at the top are needed.

I block javascript by default. For that random link, and similar things, only make it visible if the client uses javascript. You can do this by having your script dynamically change the display attributes of elements. If those attributes don't change, then no javascript.

I'd save the flash video for the "about me". I block those by default, too. Some people take it badly when the first page they see starts streaming stuff at them. Your first page should probably be low bandwidth, saving the big guns for later. You only get to make that initial impression if they don't click away.

Decide your focus. If your goal is simply a collection of your stuff, your site's fine. If you're trying to sell yourself, be aware of how everything will impact a potential client. Your list of skills is honest, but it doesn't sell you. Be careful of exact numbers, people judge numbers harshly. Consider something like "With nearly a decade of web design experience, I'm skilled in many web technologies and am constantly adding to that portfolio. Standards compliant HTML. Style Sheets, AJAX, Graphics Design, I do it all." Does that sound a little arrogant? Good, you're selling yourself to your client.

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

@bpb: that has to be the best response to this sort of post I have seen in a long time. I love this site for all of the well thought out, constructive criticism it gives. especially from you right now. holy cow.

@baavgai: yeah. i'm trying to sell myself; i want the site to land me a job somehow. the hard thing there, however, is trying to present who i am in a way that sells me without presenting myself as something that i'm not. i hope that makes sense. i understand your point there.

i'll move the flash thing, guys. actually, i try to make most of my sites very dial-up friendly (aka few images, lots of text and css things, no flash if any although i want to learn more and make a site with it).

@baavgai: i'll have to take a look at lostavos; i've been meaning to redo it at some point anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1