What I should study in?

Page 1 of 1

11 Replies - 1719 Views - Last Post: 30 May 2008 - 02:33 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What does the industry wants?

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:15 PM

Hi.
I am now attending college in computer science, in a programming division. In about a year, I will go to university to get a bachelor degree in computer science. However, the university I plan on going has 7 different division you can go into :
  • Internet and web application
  • Organisational system
  • Software Engineering
  • Multimedia and video games
  • Intelligent system
  • Electronic affair
  • Computer security

To be honest, I really don't know what I should study in. At college, we are more into desktop application than web application. It is hard to say which I like the most, due to my inexperience. I was wondering if you have any thoughts about this. What do you think would be a wise choice? What does the industry needs? (In 4-5 years :P).

Thank you for any comment.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What does the industry wants?

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What does the industry wants?

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:24 PM

Moving to Corner Cubicle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:35 PM

View Postkyrotomia, on 26 May, 2008 - 07:15 PM, said:

What does the industry needs? (In 4-5 years :P).

If I could predict that I would probably have a lot more money than I do now. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

Well, what about now then? In my opinion, i frequent a fairly "outdated" school in which the ressource can't really help me out on this topic. Most of my instructors have NO idea of what modern developement looks like and what is going on in the industry.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:01 AM

View Postkyrotomia, on 26 May, 2008 - 10:26 PM, said:

Well, what about now then? In my opinion, i frequent a fairly "outdated" school in which the ressource can't really help me out on this topic. Most of my instructors have NO idea of what modern developement looks like and what is going on in the industry.

Have you tried searching the internet for articles on it? I'm sure someone has written something on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:48 AM

Don't go into a field just because it is better pay, but go into a field because you love to do it. The IT industry pays pretty well no matter which field you go into so you might as well go for the one you enjoy doing. I mean obviously game programming and security are a tad bit different.

The fields typically in demand always in IT is software engineering, security, web apps, and gaming. However this is not to say the others aren't in demand as well. So pick the one you love to do and go with that. You will actually enjoy your classes, you will do well, and at the end you will not be like "What the hell have I gotten myself into?"

Besides if you are going to get a job after university you want to be working at a company that does what you like to do. For me I like programming, I specialize in software engineering and web apps. Personally I hate working with security related apps. Creating an antivirus program is not exactly something that I find entertaining.

Do what you love and once you are out in the industry awhile, you can always branch out into other things you like and follow the market.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:41 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 28 May, 2008 - 11:48 AM, said:

Don't go into a field just because it is better pay, but go into a field because you love to do it. The IT industry pays pretty well no matter which field you go into so you might as well go for the one you enjoy doing. I mean obviously game programming and security are a tad bit different.

The fields typically in demand always in IT is software engineering, security, web apps, and gaming. However this is not to say the others aren't in demand as well. So pick the one you love to do and go with that. You will actually enjoy your classes, you will do well, and at the end you will not be like "What the hell have I gotten myself into?"

Besides if you are going to get a job after university you want to be working at a company that does what you like to do. For me I like programming, I specialize in software engineering and web apps. Personally I hate working with security related apps. Creating an antivirus program is not exactly something that I find entertaining.

Do what you love and once you are out in the industry awhile, you can always branch out into other things you like and follow the market.

:)

Very well put! I couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately I know a lot of people who are trying to get into the computer field just because of the money and not because they like it.

A friends dad recently got a job as a programmer and he hates it, but it pays a lot better then his previous job that he liked, so he said he will deal with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:19 AM

When we had to choose our specialization for the Masters, the university organized a session where the divisions could advertise themselves (you might try to initiate something similar, just to see what you can expect, also it is a good idea to ask students who are already there, because you won't always see what you'd expect, also, check out the subjects they teach)

Finally there was a guy from a big company speaking at the aforementioned event, and he started something like this: "It doesn't matter what you choose now. You'll probably work in a completely different field in 3 years."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:05 PM

Like someone mentioned earlier, do what you have the most interest in. It is impossible to predict what will be "the hotness" in 5 years anyway.

Either way, the point of your degree is to get an overall feel for your field, by no means will it make you an expert in everything CS related. You will still have a lot to learn after graduation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:01 AM

Do what you like/love to do, be the best at it, and the money will follow.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for all your inputs. As for the "Go on with what you like", I am in a state where I have no idea what I like the most. Like I said before, I have very little experience but have enjoyed most of what I tried so far. And since I live in the middle of nowhere (yeah!), we don't get much "conference" or "advertising" for that kind of stuff.

Thank you!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:33 AM

Hi,

Just a quick addition, try sending a couple of e-mails to the lecturers of the university you have in mind. You should be able to find there detials on their website. Ask them if they have a breakdown of the modules or areas in their topic so you can see what they are going to teach. Read up on some of the topics that you don't know.

Might help a little with the decision.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1