help with starting files

I am making a program that starts embedded .gba files but am having so

Page 1 of 1

9 Replies - 1347 Views - Last Post: 27 May 2008 - 05:22 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

help with starting files

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:23 AM

I am making a program that i will use for everything basically from starting solitaire, to using the internet i made for it. I am stuck though on one part. I embedded several .gba files. I know how to start files that are not embedded by doing process.start("filepath/file"), but process.start do not work with the embedded file. I tried ever command I know that starts files, but since i added the file to the program i don't know how to start it i even tried the call command.

Private Sub ListBox1_DoubleClick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ListBox1.DoubleClick

If ListBox1.SelectedItem = "Super Mario Advance 3 - Yoshi's Island" Then process.start  ("0593 - Super Mario Advance 3 - Yoshi's Island (U).gba")
	End Sub

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: help with starting files

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: help with starting files

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:05 PM

Hi mw330,
first of all, you need to know that your .GBA file is not an executable file (I do not really need to explain what it is in reality, because you probably know).

What you would need to do is to start the program that handles those files (You sure know what it is too) and find a way to tell him what file to load via a parameter.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:41 PM

The .gba files are game files that are supported in a program called VisualBoyAdvance-SDL.exe. I have VisualBoyAdvance-SDL.exe added to the program too. The thing is though i don't know how to open the files through the program that supports it. (For example open 1.txt through notepad)

I have tried the following ways, but none of them worked:

Private Sub ListBox1_DoubleClick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles ListBox1.DoubleClick

If ListBox1.SelectedItem = "Super Mario Advance 3 - Yoshi's Island" Then Process.Start("VisualBoyAdvance-SDL.exe", "0593 - Super Mario Advance 3 - Yoshi's Island (U).gba")

If ListBox1.SelectedItem = "Super Mario Advance 3 - Yoshi's Island" Then Process.Start("VisualBoyAdvance-SDL.exe", '0593 - Super Mario Advance 3 - Yoshi's Island (U).gba')

If ListBox1.SelectedItem = "Super Mario Advance 3 - Yoshi's Island" Then Process.Start("VisualBoyAdvance-SDL.exe", "0593 - Super Mario Advance 3 - Yoshi's Island (U).gba)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:30 PM

I have not tested what I am about to say, but I don't think you can load embedded files from your application into an external application (in that case your emulator).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:20 PM

If I include the emulator into the application like the forms are , so that that it opens the emulator thats included into the application when I double click on the game. would it be possible then? The thing I don't know how to do is start a program that you included into the application. (for example if you add notepad into the application like the forms are).

If I include the emulator into the application like the forms are , so that that it opens the emulator thats included into the application when I double click on the game. would it be possible then? The thing I don't know how to do is start a program that you included into the application. (for example if you add notepad into the application like the forms are).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

sorry about the repeating paragraphs i don't know what happened to cause it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for your help. I figured out how to do it after, but now I am encountering a problem with the amount of data that can be stored in a program. Do anyone know how to increase the amount of data that can be stored in a file?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:19 PM

I am just being curious, how did you do it?

As for your question ,

Do anyone know how to increase the amount of data that can be stored in a file?

Isn't your file size limited by your hard drive size and filesystem?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:07 PM

I didn't tried, but one of my friend told its not possible to load embedded files from your application into an external application.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:22 PM

what i did was set the settings for copy to output. I was fooling around with the setting for a long time .

As for the file size i didn't think it was set by the hard drive because I have 23gb left and the program will only take 600mb. What it says is project storage full or something like that
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1