Please tell me your experiences/understanding

Page 1 of 1

10 Replies - 10751 Views - Last Post: 11 August 2010 - 07:44 AM

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Has anyone used Day Communiqué?

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:03 PM

Our company has embraced Day Communiqué software as a content management system and I am stumped as to why. Going through the documentation and training manuals and using the clunky Communiqué Development Environment has left me with a really bad taste in my mouth about it. Can anyone tell me why you would want to use this product over an application container (e.g. JBoss)? Does the underlying JSR-170-compliant content repository make it somehow worth the pain? Any insight would be appreciated.

This post has been edited by Programmist: 30 May 2008 - 02:04 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Has anyone used Day Communiqué?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Has anyone used Day Communiqué?

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:15 AM

This product was designed, IMHO, for people with little to no web development background... basically, the people web developers support. These are the people who know what they want, and how it should look, but don't know what "markup" means. This tool lets the IT group give the job of content maintenance back to the people who used to request the maintenance. Now, IT can let these people do the easy work themselves. This allows IT to focus on value-added and/or strategic projects.

Just my $0.02
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:42 AM

Your absolutely right. The people who will be entering content will be reporters and writers for newspapers and tv stations (no programmers/web developers). My group's job is to create a content management system, based on Communique (aka CQ), that will allow input of content (by people from various news organizations) in a way that requires no understanding of underlying mechanisms. But, what I was saying in my last post was that CQ was clunky and painful to use and doesn't provide any advantages over using a J2EE application server to create a CMS. I still stand by that statement. I've also learned that CQ was developed on the assumption that that developers will use server side Javascript as the templating mechanism. I guess they realized that was a terrible idea and added support for JSPs, but still no MVC framework. So, basically, if you are unlucky enough to develop a solution using CQ, you will be forced into using JSPs combined beans, the way it was done before people started using Struts - circa 2000. CQ5 may provide some relief because it is based on Apache Sling and offers integration with Spring, which can provide an MVC framework. But, since it won't be released until Q1 next year (at the earliest) it doesn't help us much. The underlying JSR-170 compliant repository (CRX) is actually pretty cool and is what provides most of the benefit. It's based on Apache Jackrabbit if anyone wants to check it out. I guess I just don't understand why we didn't use CRX combined with a solid MVC web framework, but I was around yet during that discussion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:24 PM

I'm bumping this to say that Day Communique and the included CQ Development Environment are biggest steaming pile of...err...software that I have ever had the displeasure of working with. If anyone reading this is working for a company that is thinking of using this software, I urge you to run far away. I doubt anyone here is in that position, but maybe someone searching Google will find this and save themselves some headaches. I'm talking about Communique version 4.2. I can't speak about version 5 which has yet to be released, but if it is being developed by the same people then it will probably suck as well. I've listed in previous posts why it was not good, but now that I've had the chance to work on it personally I'm feeling the pain first hand. If you want specifics, feel free to contact me via this site. I will tell you exactly why you should never spend a cent on this software (unless, of course, you like pain).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

If you or anyone you know is considering working with Day Software, I would urge you to reconsider. It has been almost a year now and what they developed for us does not work. We are working feverishly to take what we have and make it work, but it's brittle, and non-standards-compliant, and developing on it is like constantly being poked in the eye. Frankly I'm not at all confident that it will work. But, if I'm wrong and it does work, it will be really fragile. It doesn't seem to take much to break it. For instance, JAR files in the JCR "repository" just spontaneously get corrupted and things stop working. It's ridiculous. And when we have a problem and try to put in a ticket Day support does their best to fend us off and make us pay extra, saying that we need to isolate the problem to non-custom components. The problem with that is, Day Software employees built many of the custom components, but support still won't support them. If financial times weren't so tough I would recommend dropping the Day project and trying to recoup some of the money from them via the court system. What's irritating is that I was saying this was a mistake a year ago. I knew their software was crap after just reading through the training materials. Initially I thought the training book was from an old version of the software (circa 2000-2001), but when I found out it was the latest/greatest I knew it was trouble. I raised my concerns in the best way that I could being the new guy, but was told that it was a done deal. So, now all I can do is complain about it and warn others to stay far far away from Day Software.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:52 AM

I have recently start working with Days CMS through communique development environment 4.x
My problem is that i was trying to debug JSP in CQDE and have initialized the debugger via Tools -> Initialized JSP Debugging System.
Now if i want to set up a Breakpoint in any JSP I am not allowed to do that.

I went through the help provided by CQDE and get the following steps to start debugger
  • Select the JSP Debugger from the Tools menu in the Communiqué 3 IDE. The debugger is already configured to connect to the default port so you don’t need to specify any login parameters:
  • In the Web Apps View select the JSP file that you want to debug, double click to open it. Go to the line in the JSP editor where the breakpoint should be set a click F9. A red dot will appear left of the code line.
  • To start debug your script you must simply execute it.

But the avove steps are not working. The set Breakpoint is in disabled form and doesn't allowed to set a breakpoint.

Thanks in advance if any one can help
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:30 PM

Did you read the above post? This is not a Day Communique help post. This is a post to keep people away from this absolute steaming pile of crap. The problems you are experiencing are no doubt due to that fact, or the fact that he documentation is inadequate (or a combination of the two). Even if I did know what the problem is (which I don't) I would never promote Day's products by helping people use them. If you have a support contract with them I suggest you put in a ticket. Good luck though because they will do everything they can to avoid helping you. Better yet, if you hold any sway with people who make buying decisions I'd recommend a more standards-based and proven Java EE (and/or Spring) technologies + database.
Was This Post Helpful? 1

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

Someone just Thanked me for this post, which I hope means that they decided against using Day software.

I recently took another offer at a company that doesn't have its head up it's a** by using Day Software. Believe it or not I had multiple offers from companies around the country, including MTV Networks on Broadway in NY city to work on projects using Day software. Needless to say I turned them down with extreme prejudice.
Was This Post Helpful? 1

#9 Guest_Day CQ User*

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

View PostProgrammist, on 30 May 2008 - 01:03 PM, said:

Our company has embraced Day Communiqué software as a content management system and I am stumped as to why. Going through the documentation and training manuals and using the clunky Communiqué Development Environment has left me with a really bad taste in my mouth about it. Can anyone tell me why you would want to use this product over an application container (e.g. JBoss)? Does the underlying JSR-170-compliant content repository make it somehow worth the pain? Any insight would be appreciated.

Stuck with it here too. It is some crappy software with some really lackluster documentation for what they charge. We hired Day to do some customization for us (since the docs are so bad) and they code they turned back barely worked, was poorly done and had little aspects of quality code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

Earlier this year I got word that my old company canceled the Day project after 2+ years and millions of dollars down the drain. What an utter waste of time and money.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 Guest_Nathan*

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:44 AM

Where is this documetation you speak of?
I've been to http://dev.day.com/docs/en.html
...but the link to http://docs.day.com/...mmunique_4.html requires LDAP authentication.
Why do you have to provide credentials to view documentation?
Was This Post Helpful? 0

Page 1 of 1