N-way Software Testing

Test case Generation

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 3200 Views - Last Post: 18 September 2008 - 11:40 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

N-way Software Testing

Post icon  Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:42 PM

Testing is important part in software development cycle. Test case generation can be done either through analysis (white box testing) or from the input/ output relation (black box testing).
for large systems that have many interacted parameters (variables) with options (values) it is desired to test using systematic approaches. One of these approaches is t-way testing, where t is the strength of coverage.
The Generation of test case that covers each pairs of parameters is called pair
wise testing (t=2) , and covers each triples called 3-way testing and so forth.
the generation of test case is NP_completeness problem( no unique solution for minimal number of test case) and so different strategies exist.
The strategies that cover variable t are called n-way strategies.

During testing of many software we find that code coverage is doing well with pairwise testing.

The question here how we can find suitable case study that required n-way testing?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: N-way Software Testing

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: N-way Software Testing

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

With google!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:02 PM

Sounds like a homework question to me?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:39 AM

I know little bit about testing field, but I am not getting exact answer for your problem
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:14 PM

View Post1lacca, on 4 Jun, 2008 - 12:53 PM, said:

With google!

Welcome friend,

It's ok. But How one can formalize the parameters and doing the test??

View PostPsychoCoder, on 4 Jun, 2008 - 01:02 PM, said:

Sounds like a homework question to me?

Welcome friend.
Actually its real discussion rather than h/w. The result we optain mean that the programmers put non_interacted parameters in their applications. So, It is hard to find such system that really required N-way interaction.

View Postgetzephyr, on 5 Jun, 2008 - 01:39 AM, said:

I know little bit about testing field, but I am not getting exact answer for your problem

Welcome friend.
Don't worry. But when you find such as system notify us.
Regards.

This post has been edited by miy_alkhiro: 06 June 2008 - 07:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:07 AM

As professional test engineer I am going to reply to it.
For all my carrear I have never heard of n-way testing, neither in my testing courses nor from someone. Though, I presume that if your program does execute some business workflow (a way) or many of them (the ways) then this might be a case. In other words, n--way testing would be E2E test back and forth with respect to the test paths that are possible in your application. What I mean by "test path" is just a test scenario that includes sequence of test steps in the logical order.
Though if we are talking about path or branch tests (white-box methodology) then n-way might be execution/test of this variable throughout all code units.
Also I assume that n-way testing means something else, something that is just called the way I did not get use to. You will need to ask QA guys for that, or more likely - methodology QA guys. It's all about theory, IMHO, that's from the Brainbench pool of questions.

Thx.

This post has been edited by davegeek: 05 August 2008 - 07:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:40 AM

View Postdavegeek, on 5 Aug, 2008 - 07:07 AM, said:

As professional test engineer I am going to reply to it.
For all my carrear I have never heard of n-way testing, neither in my testing courses nor from someone. Though, I presume that if your program does execute some business workflow (a way) or many of them (the ways) then this might be a case. In other words, n--way testing would be E2E test back and forth with respect to the test paths that are possible in your application. What I mean by "test path" is just a test scenario that includes sequence of test steps in the logical order.
Though if we are talking about path or branch tests (white-box methodology) then n-way might be execution/test of this variable throughout all code units.
Also I assume that n-way testing means something else, something that is just called the way I did not get use to. You will need to ask QA guys for that, or more likely - methodology QA guys. It's all about theory, IMHO, that's from the Brainbench pool of questions.

Thx.

Thanks davegeek
N-way testing refers to cobiotorial explosion problem for generating test case, examples include IPO, IPOG, AETG, Jenny
the aims for these tools is to generate test suite, that covered the inteaction between tuples.
the question to be clear, where we can use tese test suite ( speacilly fr higher order interaction)?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1