2 Replies - 579 Views - Last Post: 04 June 2008 - 08:45 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

A Few Newbie Questions

Post icon  Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:56 PM

I have never used ASP.net and have had little web creating experience outside of front page....I am fairly new to C# but can manage my way around....My boss wants me to design a calendar for their website that can be linked to a database of somesort....So I know this is a really basic question, but I can't seem to find anything that explains this on the web...in design view how do you seperate things to place at different places on the page (like a floating text box or something)? Do you use panels? Any help or direction to help is appreciated! Thanks!

-Rusty

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: A Few Newbie Questions

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: A Few Newbie Questions

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:09 AM

A panel is just a container control for ASP controls that are added programmatically, similar to the placeholder control.
Placing things in a specific position would be handled by putting the controls inside a div tag and specifying where they go with the corresponding css, which can also be manipulated through program logic..

View Postcbr4rusty, on 2 Jun, 2008 - 08:56 PM, said:

I have never used ASP.net and have had little web creating experience outside of front page....I am fairly new to C# but can manage my way around....My boss wants me to design a calendar for their website that can be linked to a database of somesort....So I know this is a really basic question, but I can't seem to find anything that explains this on the web...in design view how do you seperate things to place at different places on the page (like a floating text box or something)? Do you use panels? Any help or direction to help is appreciated! Thanks!

-Rusty

This post has been edited by crcapps: 03 June 2008 - 10:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: A Few Newbie Questions

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:45 AM

What crcapps says is true but from what you say, you just want to basically move stuff around in your design view.

Assuming you're using Visual Studio 2005, in design view right click the control (textbox or calendar or whatever you want to move) > select "style" > click "position" > click the "position mode" drop-down and select "absolutely position".
This will enable you to drag that control around the screen.

It's not always the best way to position stuff, but will get you going.

Hope that helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1